A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 1241

toybox

Just finished "The Code Book" by Simon Singh. Started "Equal Rites" by Terry Pratchett yesterday smiley - smiley.

Post 1242

a girl called Ben

Isn't 'The Code Book' great? Have you read 'Cryptonomicon' by Neil Stephenson? A highly recommended fictional counterpoint to 'The Code Book'.

I have just started 'The Wee Free Men' by Pratchett.

B

Post 1243

Just Justin... (ACE)

At the moment, i'm reading 'war of the worlds', by H.G.Well, (I think)

Post 1244

Cheerful Dragon

Just started "Sharpe's Rifles / Sharpe's Eagle" by Bernard Cornwell (omnibus edition, so two books).

Post 1245

dasilva

Recently back in print, the comic book of "The Crow" smiley - winkeye

Post 1246

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

They're much better than the series, although that was good too but there were a lot of diferences, my ex hubby had the whole set of the books

Post 1247

Abi

I am attempting Foucault's Pendulum again.

I only lasted a couple of chapters last time, so fingers crossed.

Post 1248

Element9inety2wo

Hey, I liked Foucault's Pendulum smiley - smiley It gets a bit dense in the middle but it's worth sticking with it.

& did anyone who read The Code Book actually crack the examples at the end? Thinking back (...hmm...) I recall solving (wait for iiiit...) Two! smiley - smiley

Post 1249

Jim Lynn

They were all cracked eventually. The hardest one took a team of people and a big distributed computing effort, as I recall.

I think I got three of the first four before I gave up.

Post 1250

Ythika the purple giraffe - Minister for Unusual Musical Instruments

I'm having a return to childhood of sorts by reading The Jungle Books. A return of sorts as I hadn't read it before and didn't realise it was Books rather than Book until a few days ago.

Post 1251

White Hart

'Memoirs of a Geisha' by Arthur Golden, although at the moment I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth persevering with...I have a suspicion that it isn't quite going to engage my interest.

Post 1252

Little Mischief

And I was going to ask you how you were liking it. I keep seeing it everywhere and thinking it might be interesting, but there are just so many other books to be read. Let me know if it picks up smiley - smiley

Post 1253

White Hart

I ended up skimming most of 'Memoirs of a Geisha' this morning...it was OK enough that I wanted to see where it went, but not enough for me to want to give it the time for a close reading. Not really my kind of thing; I thought there was probably too much background detail and not enough in the way of plot and character, which may be to be expected as I think it said in the author bio that Golden was a historian who turned to novel-writing...

So now I've moved on to 'Bring the Jubilee' by Ward Moore, a 50s sf classic set in an America where the South won the Civil War.

Post 1254

The Groob

'Wouldn't it be nice' autobiography of Brian Wilson.

Among other torments, his dad made him strip off and have a dump on the floor in front of the family. No wonder he turned to drugs.

Post 1255

Little Mischief

Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer
Good fun, quick read smiley - ok

This was mentioned on the Bookworms page but I don't know how many of you are subscribed there so I thought I'd bring it up here. We've decided we'd like to submit a book review to smiley - thepost every week, our first one will hit the stands tomorrow smiley - ok.

If you'd like to get in on the project, the Book Review development page is at A1042859, and the finished product can be found at A1044631. Come on over and check it out!

Post 1256

Bagpuss

Anne Frank's diary. Or, as it appears on my receipt from the library "The diary of a young girl", which sounds a bit dodgy. Anyhow, tis good. She's a surprisingly thoughtful adolescent, and that's not just because the translator uses lots of big words. I think my favourite bit so far is right near the beginning where she wonders why anyone would ever bother reading a thirteen-year-old girl's diary.

Post 1257

toybox

A broad called Ben - post 1242: sorry I'm late to answer your question. I smiley - love The Code Book, one of the best non-fiction I've read lately (or at all as a matter of fact). I've never heard of Cryptonomicon before but will definitely have a look. Thanks!

smiley - cheers

Post 1258

MartheFrosk

I feel like the most boring person around. I read the history of Norway, Nr 1. (from the beginning until after the viking era) It is very funny, it it hadn't been for the fact that it is all rubbish (thank you slartibartfast)

Post 1259

Tilly - back in mauve

I'm halfway though 'Hearts in Atlantis' by Stephen King, plus nowaydays I find myself leafing through 'Hollywood Musicals' - I like looking at the pretty pictures smiley - bigeyes

Post 1260

Cheerful Dragon

In a couple of days I'm going on holiday - two weeks camping in Scotland. I'm trying to take enough reading matter to see me through the holiday, so here's my selection:

The Weaker Vessel by Antonia Fraser (Women during the 17th Century)
Elizabeth I by Anne Somerset (I think)
Shogun by James Clavell
I Claudius by Robert Graves (possibly. I may go for something lighter)

Key: Complain about this post