A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

17 May 2002: Latest News on Server Downtime

Post 1

Mark Moxon

Further to the announcement '14 May 2002: Server Downtime Planned for DNA 1.01 Upgrade', we're pleased to announce no announcement at all. The planned upgrade, which we hoped would take place either Monday, 20 May or Thursday, 23 May, has been postponed until the tentative date of Monday, 27 May.

We tried to announce this earlier today, but unfortunately we lost email and internet connectivity within our section of the BBC for the whole afternoon, which made it a bit tricky. You'll be glad to know the team marked this sad state of affairs by repairing to the pub.

Some things never change. smiley - cheers

Post 2

Peta

Sod! And I was working from home and carried on working. I wish I'd known that earlier! smiley - grr

smiley - smiley

Post 3

King Cthulhu of Balwyniti

You poor unlucky things, it must've been such a trying time for you smiley - winkeye

Oh, and as a representative from Australia, I must humbly beseech you to order all British researchers not to come online from w**k, as it makes it almost impossible to connect down here until after about 1730 your time... and I'm talking 4 posts in 2 hours type-thing here. It's only now, when you're all presumably eating tea that I can get on... or I could come on during the day, but that would require not going to w**k myself smiley - winkeye

I trust this request won't present you with any significant difficulties smiley - tongueout

Post 4

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Now let me see if I have this straight...smiley - winkeye

The planned downtime, previously announced, has been delayed.
And, you would have said so earlier except there was an unannounced downtime, which did not delay but in fact precipitated a visit to the pub...

That pub is closer than you might think. smiley - drunk

smiley - biggrin
~jwf~

Post 5

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Funny you should say that KC - I've had a dreadful time trying to load h2g2 pages here in Texas, between (roughly) noon and 6pm UK time every weekday. The past few days it's taken me something like 6 attempts get a page of a conversation forum on the screen without at least one portion (usually more) bearing that ghastly "The page cannot be displayed... DNS error or unable to find server" message. I suggest everyone in the UK just stays in the pub all afternoon smiley - tongueout

Post 6

Bagheera: Spellchecker, Grammarian Pedant, Semiquavering Secretary and member of the Punctuation Police

smiley - erm ... don't most people in most countries tend to do that on Friday afternoons anyway?smiley - cdouble Hic!! smiley - cheers

Post 7

Mark Moxon

"The planned downtime, previously announced, has been delayed. And, you would have said so earlier except there was an unannounced downtime, which did not delay but in fact precipitated a visit to the pub..."

100% accurate. Or should I say 100% proof... smiley - winkeye

Post 8

Sounds like a good idea Gosho, they can all keep Mark and Jim company smiley - oksmiley - winkeye

Post 9

Demon Drawer

I object to the sugestion that British researchers should not come online from work. IT IS THE ONLY TIME I can get online at the moment. Just think what H2G2 would be missing out on without DD online. smiley - winkeye

Post 10

smiley - yikes

*Faints* ::THUD::

It's still doing it btw - this is the third time I've tried to post this, so if it turns up again... GET DOWN THE PUB YOU LOT!!! smiley - cross

Post 11

Demon Drawer

I'm working until 8 smiley - blue

Post 12

MaW

* wants to work for h2g2 *

It's got to be better than revising for exams!

Post 13

Oi! You can't complain about that just when you've pointed out that you can only get online from w**k... that's tantamount to saying "I have to post on h2g2 until 8 smiley - blue", and that's very nearly an offensive posting! smiley - winkeye

Post 14

Demon Drawer

I'm not posting that much I'm working on entries. smiley - winkeye

Post 15

But you can do that any time with a text editor - you only need to post the finished entry when you get to work and then check for GuideML errors smiley - smiley

Post 16

Demon Drawer

Yeah but I'm also keeping an eye on the 7 I have in peer review just in case I need to make changes there as well. Plus it is so slow at work I wish I were down the pub. smiley - blue

Post 17

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

I'm smiley - run off to the pub soon smiley - cheers

Post 18

Hammy of Hamster (died, still moving)

yeh if somebody would write guideML schema you could check the syntax in IE5 and above. smiley - biggrin

Post 19

Robert

I'm < 18, so no smiley - ale for me smiley - sadface Someone else'll need to have a pint to make up for it smiley - silly.

Anyway, glad you've sorted out the downtime date - now I can schedule the rest of my life in without risking it interfering with h2g2.

Post 20

Demon Drawer

True would make life so much easier. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more