A Conversation for Talking Point: Things you were told when young

Bullies Are Insecure

Post 1

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

One of the worst, most damaging lies I was ever told is that bullies are actually just that way because they're insecure, and the best way to stop the bullying is to tell an adult. It should probably be noted that this one came more from teachers than parents, though Mum and Dad did nothing to etauteprep it. (Etauteprep is the opposite of perpetuate).

Right. So the reason I was taunted and beaten up by everyone in school for 13 years is ebcause they were afraid of me. And obviously, when they beat me up even worse after I told the first couple of times, it was all in my imagination.

Seriously, people. Bullies are not insecure. They are in fact the most secure people around. I was, and am, incredibly insecure, which is why I didn't go around fighting and bugging people.

Oh, and before you say they must be insecure because they only pick on weaker kids, the reason for this behaviour is that bullies are the biggest, toughest, strognest kids in the schoolyard. There's nobody stronger around for them to fight.


Bullies Are Insecure

Post 2

Tumsup

Bullying is the most natural thing in the animal world. It's how the pecking order is established. The pecking order establishes who breeds and so the gene for bullying is passed on.

We humans persist in believing that we are not animals, who act on instinct, but instead are rational creatures. Then we make up nonsensical Just So Stories to explain every phenomenon.

Your parents meant well by telling you this explanation of bullying. They were trying to build up your sense of self worth by putting the bully down.

You may not appreciate that your parents did you a valuable service by preventing you from joining the bullys posse. We are evolved social animals. The natural instinct is to either conquer the bully, thus becoming the alpha dog yourself, or to abase yourself before him, which is what religion is. Humans are smart enough to have come up with a third option, which is to forget about it and move on.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more