This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

So long, and thanks for all the towels

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I don't mean any disrespect to the dolphins who were smart enough to make their getaway from the Earth before the Vogons' nuking party started, but the brilliance of Douglas Adams seems more striking in his advocacy of towels.

Think about what towels can do. In the absence of bed linens, you can make your bed with them. The biggest ones make fine blankets. If someone steals your clothing while you are bathing, a towel can be temporary clothing. Indeed, terrycloth robes look suspiciously like something a tailor might have done with a surplus towel. Towels can substitute from drapes. The list gets longer.

I've probably said this before, but there have been many times when I've gotten a brilliant new idea for a bit of writing, only to realize that Douglas Adams got there first and did it better than I'm likely to do. Even his death, accidental though it may have been, was truly brilliant and ironic.

This weekend, I shall probably have to hold onto some towels as I deal with H2G2 withdrawal symptoms. It's okay, though, I have a drying rack with four towels on it, within easy reach of my computer. smiley - winkeye

Post 2

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

See you soon, Paul! smiley - ok

smiley - smoochsmiley - hug

Post 3

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

why ? is everybody going somewhere ?

Post 4

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Prepare yourself for a bit of radio silence while we escape from Auntie Beeb for our new home without the vogons noticing it smiley - cool

smiley - pirate

Post 5

ITIWBS

...why does that bring to mind that stirring scene from the h2g2 TV series with the blue frankfurter smothered in something that at least looked like guacamole...

http://www.hulu.com/search?query=The+Hitchhikers+Guide+To+the+Galaxy&st=0&fs=

Post 6

ITIWBS

smiley - ermThe link above apparently has some trouble pasting here, however, when I hit the button for episode 1, it came up okay.smiley - shrug

...the towels are for polishing the testimonial fishbowl?

Post 7

Reality Manipulator

See you on the new site Paul.smiley - smiley

Post 8

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I have my towel at the ready, Paul, if we both gotta swim to the other side. smiley - winkeye

Post 9

Reality Manipulator

Paul I got a message saying that Hulu videos are not accessible to people living outside the United States of America.

Post 10

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Can you use this site?

http://www.archive.org/

It has interesting videos on it (if not as commercially successful as Hulu). smiley - winkeye

Post 11

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I can use the site, but there are no blue frankfurters as far as I can see smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 12

No, but try 'Tales of Tomorrow' - interesting 1950s scifi.

Post 13

"Paul I got a message saying that Hulu videos are not accessible to people living outside the United States of America"[Thinker]

I have no idea what hulu videos are. I am going to assume that they are of no importance whatsoever.

Post 14

Hulu is a source of free streaming videos. It is important to a lot of people, who thus avoid looking at tv commercials.

You will see Hulu videos embedded on websites. I appreciate the information that they aren't available outside the US, since otherwise we might be annoying a lot of our fellow Researchers. smiley - laugh Bel already isn't speaking to Sony.

If you do live within Hulu's purview, you can find stuff here: http://www.hulu.com/

Post 15

I'm not going to bother with the streaming stuff until I get a cable connection for my Internet hookup.

Post 16

That's a good idea, Paul.

We have our internet through the cable company, and streaming works pretty well. But it will pop out several times during a film, whenever the router speed varies. I'd hate to think what it would do without cable.

Post 17

It would be too slow to follow.

Post 18

Yeah, jerkiness is a major downer. smiley - laugh

One day recently, they must have put a bad disc in at Netflix. For about the first half of the show, people froze, or did that skipping-around thing you get with a cracked disc.

I really appreciate being able to choose my own programmes, though. So much better than what the cable company dishes out.

Post 19

I still go to movie theaters to see movies. I get a discount because I'm a senior citizen. If I go on Wednesdays, I can get in for $4.00. Technology is great. It adds to my enjoyment of life, but I don't let it call the shots. I can be perfectly happy curled up in bed reading a good book.

Post 20

I don't like the cinema, because I have to drive over there, I don't get a senior discount yet, and they hardly ever have anything I want to see. We go about 2-3 times a year, maybe.

Now, in Philly, it was different. You could take the trolley, there were actually watchable movies instead of blockbusters...you're lucky to be in town. smiley - smiley Big-screen is nice.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more