A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

whats the best book you've read

Post 481

Lt. Thrace (formerly Death of Rats and Rodent like humans)

catch 22 is an excellent read! im reading it for an english assignment just now and im really getting into it smiley - biggrin

What's the best book you've ever read?

Post 482

donlope01

Hello
My favorite book is Good Omens by Neil Gaimann and Tery Pratchett or any book written by one of these authors.

Post 483

Kat

Apologies if this has been posted before but my vote goes to "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes - exploration of how Plato's cave relates to real life and how intelligence affects how we deal with the world and it deals with us. I have many favourite books but that one is the best one.

Post 484

Jon Quixote: steaming little purple buns for tea.

Would that be the short story or the extended novel length book?
I almost cried when I read the short story, and I don't normally cry, being a manly sort of man.

Post 485

good omens is an excellent book, but my all time pratchett fave would have to be soul music (being the first pratchet book i ever read)

a close second to the faboulously funny catch 22 would have to be memoirs of a geisha... dont know if anyone on heres read it but its a great literary masterpeice (in my humble opinion) the film came out not too long ago actually...

third fave is definately wuthering heights. great gothic novel

TDOR smiley - mousesmiley - biggrin

Post 486

donlope01

I also read "Memories of a Geisha" and was surprised to love it...indeed, it's not really the kind of book I'm fond of, but it's really well written and I couldn't stop reading.
I'm looking forward to watch the movie.

Post 487

same here! i usually stick like glue to the fantasy and sci fi genres so i was surprised that i liked it so muchsmiley - mousesmiley - smiley

Post 488

donlope01

Well, I think the story is really good and surprising as the world of Geishas is very mysterious and fascinating...

Post 489

yeah, he paints pictures that are vivid and coulourful and seem to stick in the mind. the whole book is very beautifully written, and you definatey learn a lot about old japanese traditions when you read it (all that stuff about the inuo school and tea ceremony is pretty accurate actually) so overall, wow. smiley - smiley

Post 490

MuseSusan

I just saw the film recently and loved it--now I'm desperate to read the book.
Donlope, I have to agree that anything by Pratchett or Gaiman is wonderful, and I very much enjoyed Good Omens. But I have to say that I think I like them both better separate. My favorite Gaiman book is American Gods (and I hear he's doing a sequel!). I liked Anansi Boys, but not nearly as much. As for Pratchett, I'd have to vote for Small Gods (hmm, never realized the connection between those two titles), though Reaper Man is a strong second.

Post 491

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Nightwatch is easily Pratchett's best book. Small Gods is okay I guess... and the less said about Sourcery, Moving Pictures, and Pyramids the better.

Post 492

Kat

"Pyramids" isn't a great book but it does have some nice touches - the assassin guild stuff, You bastard and the bit about the lighthouse.

Post 493

donlope01

I agree with you (Muse Susann) saying that American Gods is maybe the best Gaimann book...it's maybe a kind of nostalgic feeling I have with Good Omens as I read it whan I was younger.
As for Pratchett, I loved the one that is called (if I remember it well) "Mortimer, where the death decide to go on holidays...

Post 494

<> agreed, though i love mort aswell (soul music is the sequel, for those of you that dont know)
another good book is the runaway jury by john grisham and the most amazing man on earth by robert rankin smiley - smileysmiley - mouse

Post 495

Jon Quixote: steaming little purple buns for tea.

Rankin does write some fantastic stuff.

Post 496

MuseSusan

Hmm…haven't read any Rankin. I'll have to check it out.
It's funny, I didn't like Night Watch the first time around, but then I was surprised to find myself thinking about it and thinking about it afterward. I went back and read it again and caught all the things I'd missed the first time around. I think it's because I had only read some of his earliest Rincewind books at the time, and I was expecting him to be a sort of fantasy version of Douglas Adams (and whoever keeps perpetuating that stereotype should be shot). I hear Thud is really good, too, but I'm waiting for the paperback.
I liked Mort, especially since I like Death and most of the books in which he plays a big role are great. Liked Soul Music, but I think Hogfather is better, if we're looking at books that involve Susan. And Thief of Time simply rocks.

Post 497

Identieeze

Everything is Illuminated

Post 498

yers. the lights and stuff. hello all. urmff

Post 499

tropnevad

Surely there is only one best book! "T.H.H.G.T.T.G" smiley - biggrin

Post 500

oohhh, new bbc tv adaptation of hogfather coming soon!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more