A Conversation for How to Write Bad Poetry

A456653 How to Write Bad Poetry

Post 1

Sad, Mad or Bad? - I always wanted to be a dino, but alas, I'm just old.

http://www.h2g2.com/A456653

This is my first attempt, and I'm not sure if it's what you're after, but I would like to submit it for editting.

It's an alternative look on writing poetry. Any and all constructive comments would be appreciated.

Post 2

Lear (the Unready)

Neither sad, mad, nor bad, in my humble opinion. An enjoyable piece of writing, and I don't see any reason why the Guide shouldn't take it on board as a relevant subject. After all, h2g2 purports to deal with real-life subject matter, and there's no shortage of bad poetry out there in the world.

Your article might benefit from a few illustrations from this immense canon, actually. That might help to flesh it out a bit.

I don't necessarily agree that bad poetry requires less thought than the good stuff. I've personally laboured (in the dim and distant past) for hours on end over pages and pages of what turned out to be complete crap, and it always seemed to get worse the harder I tried... smiley - winkeye

All the best, Lear.

PS - what's a Vogon?

Post 3

Gavroche

While it may sound strange, H2G2 does tend to shy away from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy references in edited entries. It blurs the lines between fact and fiction, and the guide entries are supposed to be fact. (Consider that the fictional guide supposedly contained factual entries for that fictional universe. So while an entry mentioning Vogons would be fine in DNA's universe's Guide, it doesn't work for the Earth edition).

I like this entry, though I have a desire for it to go on longer. I'd like more methods. One I can think of:

1) Throwing in as many over-used cliches as possible.

As I beat the dead horse
and Fate runs its course
Your lips taste like wine
And we both toe the line

Post 4

Lear (the Unready)

2) For the truly desperate stuff, you can't beat a good dose of downright pretentiousness. Make sure to include a bit of utterly gratuituous literary namedropping, eg...

Solitude heavier than a stony albatross
As I traversed Ulysses' throbbing membrane of despair
As though in thrall to an earlier Wasteland -
The trajectory of silence.

I think I'll stop there actually...

Post 5

Thank you both for your wonderful comments!

I've changed 'Vogon' (they were the worst poets in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy universe, Lear, if my memory serves me right) to 'William McGonnagall' - who even has the benefit of an article to link to smiley - smiley

The others are great suggestions, and I'll work on them. Thank you!

Post 6

OK, I had a few more ideas as well as the excellent suggestions you guys gave me, and I've edited the article accordingly.

How does that look?

Post 7

Number 6

There once was a man from Nantucket. . . .

Oh wait! That's downright plagarism. Actually. . .

Driving in my car
wanting to go far
laughing at everyone that I pass
That is until I run out of gas
In my car I'm a superman
Weaving through traffic because I can
Now as I sit with my hazards blinking
I just can't stop thinking
Maybe I should have stopped an hour ago
Instead of looking like schmo

Maybe there should be a bad poetry contest to see who could write the worst maybe?
smiley - fish

Post 8

Lear (the Unready)

It gets better every time I look at it. Excellent stuff. And as for this William McGonagall fellow - well, what can I say? A revelation...

Post 9

Thank you smiley - bigeyes

Post 10

On the subject of rhymes (since this article is full of it), I found a link to a rhyming dictionary. I think it'll prove to be an entertaining addition.

Post 11

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Well done! This is a very entertaining and practical guide for those of us who aspire to the awful. Bad poetry, horrible art, and atrocious dress sense - to quote the inimitable July Andrews - are a few of my favourite things.smiley - smiley

JTG

Post 12

Thanks smiley - smiley

Post 13

Salamander the Mugwump

Very good! I think writing bad poetry is a natural 'gift' that some people are just born with but it would be useful to have this entry in The Edited Guide to help those unfortunate souls who are not so blessed.

Post 14

Seven of Nine [(1x52)-2-8]x1=42!

This is a very good entry, I wonder why it's been in Peer Review so long?

Post 15

It's always handy to get a few extra pointers when you get stuck! I've had a few myself since I started the article smiley - smiley

smiley - blue, smiley - steam or smiley - devil

Post 16

Lear (the Unready)

St. Seven, I agree. This one should have been snapped up ages ago.

Calling all Scouts - pick this, pick this, pick this, etc...

Post 17

Aw thanks guys smiley - blush. I'd sort of given up that it WOULD be picked.

Post 18

Inspired by the revival of this conversation, I have given the entry that overhaul I always meant to. Please let me know what you think now. It's had quite a few tweaks, and I think the look is much improved.

Post 19

NexusSeven

Well, I like this entry, anyway. smiley - smiley

Post 20

Martin Harper

Yes, it is a good entry - the rewrite has significantly improved it, I think.

The first couple of lines are particularly nice: lovely way to introduce the entry. I'm not quite so convinced by the Jane Austen reference - a little pretentious to my ear...

> "this article"

we call them entries... smiley - smiley

> This technique was succinctly and piquantly described
> by Morris Major and the Minors:
> "And there's no line here."

Umm?
That just lost me...

However, I'll share Tom Lehrer's usage of this technique, in his song "My Home Town":

"That fella was no fool,
who taught our sunday school,
and neither was our kindly parson brown.
(We're recording tonight, so I'll have to leave this line out)
In my home town!"

But many off the techniques for writing bad poetry apply to bad folk songs, too - bad rhymes, for example - and the wonderful techniques of making it *almost* have rhythym... but always be a syllable or two out.

I think you should mention Clerihews (and link to that entry). Clerihews are great because they are universally bad. It is, I am convinced, impossible to make a Clerihew a good poem, without making it not a clerihew. Probably because it has a strict rhyming requirement, and the first line has to be the guy's name - so there is endless fun doing one for Sarah McGoghlan or whatever... smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more