A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What is it with breasts?

Post 4321

IctoanAWEWawi

smiley - yikes
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1079669/Drinking-cups-coffee-day-shrinks-womens-breasts.html

as it says it claims "Scientists have discovered that drinking just three cups of coffee a day can make women's breasts shrink."

Oh, wait a minute, it's in the mail - forget I mentioned it smiley - winkeye

What is it with breasts?

Post 4322

A Super Furry Animal

Worry not, Ictoan, it was also reported in the left-wing media.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

What is it with breasts?

Post 4323

Serephina

smiley - bigeyes

What is it with breasts?

Post 4324

Mol - on the new tablet

I have just shared that with my husband ...

... and he's interested in applying to assist with the research smiley - biggrin

Mol

What is it with breasts?

Post 4325

IctoanAWEWawi

indeed RF - the actual paper is here
http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/6604687a.html

and the stories (certainly the one in the mail, not read the others) are mis-reporting it (hey, there's a surprise). What they were actually looking at was the relationship between caffeine and breast cancer. The conclusion (which I think I can post ok as I have provided the URL above) is

"...the CYP1A2*1F genotype significantly modified the relationship between coffee consumption and breast volume in non-users of hormonal contraception. It is likely that various compounds in coffee exert a direct effect on the breast epithelium. ... our finding is compatible with earlier reports of a protective effect of coffee on breast cancer risk restricted to women with the CYP1A2*1F C-allele."

I.e in women with a particular version of a particular gene, especially those with larger breast size and of a leaner build, caffeine consumption is associated with lower risk of breast cancer and one method whereby this might act is through a reduction of breast volume.

Which is actually a useful finding I think and quite specific.

also interesting was

"Our main finding was a significant interaction between coffee consumption, CYP1A2*1F genotype and breast volume among young healthy women who did not use hormonal contraceptives."

I.e. only happens for a particular version of the gene and for particular lifestyles.

What is it with breasts?

Post 4326

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

An article in last week's Salisbury Journal reports on a book by English Heritage that is 'littered with mistakes'.

Thus in one entry, a key mythical figure at Stonehenge A9564942, Aurelius Ambrosius (believed to be the historical basis for King Arthur) was mistakenly called Aureoles Ambrosius.

In commenting on this, the magazine, British Archaeology commented,'Besides, we cannot miss a spelling error that turned a historical character into breasts and creamed rice'. smiley - laugh

What is it with breasts?

Post 4327

IctoanAWEWawi

like it smiley - smiley

What is it with breasts?

Post 4328

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

Breasts and creamed rice - two of my favourite things....

Raindrops on noses and whiskers on kittens,
Warm ample boobies you grab with your mittens.... etc etc

Bassman smiley - cool

What is it with breasts?

Post 4329

Xanatic

I wondered if perhaps someone had anything new to say about breasts.

What is it with breasts?

Post 4330

No,

Just to say I love 'em and wish bralessness/bare (smiley - disco/\smiley - disco) would come back into fashion smiley - winkeye

A

What is it with breasts?

Post 4331

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

I've skipped the backlog so I don't know if this is new, but my Human Sexuality teacher informed me that men's fascination with breasts is a result of cultural cues. Several more-isolated cultures in the world have no particular interest in breasts.

smiley - pirate

What is it with breasts?

Post 4332

IctoanAWEWawi

how about this then?
Plastic surgery to fit an internal bra:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1230145/Internal-bra-gives-women-permanent-lift.html

"Its inventors claim it has none of the drawbacks of a breast implant and will continue to look good for years without sagging."

What is it with breasts?

Post 4333

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Can you get that in M&S? I would *love* that!

What is it with breasts?

Post 4334

IctoanAWEWawi

Not just boobies
M&S floating boobies!

What is it with breasts?

Post 4335

Emmily ~ Roses are red, Peas are green, My face is a laugh, But yours is a scream

smiley - laugh Hi BigAl, thought you'd left hootoo...when I saw this thread near the top, I guessed you'd posted recently.

smiley - sorry you want me to say something about (smiley - disco /\smiley - disco)

Hmmm...to all you men out there - 'I've got them and you haven't' smiley - nahnah

Holds up a banner 'braless and proud'

As mother nature intended. When you men wear underwear the pulls your tackle up in an unnatrual position, then I'll consider wearing a bra smiley - evilgrin

Emmily
smiley - bluebutterfly

What is it with breasts?

Post 4336

Hi there smiley - bluebutterflysmiley - titsmiley - handcuffssmiley - winkeye.

Nice to hear from you. I still smiley - lurk arounfd hootoo and sometimes pop into the more trivial threads, but I'm not contributing much to the EG or PR at present.

A.

What is it with breasts?

Post 4337

Alfster

Emmily

If I had them they wouldn't be so much fun once I've got my hands on them...

I prefer having them by proxy.

What is it with breasts?

Post 4338

I think if I had 'em I'd spend all my time playing with 'em (mind you, I guess this is also what women say about penisessmiley - erm

What is it with breasts?

Post 4339

A Super Furry Animal

>> to all you men out there - 'I've got them and you haven't' <<

http://luciferloves.us/image/funny/Archive/moobs1.jpg

(Warning: gross.)

RFsmiley - evilgrin

What is it with breasts?

Post 4340

I detest 'gross' so I don't think I'll open that, RF smiley - 2cents

A

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more