A Conversation for A Welcome and Thank You Message from Douglas Adams

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 41

Jecht Shot

I am sure that many people already know the question: What do you get if you multiply 6 by 7. So long DNA. Thanks.

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 42

Schrödinger's Cat-flap

I have the same lament as several people in this conversation: I didn't find this site until AFTER Douglas Adams died.
It took me a long time to forgive myself for that.
smiley - wah
I agree about the movie though. The last thing it needs it disneyfication.
Well, to say what everyone else has said:
So long and thanks for all the smiley - fish
~smiley - cat

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 43

Slartibartfast (patron Saint of fjords and slave to mice)

Like many of the tributes I've read netwide over the last few months,
I also regret not ever meeting the man,myth,and legend known as DNA.
Also, like many, I know that his words changed my perspective of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
I do, however, remember being mildly perturbed that 'Mostly Harmless'
seemed to me to be a neat little wrap-up of the 'trilogy' and no more would be forthcoming. It's easy to think that way in this day and age, especially if you grew up during the "Me" decade ('80s).
It wasn't until I saw a biopic on the Discovery Channel (I'm a Canucklehead), a couple of years after the release of 'MH' that things came together. All I can remember is that Douglas had his son (who was 3 years old at the time)on his lap whilst in front of the computer and teaching him how to bring up pictures of dinosaurs on the Internet. I suddenly felt ashamed that I had been angry that I could no longer feed off his imagination. I realized that he was by far on his biggest project, that of rearing a child in an intelligent way when so many parents do not do so.
Needless to say, my respect for him blossomed zillionfolds and to this day I always use a Hitchhiker's quote daily, if only to satisfy myself. The Guide will always be a big part of my life,and even if it's only re-read on an annual basis, I know it's there for comfort.
As far as this conversation strand goes, I honestly believe that there is good in the world. No director would touch this unless it were a labour of love, and I highly doubt it can be Disneyfied. Just like the Marvel Comics movies such as Spiderman and X-Men,and also others such as Lord of the Rings (even with the sacrilege of leaving out Tom Bombadil), I believe that studios are catching on. The re-re-re-re-repeat business of die-hard fans of things that are displayed well and as close to storylines already known and loved, are as good as gold. Hey, that might not be your version of 'good' in this world, but let me tell you that somewhere in this crazy Universe....
My only regret is that this posting is exactly one posting too late...I'd have loved to discover this 4 weeks earlier and write my rant then to get the coveted number...
Now it's time to pick a screen name, because I'm sure with what little I've seen so far that I'll be glad to spend plenty of time contributing to the Guide. A few of you have said it before, but I'll reiterate anyways: Trust me... the greatest tribute you can pay to his memory is to be part of an actual Guide, even if it's only for one planet. You only have to read his books many times to be able to say that instinctively.
I wonder, since I'm 210890, if anyone had the foresight to pick Slartibartfast (patron saint of fjords and slave to mice)..I'm sure that it's taken, but I'll try anyways smiley - smiley Maybe I'll add a 42...

Cheers to all earthbound people with imagination and love for life!
StokeyBarmichael
[email protected]

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 44

Trazeus

I stumbled onto the Douglas Adams work in the early 80's when National Public Radio aired the HHGTTG radio play. Ever since then I've been laughing, crying and thinking.

kochanski asked early on what we could do as a fitting tribute to DNA. We're doing it. Writing our thoughts and observations here. This is his gift to the world, his child. It's up to us now to help it grow and to encourage new generations to carry on the work that he started with such humor.

So Long, Douglas.... and Thanks...

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 45

Slarti-Babs (his younger prettier sister)

I'm gutted..........

I can't believe how upset I am to be here, reading how gutted everyone else is, knowing that it's all been said.
Realising well and truly that I will never get round to the note thanking him, that I've been meaning to write for years, and that the grief is still fresh.
Dammit, he was one hell of a guy wasn't he?

Did Branwell Bronte REALLY die leaning against the mantlepiece?

Thanks Doug

Barbra.

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 46

Maus Merryjest

I found this site today, nearly a month away from Douglas' passing on. I had bought the DVD release of the HGTTG and , after thoroughly enjoying the 6 episodes (with what they could do with the limited tech back in that time. Magnificent), and then I insterted the second CD to watch the biopics, outtakes, etc... and then H2G2 was mentioned at one point where Douglas is discussing his deep love for technology and his desire to create a living Guide- and the URL flashed before my eyes. I paused the DVD and surfed all the way here-- and stayed.

Yes, what better way to honor the man that gave us so much than to contribute to his project?

smiley - ale to you, Douglas. Three pints in your memory!

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 47

Researcher 227554

I felt infinately sad about the death of DNA, and i've only just discovered this site. Everything DNA gave us I appreciate greatly and it makes me sad to think that I've dicovered a way of saying thanks too late. Lates better than never, i suppose so...
so long and thanks for all the fish from the smallest to the biggest.

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 48

Recumbentman

smiley - rose for DNA.

I've just read through this thread and am about to look out for the tapes of Douglas Adams reading the trilogy. Hope they're commercially available.

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 49

Recumbentman

Well (ten minutes later) amazon.com say:

Douglas Adams [audio cassette set containing the four HHG2G books]
[read by] Douglas Adams
Average Customer Review: smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star
Out of stock

Rats! Can anyone help?

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 50

Recumbentman

Another 20 minutes and -- Bingo!

Got the lot (separately) at New Millennium Audio & Press --
http://www.adarastore.com/cgi-bin/kiana/author_douglasadams.html
smiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fishsmiley - fish

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 51

lolihop

Unlickily, I only discovered DNAs books post-humously. Throughout reading them, I was constantly touched by the fact that this funny, funny man was gone. That is why, I think, 'The Salmon of Doubt' seemed very appropriate, in my opinion anyway. It was like the closing I needed after opening a vault of goodies. Douglas has touched upon my life briefly but memorably, and I will always, always go back to HHGG whenever I feel down. So long Douglas, thanks for all the fish. I suppose some of us will see you soon at that restaurant at the end of the universe. Or we can only hope.

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 52

Rissa of the ShoeShine, Protector of Boots Everywhere - Thingite, Zaphodista, NH Player, Geek

Why am I a Thingite?

My friends asked me.

My parents asked me.

Even my dog looked at me oddly.

I've been thinking about it.

I didn't have the answer.

I was a fool. There's only one place for answers.

Douglas Noel Adams.

When H2G2 was born, Adamasu-sama (sorry, lapsing into Japanese there) told us "we have the first snowflake - now let's build a blizzard."

If the "No no no!!" thread is not that blizzard, I will personally eat my towel.

And IMHO, he would have approved of Monsmiley - bleep being called Sodit. Is it my memory acting up, or is there a whole book dedicated to 'The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul' which sets in on Dontbry afternoons? Douglas Adams was the original Thingite. We are his legacy.

Let's give 'em hell.

Or - on second thoughts -

let's give 'em Thing.

In the words of a Japanese legend...

"FOR HIM!"

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 53

SilentShinobi

I suppose I got to the party a bit after Trillian and Zaphod left, too. I didn't start reading the books until after DNA's death. But anywho, in mourning I must say, Mr. Adams, wherever you are, So long, and thanks for all the fish.
smiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - wahsmiley - wah

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 54

bjaockx

I can't begin to think of what I or anyone could say to express our appreciation for all of DNA's work while he was with us in this world. All I can say is one deep felt and truly meaningful thankyou.smiley - ok

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 55

Nunarssuaq

What saddens me a lot about the death of Douglas Adams, is that I found out about him and his books a few years after he died. Like every other book I have come to love, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was way before my time, I'm now 14. I would like to give the best compliment I can to Douglas Adams, and it's this: Before I read The Hitchhikers Guide, J.R.R. Tolkein was my favourite author of all time. Notice I said "was". In my book, that is really saying something.

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 56

AeronLaffere

I always knew about adams, but I oculd never find his books. When he died I gave up, and then, when I was walking through the libary, I spotted all five books and the salmon of doubt. I just finished reading the salmon' and all I can say is..so long and thanks for bringing the guide into the real world.

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 57

southsidebilly

LIKE DNA'S BOOKS, THIS SITE IS SOMETHING I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS LOOKING FOR UNTIL I FOUND IT. THANKFULLY I FOUND THE BOOKS NEARLY 30 YEARS AGO AND HAVE WORN OUT A FEW COPIES SINCE THROUGH CONSTANTLY RETURNING TO THEM. I THINK THE BEST TRIBUTE TO THE MAN HIMSELF WOULD BE: A - THIS SITE CONTINUES TO GROW AND GROW, AND B - EVERYONE ON THE PLANET READS LAST CHANCE TO SEE, WHICH IS EITHER THE SADDEST FUNNY BOOK OR THE FUNNIEST SAD BOOK I'VE EVER READ. A STRANGER TRIBUTE IS THE REWRITING OF DNA'S LINE ABOUT DEADLINES (I LOVE DEADLINES, I LOVE THE WHOOSHING NOISE THEY MAKE AS THEY GO BY) FOR JOHNNY DEPP IN PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 2. THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT STILL SEEM STRANGE THAT HE'S GONE, YOU READ SOMETHING OR WATCH SOMETHING AND AT RANDOM SOME SPECK OF HIS IMAGINATION LEAPS OUT AT YOU. I SUPPOSE WHILE THERES IMAGINATION, HE'LL ALWAYS BE WITH US

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 58

Recumbentman

Amen.

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 59

London_Dreamer

It was for me an astonishing surprisesmiley - smiley find something like the h2g2, because I love the idea of share my little knowledge of my little personal world to everyone, and I hope that with my discrete contribution and the contribution of all the whole world we can make a better universe for everyone, this is my first entry, but I swear it will not be the last one, I hope that my vow will be a good tribute for the idea of how Douglas Adams wanted the universe to be.smiley - hug

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 60

Xarin Sliron currently into cheesecake

smiley - wah I only found out about him recently but ive read most of his books I didn't know about him until after he died but I still miss himsmiley - sadfacesmiley - wah

Key: Complain about this post