A Conversation for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

HHGTTG Movie

Post 41

Wampus

John Cleese 20 years ago would have been good. Today, I think he's too old.


HHGTTG Movie

Post 42

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

He could play Zaphod's grandson...?


HHGTTG Movie

Post 43

Researcher 158607

While I've heard nothing about a big (or little) budget American production, there is what could pssoibly be called a movie out already. It is actually a BBC miniseries (from the early 80s I believe) that goes through signficant portions of Hitchhiker's Guide and Restaurant. It is extremely accurate as far as dialogue and characters are concerned, but three drunken college students could have made better special effects (Zaphod's second head was obviously a stuffed and painted sack). So anyway, while I certainly hope to see a true Hitchhiker's movie someday, in the meantime we have to settle for this. I'd tell you where to find a copy of it, but I don't honestly know--I found a 2-tape set at a flea market 3 years ago and have not seen another copy since.


HHGTTG Movie

Post 44

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Sadly, those of us in the UK remember it rather well. Sandra Dickinson as "Trillian" still makes me shudder to think of it. It's still available - http://www.amazon.co.uk have it on two tapes, at £9.95 each or £14.95 for the set of 2. I assume Amazon.com will have it too...


HHGTTG Movie

Post 45

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Alternately, you could support this site by paying twice as much here... http://shop.douglasadams.com/cgi-bin/dna/05-00?VpZQNofn;;5smiley - smiley


HHGTTG Movie

Post 46

DNA Beast

What is all this text about Trillian having blonde hair?
It distinctly says in HHGTTG that she has brown hair and looks vaguely arabic.
I recall reading at some point that Douglas Adams had his own biases towards characters.
While he said that 'Simon Jones' (I think this is right. The guy from the TV series and the Radioplay) was Arthur Dent, and in fact the role was written with Simon in mind, because of the inescapable aging problem Arthur would have to be played by someone younger.
He proposed Stephen Fry as Arthur.
And Jeff Goldblum as Ford
Also (if I'm not mistaken) Sean Connery as Slartibartfast.


HHGTTG Movie

Post 47

Bond, James Bond

Stephen Fry... was that the guy who played Bertie in the Jeeves and Wooster "movies"?


HHGTTG Movie

Post 48

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Nope - he was the one who played "Jeeves"; "Bertie" was Hugh Lawrie.


HHGTTG Movie

Post 49

Researcher 110207 Non Sequitur

How about Cleese for the voice of the book? Some other
choices for this role: Ben Stein or Lorenzo Music. They
both sort of have monotone voices, though, so maybe one
of them should play Marvin.

Or maybe I'm being a little too arcane with my choices....


HHGTTG Movie

Post 50

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

HEY!!!! Steven Moore's still around, you know - NO-ONE ELSE FOR MARVIN!!!


HHGTTG Movie

Post 51

Sir Enix The Confuser

HMV have it smiley - smiley


HHGTTG Movie

Post 52

Sir Enix The Confuser

Maybe - but he could still pull it off IMO. Amazing what they can do with camera tricks and all that these days...


HHGTTG Movie

Post 53

Researcher Bradley

Whoever said Trillian was American should re-read "Mostly Harmless"..she is British. I just read that part of the story yesterday.

I've heard it rumored that Hugh Lawrie will be playing Auther Dent. DNA has said he has to have a British actor play Auther.


HHGTTG Movie

Post 54

soeasilyamused, or sea

sean connery as slartibartfast?! that would be awesome.


HHGTTG Movie

Post 55

M@x

Have we actually (actually) heard any further info about the movie? As far as I know, it's been ages since anything solid came out of Disney, DNA, or anywhere to be honest.....

Have they given up altogether? Or are they just having the same sort of discussion as us? smiley - winkeye

Stephen Moore IS Marvin, IMHO.
M@x


HHGTTG Movie

Post 56

soeasilyamused, or sea

*grins and shrugs* i don't know... the first time i heard of it was in this thread...


HHGTTG Movie

Post 57

M@x

[LOL] And the last, perchance?


HHGTTG Movie

Post 58

Bond, James Bond

Sean Connery as slartibartfast would be awesome! I can just picture him saying "I told you it wasn't important" after telling Arthur his name.


HHGTTG Movie

Post 59

soeasilyamused, or sea

*grin* err... this thread... smiley - biggrin


HHGTTG Movie

Post 60

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

last I heard was Disney had decided not to do it, and DNA et al were taking the project elsewhere.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more