A Conversation for Talking Point: Things you were told when young

there's no santa??

Post 1

broelan

smiley - winkeye
yes, my son believes in santa claus, but he's at the age where he's finding loopholes in the story... like how does santa get in if we don't have a chimney? how can santa eat cookies and milk at *every* house?

when he was about three or four, i wrote a note to him from santa thanking him for the milk and cookies and for being so good in the year. i used a red pen and a really elaborate script... he thought it was really something that santa left him a letter.

he also wonders wheat the easter bunny will leave in his easter basket every year.

when we were kids we believed in both of these things. oh, and the tooth fairy as well. my son told me that a family friend's daughter in arkansas told him that there wasn't a tooth fairy that it was their parents that left money under pillows, and i told him a really terrible lie about the tooth fairy not going to arkansas because of oral hygene issues smiley - blush. this however, had the added benefit that he now brushes his teeth religiously for fear that the tooth fairy will not leave money for bad teeth.

as kids we were told that if we made ugly faces our faces would stick like that, it didn't have anything to do with the wind.

i'm sure i'll think of more...

there's no santa??

Post 2

The Cheese

My parents basically bribed me to believe in Santa...they said that people who don't believe in him don't get presents from him smiley - winkeye.

there's no santa??

Post 3

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

If you want to get an idea how smiley - santa might feel if he did exist (not that I'm saying he doesn't!) try reading 'Hogfather' by Terry Pratchett. To set the scene, smiley - santa goes missing, and somebody has to take his place...

Santa Vs True Love

Post 4

Sheep of pretty Colours

hello back you ritious person - I keep reading that book caus it is the only thing that keeps me sain... Firstly, I still believe in Death and thats important for the context of the book (and how I expect my afterlife to begin). secondly, Im such a silly, I still get a kick of hearing what the little kids think of the pig doing a wee at the grotto. Thirdly, I still believe in TRUE LOVE.

Yes, this is a story my parents told me about.... And yes I believe that we all have one person who can rock their world. I know I've already met mine. Dumfuc just needs a slight slap. I have been labeled a psycho in the past, but that was just the chase. I'll only chase the ones I am safe about. And when your safe there is no challenge. I adore the challege. And some day yes, some day he will be mine.

What did my parents tell me. Firstly, "is he worth it?" - When you have to answer that question, you know theres a problem. Secondly, "what do others think?" That question should not exist. Who gives a dam what they think its you and her or you and him or you and who ever and not them. Thirdly will he make you change - Of course he will, your in love,together you will become better people.... Barf

Basically the first kiss, even if its a kiss on the cheek is the softest and most beautiful thing you wish you were sober for...

Vat you laat think?

there's no santa??

Post 5

Saavik2

One of my husband's earliest memories was being told by his older brother that "Santa won't be coming this year - he's been gored to death by his reindeer!"

He is probably the only child ever to have felt relieved when told that Santa doesn't really exist!

Santa? Ha!

Post 6

Swoosh - maker of puddings, keeper of dribbly pets, known for disappearing frequently

I was never told about Santa so I've nver belived in him. Nor the whole xmas thing either. I mean nobody does is for the right reasons anyway so why bother? Besides its origins have got nothing to do with a fat guy who says ho ho ho too much and I prefer getting presents as a suprise.

Santa? Ha!

Post 7

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

<smiley - devils advocate>

What *is* the right reason for Christmas? Its true origins have nothing to do with Christ either - the Christians 'hi-jacked' an existing Pagan festival.

Santa!!!

Post 8

Ottox

Broe! smiley - cross

What's this about Santa! He's real!!!
And if you don't believe that, look at my pics again!
He gave me the best present I ever had! smiley - winkeye

smiley - santa

there's no santa??

Post 9

clzoomer- a bit woobly

I was careful to keep up the Santa myth with my three children. I left muddy bootprints by the fireplace, took one bite from the cookie, and rang bells outside of the house late at night, being careful to keep out of sight. When I told them individually (first swearing them to secrecy as an adult) I told them that there would always be Santa presents as long as people wanted to make other people happy without asking for anything in return. We still give Santa presents even though my oldest is 25. They know never to ask where they came from and never to thank us, just to accept them in the spirit of what Christmas should be but seldom is. So in a way I suppose you could say Santa does exist, we just can never meet him or thank him. Pretty close to religion from an agnostic* I suppose.

*An athiest without the courage of his own convictions.

Santa? Ha!

Post 10

Swoosh - maker of puddings, keeper of dribbly pets, known for disappearing frequently

Exactly! and there is no mention of christ celebrating birthdays in the bible and there is no evidence as to when he was actually born. seems it's not important!

Santa?

Post 11

Farrago the guitar wielding lil girl

What I've heard is that Jesus was actually born in March and the eaarly Christians just didn't want the Pagans celebrating Mass at mid-winter. Because of this they made the time for mass into Christmas. This way the pagans lost both ways really cos they either had to celebrate the Christian festival or not at all. (Which I think is really mean of the Christians)

Anyway toodleoo!

Farrago

there's no santa??

Post 12

Bez (arguaby the finest figure of a man ever found wearing Bez's underwear) <underpants>

My parents told me that he had a magic doorkey, that he used on the houses with no chimney, or one that was blocked up. Apparently it would fit any lock.

Bez

there's no santa??

Post 13

Peaceful Dragon (napping)

I was seven the first time I heard about this smiley - santa person. It took me years to overcome the fact that I'd been deprived all that smiley - magic other kids got to experience...

there's no santa??

Post 14

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

My mother told me there was a smiley - magic brick on the wall which changed colour depending on whther I'd been good or not (it went from green if I was bad to pink if I was good). Only magic things (santa, birthday fairy, tooth fairy, easter bunny, and probably loads more I've forgotten about) and mums could see it, but if they stopped by and it was dark green, they couldn't come in smiley - yikes.
I was always terrified it would change colour just before my birthday smiley - rainbow.

smiley - ale

there's no santa??

Post 15

Teasswill

I can't remember when I stopped believing in the tooth fairy, easter bunny & santa. Probably having an older brother made a difference, I expect he enlightened me.
For our kids, we did relevant rituals & when they were old enough to start questioning if it was true, we said that Father Christmas/Tooth Fairy/Easter bunny comes if you believe in them, otherwise your parents do the job. smiley - footprints
Seemed to smooth things over so no traumatic disillusionment.

there's no santa??

Post 16

And Introducing... A Leg

I was told Santa wouldn't come if I told lies. I passed that one on, but still got presents, which proved to me he didn't exist. Plus the sherry. Nobody, I don't care who they are could drink a glass of sherry off all the kids in Britain and remain stone cold sober.

there's no santa??

Post 17

GreyDesk

There was a Christmas advert for Timex watches on TV when I was about 6 years old, which showed a mother creeping into her son's room to put a Timex watch into the stocking at the end of the kid's bed.

Now at this age I didn't believe in Santa anymore so it didn't bother me. But the advert did bother my Mother as she knew that other kids of my age probably did still believe in the fairy tale. I think she even went to the extent of writing to the company and pointing out the error of their ways.

there's no santa??

Post 18

Pimms

My daughter (at almost six years old) still seems to believe in Santa, certainly she goes along with the idea that if you're bad all you'll get from him is a lump of coal.

there's no santa??

Post 19

Vestboy II not playing the Telegram Game at U726319

As a parent of young kids I was sometimes lax. When my daughters' teeth fell out they would look expectantly under the pillow for the coin - and most often I would have forgotten to put it there. I remember shamefacedly putting a coin and a letter that read something like this:
"Due to industrial action there was no tooth collection last night but we are pleased to announce that management have agreed to our request and are now working hard to catch up on the backlog. Yours sincerely Crown, Toothfairy shop steward."

there's no santa??

Post 20

craigfreakmoore

Industrial Action? HA HA HA I love that quick thinking. cool. My dad in an attempt to get me to believe in santa climbed on the roof at christmas night and rang a bell to sound like the reindeer landing on the roof. Damn idiot only fell of didn't he?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more