A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Petty Hates

Post 2861

The Groob

"Who will be Christmas number one?"

Load of nonsense, isn't it? It would mean something if we saw an increase in the quality of music over Christmas but as the music this week is the same as any other week then...who cares?

Petty Hates

Post 2862

HonestIago

Bratz dolls. My aunt bought a couple for the young daughter of a friend and they are just disgusting, thin and with lollypop heads. It sickens me that we are giving kids stuff with promotes such an unhealthy bodily shape. Had to hold my tongue though because its Christmas. Other dolls are probably just as bad, it's just I saw these today

Having to hold my tongue because it's Christmas. I'm not Christian and I don't whinge in front of young kids, I should be allowed to air my gripes without being told it's improper.

Petty Hates

Post 2863

AgProv2

"People who won't accept friendly advice...

When stinky people sit next to you on the bus (like yesterday when the guy who sat next to me smelled like he'd pooed himself)."

Petty hate: not being able to locate the topic and discussion thread concerning the time when somebody did pooh themself on the bus (from memory, it was the 197 Manchester-Burnage)and - worst - it was high summer, July or August...

So sorry, can't link to this thread as unable to find it... but it's out there somewhere!

Petty Hates

Post 2864

AgProv2

And maybe (being male and a mere uncle who's expected to pay for the damn things and not have opinions) I'm missing the point about Bratz dolls, but they seem to be designed and dressed like that to promote a child-prostitute chic? Tacky, tacky and ten times tacky...

Petty Hates

Post 2865

Yael Smith

I wouldn't go as far as child prostitution, but if you have a look at Barbie, and Cindy, and god knows what other names they gave them, that's just what they look like- and I guess SOMEONE sits there and thinks that that's what little girls want. It's been going on since at least the 80's, and frankly if you look at Action Man and his.... gang<?> - they look like a bag of muscles and a teeny tiny head on the top. Is that what little boys want? I doubt it. But they just *have* to have it, none the less. I find it all disgusting...

Petty Hates

Post 2866

The Groob

Ikea.

It's okay if you go there once or twice a year but when you're with someone who wants to go there ten minutes after the last visit it's a drag.

Petty Hates

Post 2867

The Groob

I'm gonna sound a bit 'Daily Mail' here, but I don't think that Gordon Ramsey should have been recognised in the honours list, as he sets a bad example and sends the message 'you can make something of yourself by being obnoxious and rude'. smiley - 2cents

Petty Hates

Post 2868

AgProv2

I've worked in one or two professional kitchens over the years. None as critically exalted as Ramseys, although they've included one five-star eaterie.

I have to say (in Gordon's defence) that he is typical of many head chefs and nowhere near as extreme as some.

OK, to an outsider he sounds appalling and you wonder why people stand it. But also ask why people queue up and compete to work for him and learn with him, and why long-time staff, almost without exception, praise his positive abilities as an employer and teacher.

This is typical of the hothouse atmossphere of a professional kitchen: nobody gets cossetted, you cannot afford to carry passengers, you MUST pull your weight. To anyone who's done the job, Gordon Ramsey is a familar figure. We've all worked for a Ramsey-ish Head Chef at some point - although in most cases nowhere near as talented.

And most important - his staff respect him and appreciate him. I don't think it comes out enough as to just how good an employer Ramsey is. When the heat is off and there's no need to beast the commis staff for the good of their souls, GR does have a rep for being a caring, considerate, boss.

All things considered - I'd work for him. I know there's praise alongside the growling, and GR does give this where its deserved!

Petty Hates

Post 2869

The Groob

Ewif tells me the award is in recognition of his charity which is a different kettle of fish.

Petty Hates

Post 2870

The Groob

*charity work.

Petty Hates

Post 2871

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Not really a petty hate, but a GREAT BIG hate:

Bob Crow.

Petty Hates

Post 2872

Elentari

Who?

Petty Hates

Post 2873

The Groob

New Years plans ballsed up good 'n' proper kelli? smiley - winkeye

I did have a problem with BC when he was being interviewed on 7th July and craftily weaved union matters into the conversation. Luckily the interviewer was wise to it and made him stick to the subject.

Petty Hates

Post 2874

The Groob

A petty one for sure, but it bugs me. I find it pretty annoying when I visit a blog I like and write a mail to the blogger to compliment them and they don't bother replying.

Petty Hates

Post 2875

littlemightyblue2(Not around much at the moment)

Pet hate people in work wanting to wash my cupi like to do it
A)it gives me a break.
B)You just know they wont wash it properly.

If you have crisps or sweets (without wrappers) open on your desk and someone sticks there hand in and takes aload.Its discusting they end up in the bin you don't know were there hand has been or if it's even cleansmiley - yuk

Petty Hates

Post 2876

AgProv2

We work in social care (residential care of the elderly) and a REALLY good guarantee that people wash their hands thoroughly after performing, shall we say, necessary tasks, is to leave a large bag of unwrapped sweets available in the carers' rest room.

Washing hands THOROUGHLY after performing continence tasks therefore becomes a self-policing thing - everyone makes sure everyone else scrubs up!

(As Terry Pratchett said about nurses: just throw chocolates and stand well back)

AP (Machiavellian manager)

Petty Hates

Post 2877

littlemightyblue2(Not around much at the moment)

Pet hate: When people hang up the telephone on yousmiley - grr

Petty Hates

Post 2878

HonestIago

Exams, I'm just sick of them. I've had them in January and June for 11 years now. January is miserable enough without them and they just ruin May and June, usualy the nicest weather we get

Petty Hates

Post 2879

The Groob

I don't like that sign on motorways "Get in lane". It wouldn't cost too much extra to have "Get in lane please" surely?

Petty Hates

Post 2880

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

People twisting your words

Key: Complain about this post