A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

Does luck really exsist??????(sorry for spelling mistakes)

Post 1

poppyButtercup7

Heya guys! umm

i have been talking to a few of my firends, they all siad
"Good Luck" or "POPPY! don;t leave you umbrella up in doors...it;s bad luck" and even "Poppy look out...three drians in a row!"

but i talked to my brother and he told me that

"there is no such thing as luck, if you believe in god and what he has done for you (which i do!) then you know that god has a plan and at tomes it looks like his plan is looking bad but in relsaity his in control of ebveryhting and you shoudl not worry about naything!"

I do believe in micheal but.... i;m just confused????

God bless

poppyButtercup7

Post 2

emo_kid- that's meee alright!

Well I for one am very superstitious! Ibelive in both good and bad luck!

Post 3

NPY

Well for me, there's opportunities and runs of stuff, but all that stuff about black cats and magpies and open umberellas....totally daft. What's going to happen if you open an umberella indoors? With things like that I just think that the stuff'd probably happen anyway, it just gives something to blame it on.

Post 4

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Nope... Don't belive in luck, though that doesn't stop one using phrases like 'good luck', really just meaning from my point of view 'wish you well'....
Luck, like with superstitions just comes down to drawing connections where there isn't any causal relationship....
Blimey, I got really drunk last weekend, I was wearing my black hat, blimey that black hat must make me get really drunk... smiley - winkeye
'Wow, that is the highest result I've gotten in any of my exams, must be cause I used the special pen that I was given....' smiley - biro etc., etc., smiley - weird
smiley - erm
So I guess I just take 'luck' as being the same as 'chance',
'oh that was good luck we just made the bar in time for last orders....', means no, its just chance our train was on time and we ran fast enough etc., etc., smiley - weirdsmiley - 2centssmiley - ufosmiley - smiley

Post 5

I respect your point of view. Although I belive in good luck and bad luck, "if a black cat crosses the street then you get bad luck", I don't belive in that one.

Post 6

NPY

Wher does that one come from anyway? walking under ladders I get coz something could land on your head, but the black cats, magpies and rabbit's feet....smiley - erm What started those?

Post 7

Well as you probly know in the medievil times they where very supertitious. And I think someone just got a little too paranoid.

Post 8

NPY

does it *really* go back *that* far?

Post 9

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

That far, and furhter.... Probably more superstition about further back in time as there just wasn't the knowledge we now have to give logical explinations to things smiley - ermsmiley - blackcat

Post 10

NPY

I still can't see where a rabbit's foot was supposed to be lucky. It's definately not lucky for the poor limping rabbit.

Post 11

I don't know either, but where's the harm in beliving in something? smiley - smiley

Post 12

NPY

true it's prett harmless to most. But for those who *really* believe it, it can be quite dabilitating.

Post 13

I agree, it's alright to them as long as it does't get into a fad with everybody and that you have to do certain things like go to church every sunday and not do certain thing like, um, not have sex before you are married. That's out of controwl.

Post 14

but that's just using god as an example I couldn't think of anything else! smiley - smiley

Post 15

NPY

Not the same thing though. At least with that sort of thing there's a reason, though it can get out of control too. Another debate I think.

With putting umberellas up in the house being unlucky, there's no real logic with it. You can't say that God told you not to coz it'd be sinful or whatever.

Or is the difference just in my head?

Post 16

Well get this for unlucky,a profromance was rehersing for a concert. They all opened umberellas, indoors. I ended up forgetting my parents' tikets and there was a traffic jam!!

Post 17

NPY

Though was the forgetting the tickets or the traffic jam a direct result of umbrellas being opened indoors? Or was it that you got held up looking for/going back for the tickets and so got stuck in busy traffic that wouldn't have been out 5 minutes earlier?

Post 18

I blame the umberellas. We didn't go back we just baught more.

Post 19

NPY

smiley - ermsmiley - sorry Buyt will take more thgan that to convince me that there's something to it. I've put umbrellas up in the house on many occasions but haven't seen and resulting bad-luck.

Post 20

You can belive what you want (not beeing nasty) but i'm very superstitious. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post