A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

9FXth Conversation at Lil's

Post 1

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Welcome to the Atelier! We approach the tenth anniversary of a segmented but continuous conversation measured out in hexadecimal lengths, with both charter members (those 5-digit gods and goddesses smiley - winkeye ) and newer but no less worthy arrivals. Our forum page is A304354; if this is your first visit, please peruse the page and get to know our customs and informal by-laws. There's nowhere quite like this.

Everyone survived the BBCiD signon changeover, except for those who, er, didn't exactly. Bluebottle is sulking as am alter ego, Count Spracula, and there's no news of Sporky.

But eatsmice returned! (1080). It had been several years since Sandy Duties required his withdrawal from the salon, and we are all overjoyed to have him back. Hey eats, remember when you accidentally set fire to the Magic Forest with some over-enthusiastic ordinance? smiley - evilgrin

Also prodigal and happily greeted on her return was lostmonalisa at #2112, gone too long to merit blue mohair. Ancient Brit made an honored appearance bearing a message of public concern (Sporky's ID problems) before that, and we also caught a glimpse of Ottox and j'au-æmne. Mr. Dreadful left a calling card and slipped out again before that. So that leaves Strangely Strange as the last regular salonista to the forum. And yet, Strangely is one of our most irregular regulars...

Welcome to r4registry! I wasn't sure he was going to stick to us, but he did pop up again out of the whitewater of our backlog, so I hope we see more of him.

First LED Roll of Honor
Kelli FTTF
Vip
Witty Moniker
Hypatia
minichessemouse
Mrs. Zen
Greensleeves
Teuchter
Agapanthus
Bluebottle
B4
FG
===========
Bald Bloke
KerrAvon
Magwitch
GDZ
Beatrice
Santra
David B
Titania
Ripley
egon
Mysterious Stranger
B'Elana
Mol
Amy P
Runescribe
Solnushka
Todaymueller
Phil
Lentilla
MR
gandalfstwin
Happy Nerd
SpaceCadette
Wandering Albatross
BondageBeanBag
Metal Chicken
Pedros_Ecosse
Z
Milla
V
Garius Lupus
Wolfgang & Houndstooth
tartaronne
Marv
r4registry new at 245
Taff
Strangely Strange
Mr. Dreadful
Ottox
j'au-æmne
Ancient Brit
lostmonalisa 2112

Coolest Links --
Sloths
http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8498000/8498058.stm
Sled Dogs
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/02/dogs_and_sleds.html
Tran-Siberian Railway
http://www.google.ru/intl/ru/landing/transsib/en.html
Presidential puppies
http://public.fotki.com/Hypatia/2010-02-22/
Hatifnats
http://www.postvagnen.com/forum/index.php?id=260094
Purposelessness
http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-content/2009/09/Sign.jpg (thanks, Titania)
Even more so, in a box
http://www.leavemealonebox.com/ (thanks, eatsmice)
And now the Dalai Lama is on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/DalaiLama
Teh Blak Kitteh is adopted by mags
http://preview.tinyurl.com/TehBlakKitteh

You Had To Be There Dep't.: Runescribe advised David B, "You'll just have to explain that you can't come in because your oratorio is infested with flats." (context: see c.post 578)
*** and ***
Bluebottle related a message, "I'd like to let you know I won't be in My Body today. I know I was absent from My Body last week and have not attended My Body for a while, as I was out of My Body the week before, but the reason I missed My Body last week is I was ill..." (820)
*** and ***
Titania said, offhand, "It's a bit like the Swedish Donald Duck at Christmas thing, isn't it?" (1820) Context is everything...

It was late January when the conversation commenced, and salonistas in all corners of this round planet were still being snowed upon. Almost as ubiquitous as snowflakes were packing boxes and assorted builders refurbishing kitchens and other rooms.

The season was filled with stray illnesses for the toddlers and babies -- we have a crêche, you know -- of our mother salonistas. I believe everyone will agree, however, that Kelli took top honors (Bravery in the Face of Carp) for ministering to two simultaneous cases of squits.

David B, did you find a brass ring? Tod, has your article on fishing been published? Strangely, are you still cherishing that smiling doggie? Hypatia, how fare the unexpected puppies? Metal Chicken, have you chitted your blue spuds? Marv, how's the drunk dial thing coming along?
smiley - tea
Topics and Other Items of Note

A new bluebottle baby is on its way.
giantmicrobe.com
peopleofwalmart, old lady haircuts
European side of the sea becoming more and more preoccupied with football.
winter vomiting disease
cheese and pickle sandwiches
...pickles and chutney
...and vinegar and the Mother
evaluating and publishing research (see Z at 645 and following, for excellent summary)
the feasibility of a mortarboard smiley
Temple Grandin and a resurgence of the vegetarian debate
quorn
What color looks good on you
climate change (and see post 1247 for a quick blood pressure bounce)
foxes and chickens
You say biscuits, I say biscuits
mobiles at the dinner table
marriage proposals
we like ossuaries
google's expanded search engine raises privacy issues
A salad of nodding breaks out
How smart is your right foot? (a sort of quiz, 1555)
spotdulls
pig farms
alarmed doors
snails
Mrs. Zen Lowers the Tone
kids nowadays... games, safety
Carmina Burana
smiley - tea

And now the samovar has been refreshed, the IIEM is polished, the ashtrays are clean, the antimacassars straightened, the tables are dusted, the upholstery hoovered and the hearthfire freshened. The salon is once again ready for our habitation: please make yourselves at home.

Post 2

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

[mags]

Post 3

Vip

[smiley - fairy]

Post 4

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - run

Post 5

Witty Moniker

[WM]

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

Bel

smiley - run

Post 7

CountSpracula

*Puts v/_\3 on*

<BB<

Post 8

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - spacesmiley - cool
[-B4-]

Post 9

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

*Screeches to a halt and then goes back to read the scribing*

minismiley - mouse

Post 10

Was in a rush to FTTF and I made it smiley - boing

I didn't want to cause alarm earlier, so didn't mention that Teh Balk Kitteh was hiding somewhere. We *knew* he was in the house, just not quite *where* he was. I woke up this morning to find him on my son's sill, so far, so froody. He then disappeared. Thank the goddess for Tifa being an obstinate smiley - bunny, he'd only hidden behind a bookcase and got stuck . Anyhoo, he's still safe, still well. Will take some photos when he's a bit more settled.

Post 11

smiley - biggrin
YES!
Yes, Oh yes, yes, yes!
I nailed the first thread for a change. YEEE-HAAA!
smiley - erm
Um... Over-exuberant? Yeah, I guess so. But this is such a rarity for me, so pardon me if I celebrate a little.
smiley - discosmiley - divasmiley - disco
B4thethrillwearsoff&icome2gripswiththefactthisisprobablya1offsituationnotlikely2berepeated

Post 12

aka Bel - A87832164

*Back from reading the scribing*

Laughed out loud at "Mrs. Zen Lowers the Tone". smiley - laugh

Post 13

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*Matina brings magwitch an irish coffee in a FTTF mug*

Post 14

Thank you, Matina.

*sips smiley - coffee*

Very pleasent.

Post 15

Bum! rearrange some vowels in that last sentence please. smiley - blush

Post 16

smiley - bigeyes
...and then I realized: I was on First LED for the ~last~ Convo!
What?
smiley - huh
Two-in-a-row!?
Unheard of!
Methinks the man is returning to the Atelier with more regularity. {More ruffage in my diet has helped, as well.} While I'm in such a good mood, I'll just settle in and wait for the rest of the Salonistas.
smiley - zen
Matina, could I please have a tall cool glass of sweet tea? Thank you, dearie.
[He settles back on the couch and makes himself comfy. He nods his thanks once again when the serving bot arrives with his drink, and gives a wide smile of approval upon the first sip.]
smiley - biggrin
Just like back home. Ooh, this is good...
smiley - cheers
B4thepartyreallygetscranking&ihave2scramble2keepupwiththecomings&goingsofallour(ir)regulars

Post 17

Phil

Found where you'd all gone. I thought it was quiet back there smiley - smiley

Post 18

smiley - ok
[B4 hands Mags a couple of letters "A".]
You don't have to use both right now. Save one for later if you need it. Or, you could do a total rewrite of the line, to read: "Vary pleasant." Whatever that would mean...
smiley - laugh
B4ihogupallthereamaining1stLEDspaces

Post 19

Phil

Excellent summary once again Lil smiley - smiley

Matina, do you have some of those pastries that everyone remembers, just not how to pronounce their names, let alone how to spell them.

I hadn't realised that we were almost onto 100xth. What a long strange trip this journey is.

Post 20

Beatrice

smiley - run

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more