A Conversation for One-hit Wonders

The Macarena! Someone had to say it...

Post 1

Talyma

The Macarena, by Los Del Rio, was the Number One song for 1996 in the U.S, eventualy selling over 4 million copies. Almost every American who lived through the mid-90's remembers the song, and most know the dance that went with it. The song also nabbed the Number One spot on VH1's 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders. I still remember coming into elementary school one day and seeing about twenty or thirty third-grade kids shaking their patooties while humming the song smiley - laugh

I *think* the song still holds the U.S. record for staying at Number One the longest... Was the song as popular in the UK?

Heeeeey Macarena!

Post 2

Danny B

It was a hit in the UK, not sure how big a hit though.

There must have been other dance crazes that were one-hit wonders. How about 'Saturday Night' by Wigfield?

Or 'Achy-Breaky Heart' by Garth Brooks. I believe he's massive in the States, but probably counts as a one-hit wonder in the UK...

Post 3

Ferino

Was achy breaky heart not by Billy Ray Cyrus?? (one hit wonder with a mullet if i remember correctly....!)

Post 4

Danny B

Yes, it was smiley - doh

So did Garth Brooks have a hit in the UK, or did I imagine that?

Post 5

Ferino

I'm fairly sure he must have but, not being a huge fan of Country music myself, I can't remember what it was. All I know about him is that he wears a stetson and flies over his audiences during his concerts...If I find out any of his hits, I'll let you know!

Post 6

Trout Montague

Macarena spawned a terrace song at Middleboro.

He scores lots of goals and you see 'im on the tele
Ooooooooh Ravanelli.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more