A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How many conversation threads are you subscribed to?

Post 21

Woodpigeon

Thanks Bob - I thought some stats had been released somewhere!

For the record, I am currently 196.

Post 22

MrsCloud

Or change the number next to skip in the url when you click on more postings until you only get one left on the screen and add that to the number skipped.

Post 23

Azara

I don't think either Gnomon or Mina was counting threads 25 at a time!

If you go the second or later pages of your Forum Postings, the address in the address bar will have a 'shownumber-skipnumber' bit at the end. If you make a guess for 'skip' 100 or 500 or 1000 or whatever then you can see what comes up. If there are no postings at skip1000, then you have less threads than that, and can work backwards.

This method tells me that I am subscribed to 238 threads (200 too few, 250 too many, etc.)

Azara
smiley - rose

Post 24

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

smiley - yikesSo many ways to find out the same information...

Post 25

GreyDesk

Taking up the cudgels of my own idea, I've done a bit of digging on behalf of some of the more visible researchers around here. And these are the number of threads they are in.

Ottox - 4,371
Galaxy Babe - 4,182
Mina - 3,318
Orcus - 1,804
Dragonfly - 1,753
Shea - 1,745
~jwf~ - 1,095
Bossel - 1,066

And the italics still haven't unhidden the threads dated before about mid September 2000, so there are bound to be plenty more for some of the above.

If I switch for a moment to influence, this one might surprise some:
Arpeggio for LeKZ - only 119!

Post 26

Whisky

Geez, I appear to be subscribed to 1860 different conversations, I really aught to tidy up a bit smiley - laugh

Post 27

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I thought I was a young'un and this confirms it.

Post 28

I'm not really here

I wish I had read to the end of this conversation before I worked it out for myself!

And I unsubscribed from loads of threads and various entries when I got my new job! I wanted to be able to get in from work, and not find all the threads I'd been rading at work repeated on Mina's page!

Ottox and Galaxy Babe! Busy, busy, busy! smiley - bubbly

Post 29

GreyDesk

*click* 3,319

Post 30

MrsCloud

What I always wonder is how obvious I am to the rest of the community as I know there are certain people I see in various converstations all over the place like Mina, 2legs, Glaxy Babe, A girl Called Ben etc but am I prevelent enough for people to see me in a conversation and know who I am or do they just think I'm some random person?

er I hope that made sense, I know it's all a bit egomanical but it's something I always wonder in real life to to people remember me or not?

(I never know 'cos I have a stupied memory for stuff like this but always wonder if other... oh I give up.)

Post 31

I'm not really here

Me and Blues Shark both recognise your name. smiley - smiley We've 'seen you about' as we call it. smiley - ok
I even visited your page for a nosey once, although I can't remember now what's on it.

Post 32

MrsCloud

smiley - biggrin yay someone does actually read it! Have just got round to figuring out guideML so it has pretty piccies now.

Post 33

I'm not really here

smiley - run

ps Blues shark said I was rude to say I couldn't remember what was on your page. smiley - tongueout to him. smiley - winkeye

Post 34

Demon Drawer

1054 (5) currently viaable but only starts from my 10 month of residency so I now ther are bound to be more, plus I have other with other persona, which I haven't even bothered to count. smiley - smiley

Post 35

MrsCloud

erk 10months I've been on er since June thats (counts) oh only 8months but still got a few more then me there

Mina: it's ok I don't mind smiley - smiley

Post 36

Demon Drawer

No I've been here over 2 years have unsubscribed to numerous forum have some which may never reappear again lost in the mists of h2g2 and when all this here was GOO!

Post 37

Demon Drawer

And that figure of mine has been since I stopped being so prolific. Gulp!!!!

Post 38

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Geez, thanks GD.
Those are very interesting stats:

"Ottox - 4,371
Galaxy Babe - 4,182
Mina - 3,318
Orcus - 1,804
Dragonfly - 1,753
Shea - 1,745
~jwf~ - 1,095
Bossel - 1,066"

But before anyone jumps to any conclusions let me raise awareness of two more important variables, the ones on the <./>info</.> page being 'number of postings' and 'length of postings'. These scores are recorded without consideration of the number of threads involved.

Theoretically one could subscribe to only a very few threads and still have the most postings, jabbering in multiple postings to a single thread. And you really only need one thread to be long-winded. You will seldom see me on either list except when I'm editing the AGG/GAG page for <./>thepost</.> Every time I update it, to 'save' my work while doing the layout, it scores a few thousand more words to my account. smiley - smiley

My point is that a high number of conversation threads cannot be construed in any way as a reliable gauge of my pompous verbosity. My 1,095 threads can really only be said to demonstrate an undisciplined curiosity, an inability to stay focused and a total insensitivity to the privacy of others.

*waves to good old Mrs McCloud who seems to appear and disappear with the weather - constancy, that's the ticket*

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Post 39

Dancer (put your advert here)

I have 2530, and unlike some, I do unsub***ibe sometimes.

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 40

MrsCloud

smiley - smileysmiley - blush

Key: Complain about this post