This is the Message Centre for Titania (gone for lunch)

Current status

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

This specific journal is not created to merely unload frustration, but rather give an explanation to people why I've been lacking in enthusiasm in more than one area lately (last few weeks) especially those requiring at least a little bit of imagination...

Winter Blues (google and you'll see what I mean) - it hit me unusually early this year, in the end of September if I remember correctly. It came as a surprise, because I hadn't expected it to set in until October.

3 weeks ago: bad cold - fever, soar throat, clogged up nose, headache, tired

2 weeks ago: cold followed by sinusitis - yippieee (not), tired

1 week ago: extremely swollen throat, making me feel as if I was wearing a polo jumper(?) with extremely tight collar, tired.

I called a medical advise telephone line, and they said 'probably a virus infection in your tonsils' and 'no need to see a doctor, it'll heal by itself'

Today: Tonsils still so swollen that I have no difficulty locating them from the outside. I asked if I could feel one of my colleague's throat just to learn how tonsils are supposed to feel when they're not infected - and I couldn't even locate hers.

Currently: the 'collar feeling' comes and goes, and my tonsils are still about the size of - uh - quail eggs? Almost visibly swollen, I'd say. Tired? Oh yeah - tired to the bone...

Current status

Post 2

Phil

Sounds like you need to get to a smiley - doctor there T and get yourself fixed!
smiley - hug
smiley - cheerup

Current status

Post 3

Coniraya

I'd agree with that. Especially if you can see white or yellow spots on your tonsils, which would probably mean you have tonsilitis and some antibiotics should sort that out.

I hope you are feeling better very quickly.

smiley - hug

Current status

Post 4

Titania (gone for lunch)

That's something that the phone line nurse asked me: what does your tonsils look like?

So I tried, and I tried, pressing down my tongue with a spoon until I almost choked - but I'll be damned if I can see my own tonsils!smiley - steam

OK, so I will make a phone call on Monday to get an appointment with my allergy doctor (private ear-nose-throat-doctor). He'll probably be extremly busy at this time of the year, so it'll probably take a couple of days before I can get an appointment, but if my tonsils are still swollen at that time, then I probably need to see him, right?

Current status

Post 5

Witty Moniker

Yes, you do need to see him. And when you call, make sure you tell the appointment clerk your condition. That should bump you up on the list. Do you have a fever? smiley - cheerup

Current status

Post 6

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - cheerup
I'll be praying for you to get better quickly, Ti.
smiley - biggrin

Current status

Post 7

Sol

Oh your poor thing, T. I was wondering why you weren't your usual bouncy self. Get well soon smiley - cheerup

Current status

Post 8

Riccardo - Keeper of the Hammond Organ

In my (limited!) experience echinacea is the only effective prevention/cure for a cold or sore throat. Give it a try, it can't hurt! smiley - smiley

Current status

Post 9

Hypatia

Sending lots of long distance smiley - hugs and best wishes. (And do what Caer tells you.)

Current status

Post 10

Munchkin

Hie thee to a Doctor sharpish I would say. And then get better. smiley - hug

Current status

Post 11

Coniraya

Can you take aspirin, T, or is that one of your allegies?

If you can, then gargling with 2 soluble aspirin dissolved in a glass of water and swolling it after you have swilled it around your tonsils thoroughly can be of help. But only if you aren't allergic to it and not taking any other painkillers.

Current status

Post 12

Coniraya

'swallowing' not swolling!

I would try the excuse that my cut finger is all bandaged up, but you would see through that, knowing my usual standard of typing!

Current status

Post 13

Titania (gone for lunch)

Thanks for the smiley - hugs all - really, you're too sweet...smiley - brave

Echinacea - tried that at the beginning of the cold 3 weeks ago, but it had no effect. I find that's often the case with echinacea - for some colds it works brilliantly, and for some colds it just doesn't do anything

Fever - no fever except at the outbreak 3 weeks ago, and then for one day 2 weeks ago when I got sinisitus, and the sinisitus only lasted for a couple of days (unless this more or less constantly runny and clogged up nose means I've still got it but just don't feel it)

Aspirin contains acetyl- acetylsale- that acid, doesn't it? I got a bad reaction once in combination with something else that I've forgotten what it was, so I've been sticking to ibuprofen ever since. Maybe if I try gargling without swallowing?

And what I find most odd is that my throat doesn't feel sore at all - it doesn't hurt a bit. It's just very swollen.

Current status

Post 14

Santragenius V

smiley - cheerupsmiley - rose

smiley - hug

smiley - smiley

Current status

Post 15

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

T, I'm allergic to aspirin, and I would not even gargle with it. It seems to do the exact opposite to me then what it is supposed to (increase swelling, pain, make ears ring etc), so if you are allergic to aspirin too, it would make things worse not better.

Try something safer, like gargling with water and vinegar, or salt water. I hope you feel better quickly.
smiley - dog

Current status

Post 16

Titania (gone for lunch)

Latest update: I finally got an appointment with a smiley - doctor (they do seem to be busy this time of they year) last Thursday.

I had been worrying a little about not feeling swollen that day, fearing that he wouldn't find anything wrong with me (yes, I had one doctor telling me I was imagining things once, but luckily I got a second opinion)

Well... he didn't manage to pinpoint why I feel swollen... obviously my tonsils, pharynx(?) and even... even... *hurls away dictionary in frustration* throat-lid (directly translated from Swedish) looked OK...

...but he could tell from my breathing and my swallowing that there was something... so I got some antibiotics and an inhalator (because he said that sometimes a cold can trigger allergic reactions, and I've experienced asthma before, only it doesn't make my throat feel swollen quite this way).

I did get a 'happy birthday' from the pharmacist when I picked up my medication - that was nice!smiley - smiley

I took Monday and Tuesday off this week, and the next three days are considered holidays in Sweden, so I don't have to be back at w*rk until December 29th!smiley - diva

Current status

Post 17

Hati

Good to know that there has been some improvement. smiley - hug Take care of yourself. smiley - smiley

Current status

Post 18

pdante'

And i' 2nd that and put gargleing with 2 drops of tea tree oil in salty water but effectivesmiley - hugget better soon

Current status

Post 19

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I hope you are well now, and wish you "grattis i efterskott"!!!

smiley - cheerup

Tjingsmiley - towel (for blowing nose)
Milla

ps Thanks for card!

Current status

Post 20

Titania (gone for lunch)

Thanks Milla - I got your card too... now I just need to get the photos that I sent to Henriette online, so that I can share them with you and Luckystar too...

Key: Complain about this post