A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

105Xth Conversation Chez Lil

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Welcome to the Atelier and to the happy coterie of conversationalists who are still exhilarated by the coming transition to version 3 of h2g2, a.k.a. Noohootoo. We discuss everything and nothing in particular, sometimes with great intensity. You are welcome to join us, but please look over our forum page at A304354 first. There you will learn about us and how we operate, even what some of us look like, and certainly what the atelier looks like.

First LED Roll of Honour - thread commenced 10 March 2011 and finished on 12 July 2011

Bea FTTF
Mr. D
Phil
Metal Chicken
Bluebottle
Marv
Z
Happy Nerd
Mags
Eatsmice
kello
Pedros_Ecosse
Bald Bloke
==========
Bel
Titania
egon
Milla
GDZ
minismiley - mouse
Santra
Tod
Taff
Mol
Amy P
space cadette
Witty Moniker
Rosemary
Bluebottle
David B
Phil
V
gandalfstwin
jr
Wandering Albatross
Jau
Haragai
Affi
Hypatia
Mysterious Stranger
lapislazuli (checking in from Bahrain)
B4
Affi
Nick
Yar
tartaronne
egon
Agapanthus
Bagpuss
Corrupt One
ltp 2441 (and 2442! smiley - applause)
Ottox
Mrs. Zen 2509

A new salonista! Welcome, Haragai. Yar Kramer (inventor of Continuity Bleach and the infamous Mog's Special) also joined us, as there seemed to be no active adventures occurring.

Best throwaway line, from Eats, post 550: "Something quite amazing about working out in the woods, then collapsing next to a tree to have lunch. Felled a few 80 footers as the instructor was getting us to thin out an area. Plus, since I was there they made a great noise."

Best picture link from Titania at post 2222, a real blast of nostalgia: http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr...=X8SZx6yeYvFxL%2FgEH38D%2FcFhTV0%3D .

Two banner headlines to commemorate from the previous conversation: Solnushka gave birth to the Comet on June 2nd at 7 pm, and h2g2c2 gave birth to a successful bid to acquire HooToo, under the aegis of Robbie Stamp and with collaboration with Noesis.

We had no sooner got settled than a level 10 earthquake struck Japan. It is the most video'd quake ever. Amy experienced a shadow of the tsunami on the California coast, and everyone became disaster-conscious; Lil now has escape luggage permnently parked near the front door. On top of that, what everyone is now calling the Arab Spring just kept growing, and Titania was still experiencing snow.

Kelli lost her dad: he entered hospital toward the beginning of the conversation and seemed to recover, but passed on in June.

Many salonistas were attending interviews throughout the thread. Rosemary got a job -- Mr. D got a job -- Lil got onto a telecommuting training course -- Marv got a new job and started immediately. Eats kept up with his chainsaw training, even bought a second one, and was accepted at college to do forestry.

Your hostess was constantly on yellow alert because of fires in the area -- four of them, one of which was very large indeed.

Several very vigorous discussions took place in the course of the thread. The first had to do initially with conditions in US hospitals but broadened to include the US medical system vs. others, and then broadened even further, to management techniques. Z's post at 611 is worth a re-read. Then there was the matter of raw milk and the consequences of its consumption. And then Hypatia raised a question as to how a patient could trust that the tests they are prescribed are actually necessary. A very American sort of question, met with amazement by our British doctah. See Post 1134 for his framing of the discussion.

When the Rapture didn't occur, Taff put himself in the line of fire from the Augustinians and Kantians in the parish, regarding the (non)existence of gods.

There was also a Royal Wedding. And then, also in England, a voting referendum, AV/FPTT. See explanation by Phil (who got all Cromwellian at mention of royals) at post 841. Most British salonistas found the results depressing.

Witty and Amy were both in protracted house negotiations, and both fell through. smiley - sadface An extremely large tornado touched down uncomfortably close to Hypatia, while Z was off to a conference in Germany. Hyp's account of the tornado experience is at post 1613.

A pool was launched to bet on the Comet's birthdate, and then a second pool, when the Comet decided to stay indoors an extra while (although Z came closest in Pool 1, and mini won #2). Many music videos were posted.

Santra santra'd a lot from all over Europe and even the US, and the world was scheduled to end on May 21st. Instead, Lil took delivery of, assembled, and settled into an Electric Easy Chair. Eatsmice participated in a final review of 42 Squadron (and 2 others, in all the last 3 maritime patrol squadrons): http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/251818-farewell-march-for-raf-kinloss/

Lots of good health news was shared, with physicals passed and moonwalks walked and bicycles ridden and mountains walked and trees felled.

The conversation had just moved into overtime when the news came in about the rescue of h2g2. Z and haragai got terribly snockered on PGGBs and Greensleeves composed and sang a new song for the occasion.

Z's cat Bella became poorly and he went to great lengths to give it medical treatment. Another vigorous discussion ensued regarding euthanasia, of humans as well as animals.

Just as Titania was suffering damage in her flat because of over-enthusiastic DIY by another tenant, the salon suffered heavy ceiling damage because of an impromptu dragon. CLI provided workbots to clear up the damage, and when Lil went off to look for leftover ceiling paint an adventure materialized at F38024?thread=8251727

Minismiley - mouse spent a weekend at the Gingerbread House, for need of hugs. Many virtual hugs were also sent her way.

smiley - popcorn
Other Topics of Discussion

Millenium films
historic aircraft
radiation
cleaning ladies
The Killing
municipal art
replacement cars
biking and hiking
service animals
wildfires
wild animals savaged by cats - rescue or "quick thump"?
UBL is killed
cell phones 1 - Bees 0
'
cheese
turkey in the courtyard
redwings in Chicago
napping and sleep problems
lunar eclipses
housecleaning computers
potty training
kindles
Fires
Portal
haboob! http://vimeo.com/26045314

smiley - cheesecake
Quizzes
Munsell Test for Color Discrimination
http://www.colormunki.com/game/huetest_kiosk

What philosopher do you identify with?:
http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=PhilosophyGuys

smiley - tea
What a time interval that was! Let's hope events in the new conversation are less interesting, as the Chinese saying sort of goes, except, perhaps, for a certain media mogul.

Despite the hole in the ceiling, which our landlords are seeing to, the salon is clean again, and Matina has baked mbougatses to make the new start more enjoyable. Please make yourselves at home, and no hogging the first LED.

Mind the dragon.

Post 2

marvthegrate LtG KEA

Stretches in to the new conversation.

Post 3

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Second?

Post 4

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I expected more of a race to the new convo.
Regarding that job of mine, it didn't work out. Bad fit for me. I am still looking for something better that will be a bit more fulfilling.

Post 5

Phil

Hello again. Just in time from shifting round lots of computers and monitors this week.

Post 6

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

First LED again! Whee!

Post 7

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

[Nick - buried in domesticity]

Post 8

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

We're hoping to have a working harbor by crab season. The closest harbor big enough is Eureka, which is 90 miles as the road goes, 2 hours driving time due to sharp curves.

Post 9

Haragai

[Haragai]

Post 10

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

Yoo Hoo there yo'all are.

Post 11

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - boing

smiley - run to read scribing.

Post 12

Phil

Yo All indeed. Remember Y'All is the singular and Y'All Y'All is the plural

*mutter*mutter*mutter*

Post 13

Post Team

I'm here, but it's me, Bea!

Post 14

*Matina brings Marv an irish coffee in a FTTF mug*

Post 15

Dizzy H. Muffin

I'm still having a bit of difficulty sleeping. Mind you, I'm blaming myself for the past couple of nights, because I got to *bed* late too.

Post 16

And here I thought it was "all y'all"

smiley - smiley

Post 17

"Y'all" is the second person plural of "you".

I have a flock of swallows nesting in the eaves in back of my house. No chicks yet or they'd be coming back and forth with food; right now the flock is flying about over the pasture between my house and the river, eating mosquitoes that have hatched on account of the rain. That they are flying low means more rain today -- when it's dry these aerial acrobatics take place at much higher altitudes.

Yar, why do you stay up till 4? Night shift? Gaming junkie? You can confide in the salon -- it's just us and a bazillion lurkers. smiley - silly

Post 18

Phil

Swallows, I tried to photograph some in flight over the allotment a week or two ago. It was hard as they don't half move fast while doing their aerobatics chasing the insects.

Post 19

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

1st LED 2 hours after thread start? My goodness, everyone must be busy.

Post 20

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

Are they African or European swallows?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more