A Conversation for h2g2 Announcements

Thursday 19 April, 2012: Announcing Pliny

Post 201

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

smiley - smileycheers Tav

Post 202

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

>>
Given that AdSense uses your search history to determine what adverts so show (it knows you're in Auckland for example), Bel might want to have a quick word with her sons...
<<

smiley - laugh I can categorically tell you I haven't been searching for anything to do with fat bellies and weight loss though. And I am far from Auckland smiley - winkeye (never mind, NZ is so small it wouldn't matter).

Post 203

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Tav, I haven't had a good look yet, but I did notice in passing that the ratio of text to space width is better than barlesque. Don't know if that's changed at Pliny's end (I have a new laptop, and my screen resolution is different too), but glad it's a better fit.

Post 204

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

smiley - smiley thanks kea, yes, that has changed, I think it's a lot better to read now, we have also made the text size in the reply window and the Entry editor a whole lot smaller and 'nromal'.

Post 205

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

With all this making the text smaller, do you young whippersnappers ever consider that some humans have visual problems ---at a certain point even putting the View page size at its largest on the browser makes it impossible to read?

Post 206

Sorry Elektra, but the text was so big that it was impossible to read. In the reply window it was about the size and proportions of the thread title you see above every post.. no, in fact it was even bigger. Now it has the same size as in brunel and alabaster I think.

Post 207

Ok I never got to that page as I thought we weren't to edit in Pliny at the moment. But even in generalized Pliny I have to up my textsize to larger, which is annoying and cannot be blamed on 2legs.

Post 208

Which skin do you normally use and do you have problems with reading it/do you increase the text size as you do now with Pliny?

Post 209

Text size looks good to me - I have to have my browser defaults enlarged, and often the throws out h2g2 alabaster sizes (I often have to resize the text box page manually).

However, some of the clickable link boxes aren't looking quite right - 'post message' reads 'post messag', because the text is too large for the box. That happened a bit with the bbc too.

Post 210

eg 'advanced search' is sitting behind the 'my space' clickable box. I can reach it, just.

Post 211

Gnomon - time to move on

Which browser and version are you using, kea?

We know that Pliny doesn't work with the outdated Internet Explorer 6, and we're not going to fix it because IE 6 is being retired by Microsoft at the moment.

Post 212

Firefox (mac) 8.0.1

The default font is Times set at 22.

Post 213

Baron Grim

Just in case some folks haven't discovered this yet, in most browsers if you want to change the text size "on the fly" you can hold the [Ctrl] key and press the [+] & [-] keys.

This comes in handy when you visit web pages with oddly sized text.

Post 214

Tav I use IE-8 as a browser. Thanks for the tip Baron Grim.

Post 215

Could you please report any bugs or requests for enhancements here? A87753135

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more