This is the Message Centre for The H2G2 Editors

Thank You from Douglas' Family

Post 21

SofaMan

I can't even imagine the pain, shock and grief of Douglas's family and closest friends. My own is pretty bad, and that can only be a pale shadow of theirs. I'm glad that our shared grief of his fans and family is able to help with healing.

Douglas has been with me in one form or another since I was eight years old, and for the first time in memory, I have to face the world without being able to wonder what new marvel he'll bring to me.

I'm going to hold my towel a little bit closer from now on.

Post 22

Magenta

My friend SpoogE called me yesterday to tell me that DNA had died...I think I nearly dropped the phone. When I first picked up the Hitchhiker's Guide, I didn't know what to expect, but it's because of him (DNA, not SpoogE) that I have a certain flair in some of my writing, my sense of humour changed dramatically, and I nearly failed maths, answering "42" too often.

I'm trying to come up with words to adequately express my sympathies and sorrows, but it's not possible. So, let me instead leave you with a collective mental hug.

Magenta

Post 23

Fred, the Incontinent Hamster

I would like to thank the Adams family for their lovely message.

Douglas Adams not only was one of the most brilliant science fiction writers of the past 25 years, he also wrote the most moving book about animal conservation that I have ever read (LAST CHANCE TO SEE). It was this book that served as an icebreaker when I asked Mr. Adams to visit the Disney Studio for a tour three years ago.

I have just received an email from a colleague at Disney's that I would like to pass along to you.

"Life is full of unexpected surprises. I've been lucky
enough to enjoy my share. One of them
was the day I met Douglas Adams. He was nice enough to
chat with me for a bit in my office at Disney Feature
Animation. I never forgot that day. I saw Douglas
Adams some months later at MacWorld Expo in San
Francisco. I wanted to say hello, but the crowd of
eager fans around him was so thick I gave up. I walked
away realizing I already had more time with Mr. Adams
than those fans eager for an autograph would ever
have.

I regret that Douglas Adams will never make his movie
at the Disney studio. I will miss his wonderful sense of humor.
I''ll miss those great articles he wrote for computer
magazines supporting the much maligned macintosh
computer. Most of all, I'll miss Douglas Adams."

I can't add anything more to that. I thought that you might like to read it.

With Best Regards,

N. Beiman

Post 24

Researcher 174139

I grew up with Douglas Adam's books. I have the radio plays in my car and sometimes I pop in the video when I have trouble sleeping at night, like listening to an old friend tell a story.

The world seems a little dimmer today. We'll miss you.

Greg

Post 25

Herbert Detwilder

I thought I'd share a few memories with you all:

I was in High School when my friend Gene mentioned the Guide. He was a big Dr. Who fan, went to school every day with a 23 foot long multicolored scarf. He and I clicked and I knew something was up when
he exitedly told me about the Guide, and he could not wait to get a copy.

I looked up reviews at the library. The story, the reviewer said, was told "forwards, backwards, upside down, and is loads of fun". I bugged the local bookstores for it but could not get it.

Then, just a week later, I happened across NPR (National Public Radio) playing just the last bit of the Star Wars radio play. I popped in a tape and recorded the last 5 minutes of episode 4. It was followed by Episode 1 of the Guide. I was hooked and captured every episode. Gene was hooked too. The stereo sound alone of those plays was amazing.

I recall watching the Guide on Television. Again braodcast by the local Public television station (WTTW - Chicago). Gene made a prop replica of the Guide, I played the Infocom game, the first gift I ever received from my wife was the Hitchhicker's Quartet. (Within sight, on my bookshelf, as I write this.)

In 1994, my Mom got sick with Cancer. I spent much time with her at the hospital in the last few days. She was not there really, just staring out into space. She was religeous, but also had a wonderful sense of humor. I could not bear to read her the bible each day. Not to be disrespectful, but it is a pretty dry read. I figured if you're sick and someone starts reading the Bible, well the doctor's may not tell you, but you have a pretty good idea about how the scales are tipped.

So instead I brought in one of the Dirk Gently books. I read to her each day. At one point, where the the electric knight and horse are discovered in the attic, my Mom just burst out laughing. She never spoke, but it let me know she was still there, and enjoying it.

I never got to finish the story for her. But I believe that at this point, she probably knows the ending.

My wife just got around to reading the entire Guide this year, as well as playing (and reading) Starship Titanic. Just recently an old copy of The Restaurant popped up at my job, and it gets me through some boring periods.

Douglas was and remains part of my childhood. Part of that "rite of passage" that we never see until we look back years later.

Damn, my eyes are wet. That towel sure does come in handy.
We will miss you.

Paul & Mickey
Hanover Park, Illinois - USA

Post 26

Researcher 174152

The news that DNA has left us for a while did shock me when I heard of it only hours after.
I have been watching h2g2 for a very long time.. enjoying the posts since it first shot out to life from its dispenser in Marvin's coffee maker.
I never made a post until now, and that is unfortunate as I may have got some wisdom in replies.
I bought HHGTTG with my Apple IIc in very late 1983 and it was a brilliant book/game and I still have it along with the series.
It is rare to see someones work inspire people to write as they have done so here and I hope that what was started here will continue.
It's been a wonderful ride of infintessimal turns and undulations .. may we keep walking the road ahead and look to the signposts like Douglas Adams that make it much more pleasurable.
I hope we can carry his generous humanity with us, and his love of the people and Planet which we exist on.

Post 27

Eternity (Ace)

Farewell DNA, we will miss you lots.

To his family, my deepest sympathies are with you. This has been an enormous loss!!

Vanora Naude
Johannesburg, South Africa
smiley - cry

Post 28

MostlyHarmless

It is hard to believe DNA is gone, yet, sad as I am, I cannot think of his passing as an end
when his life and works have inspired so many beginnings.
Condolences to family and loved ones.
Kevin

Post 29

Sidney Kidney, AKA Gruby Ben, friend of Dirty Den

I'll keep it simple...

Thanks.... you changed my out look, you changed my life...

Sid smiley - cry

Post 30

SpunkyTheMonkey

arse.

the world is now a duller place.

so long DNA.

Post 31

Sue, otherwise known as the Muse Polymnia, mother of Dance and Mime (don't blame me for Mime...that was his father's fault)

"We are a way for the universe to know itself. Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return. And we can, because the Cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff."
- Carl Sagan

My sincerest condolances to his family and friends. His genius and humor will be sorely missed.

~S
New Jersey, USA
Earth

Post 32

ZenPsycho

I'm so glad we are providing comfort in your hour of grief. I can't imagine how terrible you must all feel losing a close loved one. To the world his death is a great loss. We will never know what wonderous things he had in store for us all. I just hope that right now, he is finding deep irony and humor in what he finds after death. And we can all look forward to the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Afterlife.

I'd send flowers.. *chuckle* but you've probably got more than you can handle already.

Love,
Bret Slivka
Denver, CO USA

Post 33

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

What can I say? I know how difficult this time is, having lost my Dad last year, following a heart attack.

He really didn't deserve it, but now the Book and its creator will be reunited for eternity. I'm sure they'll be looking down on us all and smiling.

Post 34

Ek* this space intentionally left blank *ki

smiley - cry

smiley - hug to one and all, especially to those to whom he wasn't just the person who made it all make sense but who had the honour and priviledge to call him "leaver off of Margarine Lids" (McDuff, 14-05-01)

Post 35

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

I got in this morning feeling bright, logged onto H2G2, as usual, to discover the devastating news smiley - blue. It has left me feeling sad and for the first time, on learning of the Death of a public figure, close to s. The death of Princess Di has nothing on this.

Just to add my own personal little bit of thanks to Douglas N. Adams. May he rest in Peace.

He has been taken from this world far too soon. I wish his Family well smiley - hug, and echo all that has been said so far.

Andy
Redhill, UK

Post 36

Pastey

To add my thoughts to those above.

I've been reading the books since I first started choosing books of my own to read. They were funny and serious in a strange mix.
DNA had a rare talent. He could entertain people.
I never met the man, although I did bump into him on the stairs at the h2g2 towers.
I never knew him, but I know his work.
I'll miss him being "there". And I know that his family will in a much greater way.
So I'll add my condolences and hope that he has gone onto whereever he believed he would.

smiley - rose

Post 37

TheNewZorker

I was 10 when I first picked up a copy of the Guide...

Oh, Belgium, what am I thinking. Nothing can prepare you for the loss of someone this influential. I mean, I grew *up* on the Guide, on Dirk Gently, on Last Chance to See. The most influential thing that ever happened to my writing carrer was Douglas Adams.

I offer his family and friends my deepest condolences. I have no idea what it must be like, but I know that wherever he may be, Mr. Adams is probably having a cup of tea and a great laugh all this lamenting and wailing for him. I just hope he doesn't offend the Angels with Green Wings and Dr. Scholls sandals.

Once again, my deepest condolences. Nothing can prepare us, we just have to cope with the facts. And the fact is: He's not with us and probably a bit miffed about it, and we're here lamenting him when he's probably having a great time. (And leaving the margerine top off too...)

So long, Mr. Adams, and thanks...

Very Truly Yours,

The New Zorker
once known as Irondune Dragon
President & CEO, Frobozz Electric

"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire

Post 38

Being Drunk

Dear Polly and Jane,
Thanks for lending a little bit of him to us. If i could give back some of what i took, and in that giving, you would have more of him, i would.
Every time i pack my towel, i smile.

Post 39

Researcher Ford

I just want to say that this is such a sad moment.

I will never forget Mr. Adams because he changed how I viewed the world.

He will always be a part of the hearts of his fans.

My deepest condolences to the Mr. Adams' family

~Douglas lives on~

Researcher Ford

Post 40

Researcher 174618

I'm sitting in my mums car on our drive way, it is cold and dark and the stars are bright in the sky. We don't have radio in the house. It is 1979 and the first repeats of The Hitchikers Guide are on the car radio. I'm laughing fit to burst and being seduced by the prose and production.

I've been sitting here this evening, my heart heavy, tears in my eyes, and also laughing. I never met DNA why has this hit me so hard?

I guess he had an impact on the way I see the world. There is an election going on in the UK and I'm trying to figure out which lizard to vote for...

Key: Complain about this post