A Conversation for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

HHGTTG Movie

Post 1

Mostly armless

Does anyone out there, or in the Digital Village know anything about the Hitchikers movie taht is in development. I'm sure that lots of others are interested, so if you know anything, splurge it out!
Hey, Douglas Adams if you read this: spill the beans! (What do you know about the beans, Vivian?)

HHGTTG Movie

Post 2

Matt

I've heard that Jim Carrey will probably be in it and that Disney are doing it. Douglas Adams apparently said that he would be in control. Lets hope so.

HHGTTG Movie

Post 3

Mark Rest

I second that, Douglas Adams has to be in control of the movie. Any other person in charge of screenplay is going to lose the brilliance of the ideas and how effortless they fit together.

HHGTTG Movie

Post 4

Zilch

Uh, I know this is an old string, but where did you hear that? Sounds like a big deal thing. Disney, Jim Carey and all. Form what I heard about Disney, they don't like handing conrtol over to anyone. Just a thought, I mean, I don't really like what they've done recently with fairy tale things, ya know? They have a way of twisting it beyond recognition and replacing the old idea with a new, more, uh, polite one which may not fit as well.

HHGTTG Movie

Post 5

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

Jim Carrey? Blasphemy!

HHGTTG Movie

Post 6

Researcher 110207 Non Sequitur

I just left a conversation on DNA's page ("Hi, DNA!")
which suggested that the movie is already out. I hope
this isn't so, since I was supposed to help with the
screenplay.... (Okay, maybe I forgot to tell a few
people about that....) So, has anybody seen it?

As for Disney, if they can have a Disneyworld tie-in,
why not? As anyone who's ever been to Disneyworld
will eventually admit, it's actually quite fun. A HHGTTG
ride would be great for those of us for whom the real
thing would be as satisfying as it is unlikely to actually
happen....

As for Jim Carrey, who's he playing? Zaphod? Actually,
one thing I like to do is cast movies in my head. (I also
write screenplays there, which still doesn't make them
any less valid as future feature films.) I don't like to
suppose I'm the only one who does this, but I'm the only
one I know who considers it almost as a minor hobby.
So I have some ideas who should be in the film. Here are
a few of the performers I have come up with, if anyone
cares to discuss this. (And it doesn't matter if the movie
is already out, because I also think it's fun to recast
movies.)

-- Martin Short: the restaurant floor show announcer, or
possibly Ford or Zaphod
-- Tom Baker: Slartibartfast
-- Hugh Grant: Arthur, or maybe Ford
-- Ringo Starr: Slartibartfast

I seem to recall that I had also cast Trillian, the voices
of the mice, and the "sensitive cops" (named on the
page as Shooty and Bang-Bang in the radio script),
but I don't remember who I picked.

HHGTTG Movie

Post 7

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

...Steven Hawkings as the voice of Marvin...? smiley - tongueout

HHGTTG Movie

Post 8

TheBahxMan

Speaking of beans, has anyone else ever been traumatized by beans?

HHGTTG Movie

Post 9

DjeliBeybi, Sovereign Imperatrix of all Odd Blue Socks, ID

Jim Carrey? Ewwwwwwwww...*shudders* That would desecrate all that is good about HHGTTG...

Noooo...

HHGTTG Movie

Post 10

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I'm told that his portrayal of Andy Kaufmann in "Man in the Moon" was an acceptable acting performance... There may be hope for him yet...

HHGTTG Movie

Post 11

DjeliBeybi, Sovereign Imperatrix of all Odd Blue Socks, ID

I saw that... you're right, that was an acceptable performance.. but then again, I'm young and I'm not that familiar with Andy Kaufmann's personality, sooo... hm.

HHGTTG Movie

Post 12

Bond, James Bond

How about Jane Seymour to play Trillian? Or is she too old? Maybe Tracy Ullman? Or does she not have the look? I'm so confused...

HHGTTG Movie

Post 13

I always thought Trillian was blonde....

HHGTTG Movie

Post 14

The Frood (Stop Torture: A455528)

They can always die their hair depending on what Douglas Adams thinks... though I thought her with brown hair...

HHGTTG Movie

Post 15

Bond, James Bond

John Cleese NEEDS to be in there somewhere. Maybe in a bit part. Hey! He could be Slartibartfast! And how about Ian McKellen as the captain of the Vogons?

HHGTTG Movie

Post 16

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I, personally, think a good cast might be:

Arthur - Matthew Broderick
Ford - Craig Charles
Zaphod - somebody who can do the crazy bit without being too cliche, Jim Carrey or Michael Richards might be able to pull it off
Trillian - someone young (early to mid twenties), leggy, intelligent and blonde (or able to be dyed blonde). definitely needs to be perkier looking than the uma/gwyneth types
Marvin - Jason Alexander?
Slartibartfast - I agree that John Cleese would be a good one here

HHGTTG Movie

Post 17

Robin Williams in "shaggy mode" would also make a good Slartibardfast... smiley - smiley

Or how about Brian Sewell? (UK reference - Art critic and motoring correspondent with the kind of English accent which makes the royal family sound a bit "downmarket"...)

HHGTTG Movie

Post 18

Bond, James Bond

Matthew Broderick would be good; depending on how far they go. If they go liek into the beginning of "Life the Universe and Everything" I can't see Matthew Broderick doing the whole "going insane" thing.

Marvin... Jason Allexander's not sullen enough, maybe Dan Akroyd..? Or the other guy from Ghostbusters, the guy with the glasses; Harold Ramis, that's his name.

As for Trillian, I can't think of any intelligent blondes ... smiley - smiley

HHGTTG Movie

Post 19

Boy, this is fun....

How about one of the actors from "Lexx"? Anybody seen that?

HHGTTG Movie

Post 20

I don't somehow envision Trillian with a latent German accent... Now, if they have the budget to dub Joanna Lumley's voice onto Eva Haberrman's body... smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more