A Conversation for Talking Point: Things you were told when young

Parent's Lies

Post 1

bekilu

When I was a little girl the male members of my family would disappear sometimes. I would look to the remaining female adults and ask, "Where's Daddy?"
"He's gone to see a man about a dog." My Mother would reply.
This didn't just apply to my Father my Grandfather, uncles and cousin's also often went to see the man about the dog. I wondered why they never came back with a dog but I never thought to ask. I just looked forward to the day my new pet arrived, sadly it never did.

The other day when taking a bottle of Brown Ale out of the fridge for my husband I happened to notice the label on the back of the bottle. It said that Newcastle Brown Ale was sometimes called Mad Dog or even shortened to Dog. It then went on to explain that when men went to the pub to drink their Brown Ale it was said that they had gone to see a man about a dog. To an adult this was a harmless saying but to me, well I felt silly, stupid and let down. I really thought they would bring me back a dog one day.


Key: Complain about this post

Parent's Lies

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more