A Conversation for Attack of the Clones (Spoilers)

The Episode 3 speculation thread (well someone had to start it.)

Post 1

Clive the flying ostrich: Amateur Polymath | Chief Heretic.

Wanna here my theory on the prophecy?

bit's a pieces gleaned from 1+2 as well as the original trilogy lead me to speculate that the following will happen in episode 3.

At the end of 2 we see our first real breakout sign of the undertow of the plot that will become the empire: the shot of the plans for the death star.

It is with these that Count Dooku/Darth Tyrannus returns to Corrusant.

right here goes...

the prophecy of the force is all about "bringing balence to the force"
It was something I heard mooted about at the time of the Phantom Menace - that the jedi's perspective of 'balence' is every so slightly entirely wrong.

The jedi as part of the infastructure of the republic have ruled for 1000 years (a figure given in clones) the propect of the sith returning which came in ep. 1 is seen as a threat by the jedi. The prophecy of the boy to bring balence is presumably from their perspective the one who will vanquish the sith. (oooh how little they know...smiley - smiley )

Now true balence is to have both the sith and the jedi in equilibrium - the propechy of balence in fact heralds the removal of power from the jedi.

Right a little bit of lateral thinking is required now...

the clone wars (whic are begun in ep 2. and prsumably form the bulk of ep.3) are the destruction of the jedi, they are broken and routed - betryed even, by one, anakin skyalker.

how we brings balence I'll get to in a second..

having just seen ep 2. me and my friend got to speculating under what cirumstances yoda would retreat to dagoba and obi wan to stand watch of the fledgling luke. while leia is packed of with bail organa to alderaan.

presumably they knowing all is lost seek to save themselves for the battle they know now is to come. it is vader's children who shall be their saviours.

Anakinr meanwhile is having a bit of a crisis.

He's gonna turn to the dark side and we all know who *he* becoems after that.

Quite what leads him to turn we can only speculate but we can hazzard a few shrewd guesses. anyway. anakin is supposed to brign balence right? with all the jedi killed (I have a theory about mace windu too.) the only two remaining are Yoda and obi wan.

Recall the fight scene in "Jedi" - when the emporer commands luke to strike down his father and take his place as his general at the emporers side. I assume that Anakin will presumably face a similar trial. Lucas is going to place father and son in the same situations but have them choose different paths.

We've seen how lost in emotion anakin can become how intense his emotive responces can be (tusken raiders camp and when amidala falls out of the transport.) My guess is that it he'll go off on one (possibly when amidala dies, she is after all the only thing he has left after his mother.) He'll kill dooku and thus ally himself with the emporer/palpatine/sidious.

so there we have it the prophecy is fulfilled.

"always two there are" In the jedi's corner you have obi wan tending to the fledlgling luke and yoda holding up on dagoba, and on the reverse side with the sith, you have Darth vader and the emporer. the force is balenced.

------------------------

Mace windu's comes unstuck.

Jango Fett gets cut down by a fierce lookin' Mr Samuel. L. Jackson.

Later we see his 'boy' the young Boba, holding up his helemt (I admit to having visions of te sa wars gag reel, and jango's head plopping out of the helmet like an un-frozen cremé caramel!)

So anyhoo, the boy is out for revenge.

I speculate that anakin/vader, order boba to retrive windu but he instead kills him, in fact he nt only kills him he absolutly dismembers the poor guy.

Hence the origin in (empire, jedi, I don't remember) of Darth vader leasing bounty hunters to hunt down Han but chiding boba fett - and NO DISINTIGRATION!!

One can only suppsoe the history behind that little aside, but that's my guess.. smiley - biggrin

------------------------------

*phew* I'm going to bed. smiley - sleepy

but yes 2 is a very very very good film. (and such an improvement on tpm , which in retrospect wasn't *so* bad...)

I shall enjoy owning the lot on the quintiple en mass dvd box set deluxe whenever they get round to making it. (right along side lotr and matrix 2 & 3 - which reminds me:

http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/

Anybody? smiley - cool

Post 2

Jim Lynn

All very plausible. But Mace Windu didn't exist (and I suspect Lucas hadn't even invented him) when that line from Vader was written. But I agree it would make a nice touch.

All that stuff about Balance of the Force is the way I see it - that balance means destruction of nearly all Jedi (leaving only Obi Wan and Yoda, as far as we know). Sam Jackson knows his character dies - he's told Lucas 'I don't want to go out like some punk' so I'd hope he gets an amazing final scene. A duel with Boba Fett might fit the bill.

A couple of weeks ago I was sitting on the train next to a chap reading what purported to be a plot summary for Episode III, although I'd put money on that being a fake. smiley - smiley

Post 3

as a 2 bob note.

That's why i think it's fits, because he's having to fit it around the previous films, it's very clever in a way how he's funelling events toward that ultimate goal.

Somethign else we discussed post film was this idea which may work I'm not sure.

Obi wan and Anakin and due for a no holds barred lown down and dirty light-saber duel.

Prior to this however is my supposed fight between Dooku and Anakin as he rises to be by the emporer's side.

Had Anakin not chosen the dark side and thus not had to kill Dooku, he would not have to fight Obi-wan.

As he does chose the dark-side and has to first battle Dooku, he is thus facing his old master weakened.

Perhaps this is why, ultimately, obi-wan triumphs, and injures Anakin so badly, that he is forced into the body-suit of vader.

Had Anakin not been so debilitated - who really was the greater fighter? smiley - bigeyes

(also, how come only vader so far has the throat-crush, Maul only had the "force push" as I recall and messers Dooku and Palpatine have the lightning thingy?)

Post 4

Mina

Finally seen this!

Funnily enough, I spent the time thinking that it was more likely that Luke is the one to bring back the balance, and that the characters are mistaken in thinking it is Anakin.
But not having had the prophecy mentioned in detail, not being able to remember the original three films very well, and not being told how the force is *out* of balance, it's a little hard to tell.

However, Blues Shark had much the same thought - that the balance needed was the dark side becoming stronger.

Post 5

Mina

smiley - erm While I'm here - why does this thread have 'Thread introduction' at the top of it?

This is the Conversation Forum for Attack of the Clones (Spoilers)

Thread Introduction

Subject: The Episode 3 speculation thread (well someone had to start it.)
Posted 3 Weeks Ago by Clive the flying ostrich ACE & GURU: The Learn'ed, Impartial and Very Relaxed

Post 6

Jim Lynn

It's the new tag on the article. I was checking it worked in the upgrade. smiley - smiley

Post 7

Mina

Aha, thank you. smiley - smiley

Post 8

Niftyness. smiley - ok

Post 9

[...]

YOUNG PADAWAN... FORGET YOU THAT GEORGE LUCAS FIRST SCRIPT OF 500 PAGES MADE...

ATTEMPTED TO CALL IT 'THE ADVENTURE OF MACE WINDU' HE DID... THEREFORE WINDU HAS MAJOR IMPORTANCE TO STORY...

FORGET YOU THAT WE MUST SEE MASTER KENOBI FLOG LUKE INTO THE HANDS OF 'UNCLE OWEN' AND LEIA TO ALDERAAN WITH R2-D2 AND C-3PO [HUMAN/CYBORG RELATIONS. FLUENT IN OVER SIX MILLION KNOWN FORMS OF DIALECT... OR SOMETHING...]

ALSO WE MUST SEE KENOBI GET MAJOR PLASTIC SURGERY...

ON TPM... TO THINK, JABBA THE HUTT HAS KNOW IDEA THAT IN 20+ YEARS HE'S GOING TO BE STRANGLED TO DEATH BY A BIKINI GIRL... LUCKY SLUG!

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WITH TPM (APART FROM JAR-JAR) WAS ANAKIN... THAT LITTLE BRAT P----D ME OFF WAY TO MANY TIMES ESPECIALLY BY KILLING THE GREATEST OF ALL 'DUGS' SEBULBA.... NOT TO MENTION HIS STARFIGHTER SEQUENCE!!!!

I WANNA KNOW HOW THE CLONES BECOME TROPPERS AND WHAT HAPPPENS TO THE TRADE FEDERATION/SEPERATISTS...

WE CLINICALLY NEED EPISODES VII-IX.... WE NEED TO SEE THE CLEAN-UP OF THE EMPIRE.... OR THE REBIRTH OF THE SITH.... OR RETURN OF THE REPUBLIC? PLUS HAN/LEIA'S CHILD/CHILDREN... AND MORE DANCING EWOKS....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Post 10

Hmmm.

Mace Windu steals limelight from central plot of Anakin, Palpatine, Obiwan and Yoda. Nah.

I don't doubt he's got a central role but my moneys is still on a kick-a** fight to the death with boba fett. (He killed his daddy - lets not forget that.)

*If* I've understood this (feel free to tell me I've been sat indoors and thought about this too much smiley - winkeye) - The Trade Federation and Separtists movements are all pawns in a *much* larger and more deadly game - The scene at the end where Tyrannus gets off of the ship and meets with Sidious (right before the Imperial March kicks in on the balconey smiley - wow) - He says "everything is going according to plan." or words to that effect. Those two are cooking up somethignnnasty and it doesn't involve anybody else. The breakaway states from the republic are doing so under the mistaken belief that what they will be getting for their co-operation is a sytem better suited to their own interests. They are in fact being duped by Dooku - this is all about usurping the Jedi and putting power in the hands of the Sith.

To that end the dark side have spread lies, rumours, murdered (who was that jedi fellow who commissioned the clones?) and convinced others to flock to their banner fronted by the 'nice' side of Darth Tyrannus - Count Dooku.

This sets in motion a chain of events that will bring doom to the jedi.

Palpatine in his office when the when the big blue creature says "this is a crisis" *actually* convinces Jar-Jar to initiate the vote that hands him the dictatorship.

It's a sublime bit of manipulation but more importantly it demonstrates that to a large degree the clone wars and attendent conspiricies and seperatist movements are all red herrings to detract attention away from the machivellian activites at Coruscent.

If you keep that in mind the troopers/clones mix doesn't seem so odd. The troopers *are* the clones in precisely the same way as the Republic *is* the Empire employed to different ends. Alright so they have different costumes and better music but that is to show the evolution of one to the next.

What I mean is - with palpatine now in total authority and with his best mate Tyrannus running the scam on the seperatists & trade federation lot - what's the bet that he won't engineer things to keep trouble just simmering along enough that he can claim he still needs the authoritarian powers he has been given in order to properly control matters?
In other words Once his dominace is assured the trade federation separatists will either be betrayed and killed. (likely - they are the biggest liability to the new emergent Empire, they are the ones who were duped into letting it happen.) or else they are crushed under the totalitarian regime of the empire. We already know the fate of the flying bug thingies that kidnapped Obiwan Anakin and Amidala - They are the engineers who build the death star.

As for the sprogs. I have heard from no reliable source so take this with a pinch of salt. Luke and Leia are already born by the films opening. That does make sense as the films are spead over a chronological period of some years - and it would eat up valueable screen time if a heavily pregant amidala was waddling around set! smiley - laugh - No i think the seeds for that exchange are also set in Ep. II.
Recall Yoda mediating on his cushion when he 'hears' the masacre of the tusken raiders by anakin. He knows something is up with that boy, also don't forget he predicted in Ep. I that fear leads to hate, hate leads to anger, anger leads to suffering. We've already seen Anakin take the first two steps on that path ("I hate them - I hate them!!")
Come Ep. III I predict that he will be angry - vengeful against the world and generally a bit moody. I think Yoda and Obiwan are going to be nervous or not quite nervous but wary of him, the darkness he carries. Of course i doubt they suspect the true level of his seduction to the darkside (Windu certainly seemed totally ignorant of Dooku's switch. - He thought murder would be a character flaw beneath a jedi, even a ex-one like Dooku.) but when they sense what is coming that is when they leave Coruscent: Yoda to Dagoba, Obiwan with Luke in tow to Tatooine (Quite why he thinks The new Vader wouldnt think to look back to his home planet - the place where they buried his mother no less, I've no idea - ooh but maybe he does, maybe that's why owen looks so mortified in a new hope when Luke starts going on about his father! )

Amidala also must die - Leia remebers her in Reurn of the jedi as someone beautiful. So Leia is almost certainly alive in Ep. III whether or not her mother succedes in making it to Alduran herself, I very much doubt.

I've probably written wa-a-a-ay too much: I agree the next installment is needed and needed now!
While I'm at it however - my bid for the title (although it will doubtless be wildly inaccurate 'cos Lucas has ome odd ideas about the titles of his films of late.)

"The Fall of the Jedi." - ties in nicely with the new hope, empire strikes back, return of the jedi angle.

"May the force be with you...always." smiley - aliensmile

Post 11

[...]

BUT WHY DOES 'THREEPIO' NOT KNOW THAT ANAKIN IS VADER????

THEY SHOULD CALL IT BY THE N64 GAME NAME: 'SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE'...

OR MAYBE... 'YODA DOES A RUNNER'

MAYBE THE ORIGINAL 'REVENGE OF THE JEDI'???

'THERE AND BACK AGAIN- A JEDI'S STORY'?!!!

'FORCE OF THE DARKSIDE'???

'BETRAYAL OF THE JEDI'???

'THE BALANCE OF POWERS'???

'RISE OF THE EMPIRE'?

'THE EMPEROR'S NEW CLONES'?!

'LORDS OF THE SITH'???

'FALL OF THE JEDI'????

'THE DARKSIDE OF THE SENATE'???

Post 12

Apparently George has confirmed that C3P0 and R2D2 both have their memories erased in Ep. III. The circumstances under which that takes place however, we shall just have to wait and see... smiley - winkeye

Post 13

[...]

YET C-3PO STILL KNOWS THAT HE HATES FLYING.... ADVENTURES....

AND IS FLUENT IN OVER 6 MILLION FORMS OF COMMUNICATION.........

Post 14

Jim Lynn

Well, here's a radical thought - why don't we wait until Episode 3 is released, and *then* complain at all the loose ends Lucas has left. After all, I seem to remember after Episode 1 came out, people were saying that it didn't work, because how could Uncle Owen be Luke's Uncle (and therefore Anakin's brother) when Anakin obviously didn't have any brothers. Come Episode 2, all is explained.

Oh, and Pythonist, could you give your Caps-lock key a little shove - it looks like you're shouting all the time.

Unless you're posting via SMS, which would be a neat trick...

Post 15

Jim Lynn

What's more puzzling is that in Episode 4, Obi Wan doesn't recognise C3-P0 or R2-D2, although maybe, at that stage, he's being disingenuous. Like when he explained to Luke how his father 'died'.

Post 16

Then again, how much actualy contact has obiwan had with the droids...I'd need to see the films again but I'm not sure they ever have much time on screen together (erm...except when R2D2 is presented to the queen in Ep.1 and C-3PO shuffling about at the pod race.) but would he really remember them - given the proliferation of droids in Star Wars society.

Doesn't he exclaim in Ep IV when luke follows R2D2 out into the canyon - he says he's looking for his master obiwan kinobi."

"obiwan?"

"I thought it might be you Ben."

"I've not heard the name obiwan snce..since before you were born. Still i don't remeber owning any droid."

Post 17

[...]

IT'S QUI-GONN THAT HAD THE MOST CONTACT WITH THEM IN EP. I...

THE ONLY TIME OBI SAW THREEPIO WAS WHEN HE WASN'T SILVER...

AND WE'VE ALL SEEN HIM WITH 'R5' IN EP. II...

NOT TO MENTION THE SAME KINDA DROID MINCING BEHIND THREEPIO AT THE START OF EPISODE IV....

R2 IS THE REAL STAR!!

Post 18

Jedi

We all know the is to be one big fight between Anakin and Obi Wan and early rumours are that Obi Wan puts Anakin in to a volcano, thus rendering the need for a big black suit.

The other rumour which is fling around faster than the millennium falcon on the Kessel run is, Lucus will switch the characters of Obi Wan and Anakin. So it is actually Luke’s farther watching over him at the start of Ep 4. Maybe having the kids redeems our young padawan.

In answer to why C3PO & A2D2 don't recognise Vada/Obi Wan is their memories are wiped but not the core programming which would include the personalises.

Post 19

Oberon2001 (Scout)

The force is strong in you all. In the first or second thread, someone mentions that the clone wars will take up the bulk of the film. Recently, Lucas (and McCallum, I think) stated the opposite. The final battle of the clone wars will take place at the begining of episode iii and the rest of the film will focus on Yoda, Obi-wan, Palpatine, Anakin and Padme. For more on this check out http://www.theforce.net where they've collated all of Lucas' interviews (along with a couple of other people's) into one, to bring you what we definetly know.
Another good place to look is A847668-the star wars entry on h2g2 which also has stuff on the other films. smiley - smiley
May the force be with you... always.

Post 20

[...]

WE STILL NEED EPISODES VII-IX........................

RIGHT... WHO'S GONNA FAN FIC THAT?!

Key: Complain about this post