A Conversation for Condoms

S'cuse me

Post 1

Boys and Cake Girl

Great article. But can I add that it is perfectly ok for the female of the species to charge into a chemist and purchase condoms. It's not just a male thang! Thank you, this has been a public service announcement for any worried young women watching. smiley - smiley

S'cuse me

Post 2

Cheerful Dragon

Then there are the condom machines in ladies' public conveniences. These are particularly noticeable in places like loos in universities and in pubs where you get a lot of young people. (At least, they are in England). The first time I saw one of these vending machines in a ladies loo I had to go out and check I was in the right place!smiley - winkeye

S'cuse me

Post 3

Con

Yes. Good point Boys and Cake Girl. And the same point stands doesn't it? If you're buying them the person behind the counter is more likely to think, 'Mmm, she's attractive' or 'I wonder what her boyfriend's like?', or 'What a sensible level-headed girl' than laugh at you.

So go girls, don't even give it a moments thought. smiley - smiley

S'cuse me

Post 4

dom

Of course! Silly me - I wrote it while thinking of my own experiences buying condoms, but you're right, it's not just men who do it.

Which is exactly how it should be, of course.

S'cuse me

Post 5

Anya

They have condom machines at universties in England? Wow, here at my University in the States - and, I might add, a state University - they made freshmen attend a lecture on why we should not be having sex. They claimed that 25% of American college students are not having sex. . .which in my experience is extremely unlikely.

I refuse to rant about the puritanical sensibilities of most Americans. I just don't buy into them.

S'cuse me

Post 6

Emily 'Twa Bui' Ultramarine

I went to Amsterdam recently (school trip, out of interest) and you can buy condoms practically everywhere. They're cheaper than in England, too; I seriously considered stocking up before coming home, then I wondered how I would explain that one away... smiley - smiley

S'cuse me

Post 7

Anya

Mere practicality, my mother makes sure that I have them, when I'm at home.

S'cuse me

Post 8

My mother went nuts when she found them in my bag (yes, she goes through my stuff as the desire takes her). I'm not underage, and I thought that she would have been pleased that I was reasonably responsible... but no... smiley - sadface

S'cuse me

Post 9

Cheerful Dragon

Richard (my husband) uses them - at least he does when he's with me!smiley - winkeye I have used things like the Pill, but I suffered side-effects from one kind of contraceptive and decided that anything chemical was liable to do something odd to my body (to a greater or lesser extent). We've used condoms ever since (about 3 years now), and no failures - yet!

S'cuse me

Post 10

Anya

I'm very happy with my low-dose birth control pills, but I wouldn't dream of not using a condom unless my partner had been tested for every nasty thing out there. . .and even then I'd have to think about it.

Seriously, the Pill has benefits, but isn't for everyone.

S'cuse me

Post 11

The Pill does help with the paranoia; before I started, I was always terrified of a condom splitting or something, since if I did get pregnant I'd be up a certain creek without a certain instrument.

The thing about the Pill is you really have to be motivated and make sure you remember to take it on time. That's what worries me about the male Pill; women have a real incentive to remember, whereas *some* men may not have such a grasp on the consequences... smiley - sadface

S'cuse me

Post 12

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

Luckily, I had a trusted friend who went through everything before me. Everyone should have one; they're like one of those old men in bad sci-fi films, who you can rely on always etc. etc. gratitude. It also meant that, after she suffered the Dreaded Split, I could console her if she were about to throw up.
What puts me off condoms is they're just too silly.

S'cuse me

Post 13

Anya

There is, indeed, a vast folklore of humorous condom stories: everyone has at least one from personal experience. Still, they are very useful for preventing diseases.

The Condom Conundrum

Post 14

Oolon Flux

When I was in college my dorm mate and I had a condom package (the kind with the instructions for use) taped to the outside of our dorm room door. Our Guidance Counselor gave the condoms to all of us co-eds for free. I feel that as responsible young ladies and gentlemen we need to use the protection that has been made available to us, although I don't advertise so blatantly anymore. So while I am a full supporter of the condom I do have a couple comments:

1) Flavored condoms should be banned - basically a good intentioned idea gone terribly wrong.
2) Why do guys always want the ladies to "apply" the device? Please put it on yourself, it's generally an akward moment to begin with and asking your partner for help doesn't promote the mood. While I personally can apply the device with one hand relatively quickly - I would rather not, thanks.

The Condom Conundrum

Post 15

Con

I don't know about the flavoured ones. I quite like them,in that they're quite a giggle, I mean who can take a pink strawberry flavoured penis too seriously? smiley - winkeye

The Condom Conundrum

Post 16

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

Who can take one seriously as it is? Outside of the setting, that is. It wouldn't be polite to laugh unless you know each other very well (and can put up with endless sarcasm for weeks afterwards).

The Condom Conundrum

Post 17

Ah yes, but you get extra marks on the purity test for having laughed at a penis...

The Condom Conundrum

Post 18

Cheerful Dragon

I always say that anyone who thinks God doesn't have a sense of humour, hasn't looked at a naked man recently. It doesn't matter how well-hung they are, that area looks ridiculous.smiley - bigeyes

The Condom Conundrum

Post 19

Anya

Sadly, all too true. Yet it doesn't matter too much to me - I usually have my eyeglasses off anyway if a guy around me is naked. smiley - winkeye

The Condom Conundrum

Post 20

Ah yes... but then you have to work purely on touch and hearing; contact lenses can be quite good, except when in a state of post-coital relaxation your partner gazes into your eyes only to tell you that he's looking for the lenses...

Key: Complain about this post