A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3021

Wand'rin star

I'd hate to be there when you DID understand something then - word perfect. It's the earliest sentence of written English prose and, as such, should be somewhere in the British English thread. King Alfred started a lot of things in England (including English cookery). One of his brighter ideas was getting travellers who turned up at court to tell him about their wanderings and this chap Uther/Arthur kicked off by saying he lived farther north than anyone else. The only word that doesn't exist in modern English is "bude" which was the past tense of "bide"(to dwell), but we still use 'bide', 'abide', 'abode', even if less often now that Wembley is being demolishedsmiley - star

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3022

Mycroft

Wand'rinsmiley - star, if he lived farther north than anyone else, Uther wasn't a Norman, he was Father Christmassmiley - smiley.

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3023

Solsbury

There will be another stadium to sing in eventually. I mean they have to finish the new one in Manchester for next summer.

Isn't Bude in Cornwall?

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3024

Kaeori

How does it qualify as 'English'?

smiley - cappuccino

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3025

Gnomon - time to move on

Kaeori, I assume your question is, how does Old English qualify as English? It is the original language that present day English descended from, but it is also close to the original languages that German, Dutch and Scandinavian descended from. It is very far removed from Latin and the Latin-based languages, although modern English had borrowed hugely from these languages.

You can see how close it is to English in that I who have never learnt the language was able to guess exactly what the sentence Star wrote meant just by extrapolation and a bit of guesswork.

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3026

Wand'rin star

Wembley stadium was the national footie place, but that's not your question is it?On cup final day, it is traditional to sing the hymn 'Abide with me'
Many Cornishmen do not consider themselves English and some of them are trying to revive the Cornish language, but that's not your question either is it?
See what you can find out about Aelfred tha Kyning then. He is generally considered to have been an allround good thing and by winning the battle of Ethandun ensured that ALL of us speak Anglisc rather than Norse.As I mentioned above, the sentence is the first known bit of English prose. "Arthur told his lord, King Alfred, that he lived the fathest north of all men" smiley - star

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3027

Wand'rin star

Actually there's a rather good biography of Alfred the Great on the Queen's website smiley - star

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3028

Livzy

..there sure is - its a well known fact that Freddy Mercury and old King Alf were drinking buddies..

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3029

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

.... especially when he was going slightly mad....

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3030

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

No I don't think it was Alfred that Freddy had the thing for.
It was that silly Cnut! smiley - silly

smiley - peacedove

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3031

Wand'rin star

who definitely was not speaking English smiley - star
As always, John has provided the first laugh of the day.

Is Norman ..normal?

Post 3032

Potholer

I've been away (or at least tired and apathetic) for a while. Has anything much happened recently?

Too much 'grass'...

Post 3033

Kaeori

Indeed, Potholer, much has happened. And nothing more astonishing than the revelation that smiley - sheep may not be stupid after all.

'The Times' notes today that smiley - sheep have a keen intellect and can remember dozens of faces, learn complex tasks and even pine for absent friends and shepherds, according to a new study.

"They can recall at least 50 sheep faces for a period of about two years and can identify individual human beings, researchers at the Babraham Institute in Cambridge have found."

Reseachers became suspicious when they noticed smiley - sheep reading the journal 'Nature' between grassy snacks.

Read the whole amazing story online. I've put the link on my page(http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/U40652 - that's my page, not the smiley - sheep link).

So, to justify this posting: is 'baa' an English word, an international word, or just a smiley - sheep word?

smiley - cappuccino

Too much 'grass'...

Post 3034

You can call me TC

I seem to remember someone somewhere in the dark ages did an experiment to find out the origin of language, the mother of all languages, etc., and isolated two children from birth and let them grow up in a shack somewhere miles from anywhere. It turned out that when they tested the children at the age of about 10 or so, the only words they could say were "baa" - which they had picked up from the local sheep. No idea where I read this, but I have a vague idea that it was in France under one of the Louis.

Too much 'grass'...

Post 3035

Is mise Duncan

Although it is somewhat off topic, I can tell you that French smiley - sheep go 'me-eh'.
(See - reading all those Lucky Luke cartoons did have a use smiley - winkeye )

Too much 'grass'...

Post 3036

Gnomon - time to move on

Kaeori, Baa is undoubtedly a sheep word, but it has also been an English word since 1586. I don't know if sheep in other countries say "baa". Often the noises that animals make in other languages are different from the normal way of spelling them in English. For example, cocks say "cocorico" in France.

Too much 'grass'...

Post 3037

Mycroft

Baa humbug!

Too much 'grass'...

Post 3038

Kaeori

Hmm, seems animals in France are a bit strange. I guess it could be just their French accent, but from what Duncan says, a smiley - sheep in France sounds like a smiley - cat. I wonder what their smiley - cats sound like?

smiley - cappuccino

Too much 'grass'...

Post 3039

manolan

I've always been fascinated by the concept that animals speak different languages around the world. Anyone care to volunteer some more?

Too much 'grass'...

Post 3040

Tefkat

Sorry, no animal languages, but does anyone know where "Parky" comes from?
{{smiley - blue}}

Key: Complain about this post