A Conversation for Ask h2g2

(The Return of) What book are you reading at this time?

Post 2941

Shirps

I reckon all of us that have managed to persevere with Baudolino deserve a medal!! I agree though in it's brilliance, but just the long-winded bits are smiley - yawn

Well, having read through all comments about the Da Vinci Code - I may just read it. I had been put off, but so many of you seem to have enjoyed it - as a work of fiction, I presume?

Looking forward to beginning Russka - just finishing off The Favoured Child, which is a lot better than Wideacre, but, again, a bit long-winded. Do authors get paid for the number of words they get published smiley - laugh

smiley - dog

Post 2942

aka Bel - A87832164

>>Do authors get paid for the number of words they get published <<

As far as I know, they used to do, see Dickens and Balzac, but not completely sure about this.smiley - erm

Post 2943

Sho - employed again!

*hangs up banners and blows up balloons*
anyone want some smiley - cakesmiley - bubblysmiley - ale or smiley - oj? I'm having an "I've finished Digital Fortress" party.

I may burn it as entertainment.

Baudolino is ok, the beginning and up to just over half way are excellent. then...zzzzzzzz

Who's reading Silas Marner? I did that for O-level in ... well, a long long time ago (ok 1980) and I have loved it ever since, but I've never really liked any of her other books.

Anyway, I'm going to chicken. It's time for The Two Towers. I've put it off as long as I could.
smiley - elf

Post 2944

psychocandy-moderation team leader

I'd decided, thanks to some of you who also hated "The Da Vinci Code" but liked "Valis", I'm re-reading it. I'm also re-reading "Finnegans Wake" during my commute to and from work each day, and re-reading "American Hardcore" in the bath.

I'm watching closely for recommendations of stuff I haven't read yet. There's been lots here, sooner or later someone will suggest something that's my speed! smiley - smiley

Post 2945

Sho - employed again!

I'm also reading Last Chance to See (mostly during mealtimes)

Post 2946

a visitor to planet earth

Slaughter House 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Post 2947

Milos

I enjoyed DaVinci Code, I'm in the middle of reading it for the second time (illustrated version).

I'm also in the middle of The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett, but I've misplaced it at the moment.

And because my sister keeps telling me how fun his books are, I'm reading Clive Cussler's Sahara. So far, I enjoyed the film more, but since the general rule is that the book is always better I'm expecting this to change at some point.

I've considered reading HP5 again before next month, but I may settle for listening to it on CD during my commute.

Sho, how old are the Gruesomes? I read the first one to my son when he was about 5 I guess, followed by the second and third. I told him I wouldn't read the fourth one to him, when he could read it for himself he'd be old enough for it.

Post 2948

Sho - employed again!

the Gruesomes are 6 (nearly 7) and 8 - I'm thinking along the same lines, we'll read this one, then leave it a while, then the next and then the next. By that time #1 will be up to speed with reading in English and should be able to cope with it.

Post 2949

naughtinik4_Goddess of Funky Music & Saturday Night Mischief

I'm currently reading Take a Break does that count? smiley - biggrin

Post 2950

Shirps

smiley - erm that's "novel", a book(?)that may count? smiley - laugh

"What book are you reading at this time?" - that's what counts!!

smiley - dogsmiley - ok

Post 2951

fords - number 1 all over heaven

smiley - laugh

No.

smiley - tongueout

Post 2952

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

almost finished rereading 'Earthly Powers' by Anthony Burgess and about to reread 'The Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmerman Bradley
I need to find some new authors smiley - erm

Post 2953

>almost finished rereading 'Earthly Powers' by Anthony Burgess and about to reread 'The Mists of Avalon' by Marion Zimmerman Bradley<

I enjoyed both of those books!

I've been on a re-reading kick myself lately. Need to get some new materials. I *did* order a copy of "If Chins Could Kill", there's one I haven't read yet.

Post 2954

aka Bel - A87832164

Ever read ' The return of the native' by Thomas Hardy ? I've started reading that, butr I guess it will take me a very long time to read smiley - biggrin

Post 2955

Shirps

Ah! Mists of Avalon - I remember it well - luvverly smiley - winkeyesmiley - biggrin

smiley - dog

Post 2956

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Never read 'The return of the native' and haven't read any Thomas Hardy in a long time so perhaps I'll do that

ta B'Elena smiley - smiley

Psychocandy have you read any of the other books MZB wrote in the 'Avalon' series? I picked them up 2nd-hand but couldn't get into them.

Post 2957

Hi Blackberry Cat, I've read all of the Avalon books by MZB, the only other one I really remember getting "into" was "The Forest House".

Didn't know if it was my attention span, or what. The copies I'd picked up of "The Fall of Atlantis" and "The Firebrand", both of which sounded interesting, were so poorly edited by the publisher they were unreadable. smiley - sadface

Post 2958

I'll give them another try, sometimes you just have to be in the right frame of mind for an author smiley - ok

I never have any problems with attention span when I'm reading, mostly because I am probably reading rather than doing what I should be getting on with smiley - biggrin

Post 2959

aka Bel - A87832164

I can't recall having read the two mentioned books, but I've read most of the 'Darkover' books and really liked them.smiley - smiley

Post 2960

well I've made a decision (something I do very rarely and only after much procrastination smiley - winkeye)

I'm off to Peru in September so it'd make sense to read more about Peru so I'm off to the library this weekend assuming I can get myself in gear smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more