A Conversation for Community Choice

SETI group for h2g2

Post 1

bludragon, aka the Dragon Queen of Damogran

h2g2 has an 'Official' SETI researchers group. The SETI@home program is a program for people to join in and volunteer computer time to help process the date from the Search For Extraterrestrial Intelligence project.

There are several Guide articles on SETI, but a very wise researcher has actually set up a group for h2g2 members to join a group and pool their SETI efforts. The group is called 'h2g2 Researchers' and may be found at the SETI site at
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=h2g2+Researchers

There are four of us right now, and room for lots more researchers to join.

The h2g2 article about the group is at http://www.h2g2.com/A148835

SETI group for h2g2

Post 2

oops, that's 'process the DATA' not process the DATE

sorry for typo

smiley - smiley

SETI group for h2g2

Post 3

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

Another article is available, based on the one mentioned by bluDragon, but with a little more detail and (I hope) a bit more readable. http://www.h2g2.com/A193231

(I admit: it's my own work...)

SETI group for h2g2

Post 4

Sleezy

I just downloaded the SETI program and joined the h2g2 group. What a geat idea! I heard about the SETI program before but then sort of lost track of it so it was good to find the links here. Keep believing.

SETI group for h2g2

Post 5

Danisbackfromlunch

We're all just one big happy family! smiley - smiley

SETI group for h2g2

Post 6

The Mummy, administrator of the SETI@home Project (A193231) and The Reluctant Dead on the FFFF (A254314)

To sleezy: I thought some people might like to see it stirred up again smiley - smiley Welcome to the club!

To danielt: Yes we are, aren't we? smiley - bigeyes

SETI group for h2g2

Post 7

Peta

Great idea - I know Douglas is running the programme on some of his machines. I will join in on this one too.

SETI group for h2g2

Post 8

Kewl! The more, the merrier! And if we can get enough people to advertise this team-up, the h2g2-team might grow quite fast too.
I expect there's a high %-age of SETI-users here.

SETI group for h2g2

Post 9

Jimi X

I've been a member for a while and have a link to SETI from my user page http://www.h2g2.com/U53353.
But I'll switch over and join the h2g2 group...

SETI group for h2g2

Post 10

smiley - smiley Fessie happy smiley - bigeyes

SETI group for h2g2

Post 11

Peta

I had 86 hours that I built up at my previous job. I have just gone over and contributed them to the group.

I see that Douglas Adams has 3545 hr 52 min 08.9 sec which is more units than 97.937% of Seti users. So he is doing quite well!

Okay I can see the question coming on. smiley - winkeye

I will ask. But no promises.

SETI group for h2g2

Post 12

Danisbackfromlunch

Yes, if we all begged, how could he say no!

SETI group for h2g2

Post 13

Oh Peta, tell him we would be overjoyed... it would be an honour to have the "spiritual father" of the guide leading the gang smiley - winkeye))

SETI group for h2g2

Post 14

Yes, and please tell him that we pledge NOT to ask inane questions about characters in the Guide, or where he got the idea for the Guide, or about his [lack of] religious beliefs. And we especially promise NOT to mention ANY numbers between 39 and 50.

We also pledge to remember that we are searching for 'intelligent'
life.

Well, at least I promise to.
We researchers seem to be a pretty independent lot...
smiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fish

blu
}:=8

Try the Drake Equation!

Post 15

Danisbackfromlunch

Try this out if you are a fan of SETI smiley - smiley
http://www.h2g2.com/A193529

SETI group for h2g2

Post 16

WMPFL! smiley - smiley

Try the Drake Equation!

Post 17

It could benefit from some tuning up, but it looks very promising indeed!

SETI group for h2g2

Post 18

Right now I'm going to mention THE number between 39 and 50, I'm afraid!
Currently it's almost 6 PM over here. Within two hours, a couple of friends are coming to pick me up, and I've still got some things to do. Therefor I fear I must be gone now, and won't return before 42 (YEAH FORTYTWO!) hours have passed. Then it will be saturday 12 PM here, or maybe a bit later. Please take care of my heritage (the new SETI@home group-effort), and make sure you're all well and safe when I return. Hugs for all, and XXX for bluDragon.

Try the Drake Equation!

Post 19

Sporkulious Eglon

There! Doing my part to help...

Arecibo? Isn't that in Arizona? Where Contact was filmed?

Try the Drake Equation!

Post 20

Danisbackfromlunch

The largest radio telescope in the world and the one used for the Berkeley SETI search is the Arecibo Radio Telescope, in northwestern Puerto Rico, near the town of Arecibo. The telescope has a fixed dish 305 meters (1000 feet) across that is built into a sinkhole in rugged Karst terrain. To imagine how big this dish is, it would take 10 billion normal bowls of cereal to fill the radio dish to the brim! Still hard to imagine? The large surface of this dish is over 20 acres with about 18 acres or 26 football fields of available aperture!

That should clear that up! smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more