Talking Point: Things you were told when young

65 Conversations

childhood beliefs

One of the things that parents do to their children while they are young is to tell them lies. Young children trust their parents implicitly, so they believe everything they say. Telling children that Father Christmas will bring presents down the chimney on Christmas Eve is a lie. But it encourages children to behave well for a reward, which is a good lesson to learn.

Other things that parents tell their children are not so friendly, and can even be scary, change the child's view of the world, or linger on until adulthood. Is there any harm in telling children little white lies in this manner, or should the myths be thought of as a helping hand?

  • Did your parents tell you about Santa, and how old were you when you found he didn't exist?

  • Is it true that if the wind changes your face will stay like that?

  • What were you told when you were a child?

  • Can someone explain why the facts of life are referred to as 'the birds and the bees'?

  • Traditionally the stork brings new babies, but why do they leave them under gooseberry bushes?

  • Did all those adults with curly hair really eat their crusts?

  • Are the any new myths that adults tell their children?

  • Did your parents tell you something that no other parent would dream of telling their child?

  • Have you, or will you, tell your children any of these myths?

A568721A546040

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A800074

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more