A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

whats the best book you've read

Post 421

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Hubble bubble by Christina Jones

Post 422

cool_zaphod

"the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" is better than any of them.

Post 423

Eunpuss

The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is one of my top favorites, but my absolute favorite is The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King. (The rest of the series are good too.)

Post 424

The Digital Ninja

Waylander (the first one) by David Gemmel, an awesome book, i must have read it at least 100 times smiley - winkeye

What's the best book you've ever read?

Post 425

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Post 426

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

My bestest ever book is Drachenfels by Jack Yeovil (AKA Kim Newman). It's what fantasy should be... dark, bloody and with shades of grey.

Post 427

Marmite

The Shannara series, by Terry Brooks, totally
magic in more ways than one

Post 428

stargaterdii

The Merro Tree by Katie Waitman

Post 429

Plain2Z

very true, David Gemmel is a fantastic writer.

I've just read a whole load of books by Garth Nix, and they're very good.

But I still stand by Terry Pratchet, and Robert Rankin, deeply deeply funny men

Post 430

fundamentallyflawed

Hmmm... best books. This could take a while...

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts
Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency
The Long, Dark Teatime of the Soul
-Douglas Adams

Animal Farm (which I just read today because I could never find it anywhere)
-George Orwell

A Clockwork Orange
-Anthony Burgess (not sure if that's the correct spelling)

Ishmael
My Ishmael
-Daniel Quinn

Wicked
-Gregory McQuire (I think...)

The Catcher in the Rye (sometimes I feel alone in this one)
-J.D Salinger(spelling?)

There are probably more, but I should probably stop now... also the above mentioned books are in no particular order. There was also a short story by Conan O'Brien that I read when I was younger and liked alot... but I don't remember what it was...

Ah well,
ff smiley - smiley

Post 431

Lord Wolfden - Howl with Pride

Call of the Wild by Jack London

smiley - fullmoon

Post 432

slamdunk69

For fantasy got to be LOTR by JRRT
for an interesting educational read with a humerous angle you coan't go wrong with Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything".
and for an awesome SciFi book Poul Anderson's "Tau Zero" is about as good as it gets.
Dan Browns' "The DaVinci Code" is a good read, goes off a bit in the middle, but really opens the eyes to how the church has corrupted history.
"I will fear no evil" by Robert Heinlein is a fine read, as is his "Door into Summer".
"Cobra" by Timothy Zahn is a good read that would make a GREAT film, surprised Hollywood hasn't done it yet.
"Dragonflight" by Anne McCaffrey was a favourite childhood read of mine.
"The Belgariad" by David Eddings should not be missed by any fantasy fans, a great mix of story and humour and very easy to read.
Sad to say but Tom Clancy's "Without Remorse" merits a mention as an action novel.
I like to think I'm quite a deep thinker, but I've got a demanding job, so I tend not to read anything too deep except when I'm on holiday (which is far too infrequently), hence the disproportionate amount of light reading in my list.

Post 433

fundamentallyflawed

Conan O'Brian? Wow, late night... that should read Arthur Conan Doyle... not sure how that happenedsmiley - biggrin.

Post 434

Also White smiley - fullmoon Fang by Jack London

smiley - fullmoon

Post 435

teri_whoo_77 *Goddess of Whoo* American Ambassador to the Council of Thing (Slightly Odd, Mostly Mellow, Rather Risque)

My favorite comedy series is by the author Robert Asprin. The series is the MYTH series, starting with Myth Directions. It is a well written and engaging story of a boy who wanted to be a professional thief, but instead ended up a magician in the company of demons.

My favorite single book is Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey, and I highly recommend the entire Dragon series by McCaffrey.

Post 436

I enjoyed The Horse Whisperer and The Loop by Nicolas Evans

Post 437

teri_whoo_77 *Goddess of Whoo* American Ambassador to the Council of Thing (Slightly Odd, Mostly Mellow, Rather Risque)

Welcome back Wolfie! The Horse Whisperer as in the same that was converted into a movie w/ Robert Redford?

Post 438

That is the one but the book is better.

Post 439

I've found that in every case I can think of, other than The Princess Bride, that the book is always better than a movie version of the same title.

I hope you had a nice weekend. We've kept What are Your Pets Doing Right Now alive in your absense!

Post 440

Both Jarassic Park books are better than the films

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more