A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

closet beliefs

Post 141

DA ; Simply Vicky: Don't get pithy with me!

Yes, tho" I don't believe that it's necessary, God can stick up for Godself. And will. I think that God wants to meet you, as much as you do not want to meet God - just ask! As an experiment even...

closet beliefs

Post 142

Hi, any relation to Jerry Cornelius? What conflicts religious people exacerbate, are/is(?) made up for, in my view, by the ones they mend... It is a tad of a cheap shot to put *all* conflict, war etc., down to religious people, in my view, just as many or more wars are caused by capitalism. Or good old fashioned greed, to put it another way. Religion is just such a great *excuse*! I defiend to the death your right to be irreligious - *but* I resent your desire to blame we religionists for things.
smiley - cat

closet beliefs

Post 143

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

Here'd be a neat trick, Della: define religion. Captialism could certainly be construed in that light, as could the hero-worship and nostalgia that often accompany post-war times.

Why not label it what it is: militant enthusiasm? Just dispense with the object of the enthusiasm; that has little effect as to the nature of the war/strife/&c. caused.

Which, indeed, is Della's point. Hmm. Nifty, how that worked.

--Cooper

closet beliefs

Post 144

a girl called Ben

Well, to me religions are largely defined by 'the god-shaped hole' in the human psyche. Define that, and you get a clearer understanding of the social and psychological dynamics of religions.

***B

closet beliefs

Post 145

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

What I mean to say is: it's difficult to draw the line--did Hitler fit into the "God-shaped hole"? Did Communism? Was either a religious phenomenon?

In the end, it doesn't matter what a group are motivated by, so long as they become whipped up in the enthusiasm of whatever they're doing.

Which is what Della objected to--the folks who say that religion be the only such motivator.

--Cooper

closet beliefs

Post 146

a girl called Ben

Did Hitler or Communism fit the god-shaped hole?

... yes. (imho).

By the god-shaped hole I mean the human need for something greater and external, the mental needs which are fulfilled by meditation or prayer, the physical needs which are fulfilled by ritual, the intellectual needs which are fulfilled by a theology or a philosophy, and even the social needs which are fulfilled by fellowship.

Most people have a god-shaped hole - the god which they choose to beleive in depends on the shape of the hole, and the shape of the hole depends on circumstances, internal tensions, culture, upbringning, stuff like that.

This does not diminish god - who must be infinite - it describes our human reaction to god.

***B

closet beliefs

Post 147

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

I agree wholly with what you're saying.

Not much else to say, really.

--Cooper

closet beliefs

Post 148

Yes, Ben, you are correct about the 'god-shaped hole'. What people choose to have fill it can include communism, capitalism, libertarianism - all sorts. Some times, the things people choose to fill it with, don't fit so well...smiley - cat

closet beliefs

Post 149

a girl called Ben

Oh blow! A religious thread with no flaming! Where is the fun in that? Where are the stench of burning martyrs, the white heat of faith, the clear flame of the vision of heaven, the smoking pits of hell and damnation? smiley - devil

I guess we will just have to respect each others differences and get on then...

smiley - magic

***B

closet beliefs

Post 150

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

I certainly hoped I've not flamed anyone on this thread.

--Cooper

closet beliefs

Post 151

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

If I have, please give me a quote and a post number. I just checked, and I didn't see any, though I did see some points I wish I had made, back when this thread was still alive. SUppose it's been revived, tho. Hmm.

--Cooper

closet beliefs

Post 152

a girl called Ben

I wasn't actually referring to you at all, Cooper, or to anyone in particular. At one time Xanatic would launch a strongly rationalist view in any spiritual thread, and I am sure there have been other researchers with similar tendencies.

And of course there were the God threads http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A252316 and the "do you believe" thread, not to mention "what questions do Christians ask?"

I think what must have got me all riled in this one was post 22, "no one is without sin. regardless of whether a person seeks Xianity, he has sinned in some way or another, and since Xianity is the only way. . ." which I probably thought was a bit dogmatic and which I responded to in post 29.

Interesting how less inflamatory threads seem when they are 2 or 3 months old.

One of the things I like about h2g2 is finding that I can both respect and disagree with one individual.

(What ever happened about that poem, btw?)

***B

closet beliefs

Post 153

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

[Blatantly off-topic]

They let it through, with quite a few apologies, I might add. Peta said something to the effect of, "Someone's going to get a reprimand." Donno if that will actually happen, tho. Ah well.

[/Blatantly off-tpoic]

Yeah, I suppose they do rile less, when removed by a number of weeks n, n>3.

--Cooper

closet beliefs

Post 154

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

And yes, it's fun to realise that disagreement and hatred aren't mutually necessary. Even though we all know it, it's like falling in love: you realise it again and again, and it never gets old.

Makes you feel like a b******d sometimes, but it never gets old.

closet beliefs

Post 155

Saturn Girl ~ 1 of 42 (Borg Queen A761708) ~ Gollum's keeper + some ~ [1*7(0!+2)(0!+1)=42]

[totally irrelevent]
So is this thread alive again, yet, or what?
[/totally irrelevent]

smiley - planet

closet beliefs

Post 156

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

Perhaps. Maybe this is its death-rattle.

--Cooper

closet beliefs

Post 157

a girl called Ben

Rincarnated or Resurrected? smiley - angel

closet beliefs

Post 158

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

Of those two, reincarnated: its basic nature has been changed. We're more civil, and we're not discussing the same issues. Shrug.

It's interesting to watch the various paths that Internet (and especially h2g2) social structures create, isn't it?

--Cooper

closet beliefs

Post 159

a girl called Ben

Yes, I am fascinated by the 'civic' issues here. Have you seen the arbiter scheme (link from my personal space).

B

closet beliefs

Post 160

Cooper the Pacifist Poet

Well I have now. Interesting idea.

--Cooper

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more