This is the Message Centre for Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

Active Researchers

Post 1

Spelugx the Beige, Wizard, Perl, Thaumatologically Challenged

This is the new thread for the discussion of my research into active researchers expanding upon that featured at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A662474. The early discussion happened at the atelier. Some time before here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F38024?thread=154674&post=1565492#p1565492. Preliminary investigation data: average number of online users: 54.4667 average number of natural history users online: 5.4667 percentage of natural history users online: ~ 0.10 54.4667/0.1 = 544.667 // note this might or might not be meaningful I've still to decide.

Active Researchers

Post 2

Oops mistake:
here are some new numbers:

total number of active researchers: ~1650
hours/researcher (weekly): ~5.5 hours

Active Researchers

Post 3

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

How much of the list did you use? Did you prune out the dead and the positively extinct?

OTOH, I haven't trawled for new exhibits recently although trawls are not as successful as the used to be - i blame overfishing by the Spanish.

If you come across plants or animals I have missed out, please invite them to join smiley - smiley.

Active Researchers

Post 4

I took the users from the nhm page as mentioned earlier today in the atelier. I believe that the museum is maintained fairly regularly with a relatively low number of 'dead' users.

--------
Status update:
things like error bounds and confidence intervals should (with luck and some t-tables if I can find them) tomorrow.

Active Researchers

Post 5

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Sp:x, I just posted in the atelier conversation that active salonistas should post their user numbers here along with an estimate of how much time they spend at hootoo.

I'm U81931 and I'm category B in the rating I suggested: I log in every day, usually morning and evening, sometimes afternoon as well -- but I don't think it adds up to 4 hrs...

Active Researchers

Post 6

Gw7en, Voice of Chaos (Classic)

U93295 and I am here all day every work day, so I am an A I guess. smiley - winkeye

Except during the holidays, of course, when work is just too insane.. smiley - silly

G7

Active Researchers

Post 7

Fred Smith

I'm U181648 and on a work day I'm in catergory C.

Active Researchers

Post 8

Fred Smith

I'm U181648 and on a work day I'm in catergory C.

Active Researchers

Post 9

Researcher 179388

U179388

*claps hand to head and raises eyes*

Sorry forgotten the suggested catergories already!

But somedays I will be logged in all day, but just resizing the window to check on favoured threads. Other days I will log on three or four times a day , but for less than a total of two hours.

*ducks to avoid the backlog thrown at her for being no help at all*

Active Researchers

Post 10

marvthegrate LtG KEA

U28338 and I spend roughly 4-8 hours a day so I guess that makes me needing to change my address? I do not, however, post quite as regularly as many of the otherr people who are always on.

Active Researchers

Post 11

cafram - in the states.

I'm u43948 and I'm here /at least/ 4 hours a day, which I guess puts me in the 'h2g2 through an intraveneous drip' category.

'cept now I'm going away and I won't have any internet access at all! smiley - yikes

*quivers at the very thought*

Active Researchers

Post 12

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

smiley - ermI'm Amy the Ant, my U number is 135642 and I'm a h2g2aholic.

*waits for supportive applause*

I'm not well at the moment so I'm probably in category B but when I'm well and at the uni I'm definitely an A.

Active Researchers

Post 13

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

U18695 checking in!

I am online about 2 hours per day (is that Cat-C?), but much of that is waiting for the servers to respond. smiley - erm
smiley - dog

Active Researchers

Post 14

Witty Moniker

I'm researcher 15777. I log on almost everyday but postings can be sporadic. Sometimes I'm logged in for a few hours if I'm home, sometimes I just hit and run just to read backlog and bookmark. I can't remember the last time I was in the Aroma Cafe. And the last time I had a donut at the Joanna's stall was last March. The 24-Seven is a disgrace. God, I'm pathetic. smiley - blush

*considers*

I guess I'm a failed lurker. smiley - smiley

Active Researchers

Post 15

soeasilyamused, or sea

i'm 139689, and i am also an h2g2aholic. give me the change of address forms. smiley - winkeye i spend at LEAST 4 hours a day here.

Active Researchers

Post 16

Sol

My U number is 138596. I would say that I log on every day, sporadically, except sometimes, due to circs beyond my control, I don't. On average I suppose total time spent here per day is less than 2 hours, except when it isn't. Most of that time is spent trying to keep up with the Altelier backlog smiley - winkeye That's not very helpful is it? Now I know why I never excelled at statistics.

Active Researchers

Post 17

Solsbury

I still think x should do his own work smiley - winkeye
U181300, category AAA+ online all day at work unless I can't get in because of server problems.

Active Researchers

Post 18

Munchkin

U55447 reporting sah! On most of the day at work, and a bit at home at nights, if I can squeeze it in.

Active Researchers

Post 19

Here's the latest result from my data base.

listname| friends| active|count| total| hours
--------+----------------+----------------+-----+----------------+----------------
agb |6.95348837209302|56.6555555555556| 61|497.015124489038|19.1505909264201
atelier |3.01111111111111|56.6555555555556| 25|470.387453874539|20.2346666666667
nhm | 5.7752808988764|56.6555555555556| 165|1618.65142671855| 5.8802860061287
(3 rows)

the three lists are the following:-
agb - the people who have been met by AGB in real life.
atelier - a incomplete list of participants at the atelier.
nhm - exhibits in the natural history museum - the results from this are very different to the other two; here are some reasons off the top of my head:-

* researchers on the other lists are over enthusiastic.
* nhm contains 'dead' researchers.

Please note that the data *does not* exclude italics and 'new this week' researchers.

spelugx

Active Researchers

Post 20

SE

I'm u40888 though not so long ago I was u99947 (and about a dozen other numbers).

I am in category A & F.

Key: Complain about this post