A Conversation for Topic of the Week: David Bowie

Collaborations

Post 1

A Super Furry Animal

Well, of course he worked with one of the greatest rock bands ever...Queen! Resulting in the song Under Pressure.

Erm, that's about it, really. I like some of his stuff.

RFsmiley - evilgrin

Collaborations

Post 2

Bud_White

Of course, his Berlin trilogy with Eno resulted in some ground-breaking and influential stuff, and what a lot of people is his best stuff. And I think it did result in the best 3 albums in a row of his career.

However, for me Ziggy Stardust is the finest album ever, and Hunky Dory is not far behind. And while this is only 2 great albums ('only'smiley - smiley), so not quite the sustained quality of the Berlin trilogy, for me it is so good that Ronson was the man who brought out the best in Bowie.

Collaborations

Post 3

Natalie

...and don't forget Lulu's 'Man Who Sold the World' of course! That's not quite as weird as 'Little Drummer Boy (Peace on Earth)' with Bing Crosby of course.

I've also just remembered John Lennon ('Fame') and 'Whatever Gets You Through the Night' (Elton John).

Aww I love him, I really do.

And I'm with you on best album, Bud... (well today anyway) 'Five Years' - what a track!

Collaborations

Post 4

Bud_White

Yeah, Five Years is a great track. My personal favourite off the album is Lady Stardust though. That followed by Star and Hang On To Yourself are, in my opinion, the finest 3 tracks in a row on any album ever.

Though my favourite Bowie track full stop (and my favourite track by anyone incidentally) is Life on Mars - finest lyrics ever.

Collaborations

Post 5

Aslan_28

There's also the song that makes me laugh that he did with Nine Inch Nails, 'I'm afraid of Americans.' Really funny lyrics.

Funny because they are true.

Bowie is great. I also recommend watching the movie Velvet Goldmine, which is a early biographical account of his crazy life.

Aslan

Collaborations

Post 6

Schrödinger's Cat-flap

Velvet Goldmine is a fantastic movie, though it's not all accurate and it's not exclusively based on Bowie- there's quite a few Roxy Music references that some people miss. It's really cleverly done, and the music is great, despite the lack of any Bowie tracks. The bit that made me laugh the most, however, was at the end of the credits when it says "this is a work of fiction any similarity between the characters and real people is entirely coincidental." Absolutely.
(Incidentally, for anyone who's seen it and knows how much is true- how much of the Brian Slade/Curt Wild love story corresponds to what really happened? My knowledge of that aspect of his life is extremely sketchy. Everything I know about him I learned in the last three years...)

The stuff with Mick Ronson on guitar was the best, in my opinion. The rock n' roll sound of the songs is fantastic. My latest piece of Bowie-induced insanity was- after watching some early videos of the Spiders playing together- to make myself a pair of denim and pink velvet flares and cut myself a fringe like Ronson's. Obsessed. Yeah.

Collaborations

Post 7

Schrödinger's Cat-flap

Oh, and of course, Bowie produced Lou Reed's 'Transformer', which includes such brilliant songs as 'Walk on the wild side' and 'Perfect Day' (which I am painstakingly trying to figure out the piano music for, note for note...)

Collaborations

Post 8

Natalie

...and of course Mott the Hoople!

I must say, I do prefer their version of 'All The Young Dudes' which I think it one of the greatest singles of all time!

Collaborations

Post 9

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Anyone care to elaborate on his production work with Iggy Pop? I do know that Iggy has pretty much said he wouldn't still be here if it weren't for DB.

Collaborations

Post 10

claudsj

The Mott the Hoople version of "All the Young Dudes" is ACE, especially with the lovely Bowie backing vocals.

There's a version of Bowie himself singing it on "David Live" and it's really disappointing coz he bottles the high note on "Dudes", and it changes the whole feel of the song for me.

Collaborations

Post 11

Natalie

Ah well clauds you'd never guess in a million years of course but I love that song more than mere words can express!

I do like Bowie's version of it (with the sleazy-sounding saxophone) but don't think it's nearly as good. 'Marks and Sparks' just conjures up far superior images to 'unlocked cars' - and Hunter's 'Hey you there...with the glasses...I want you' just makes the whole thing!

Collaborations

Post 12

Simon Roberts

Funnily enough I became aware of Bowie through his collaboration with Queen. These days just as big a Bowie fan as I am Queen fan.
Why has no one mentioned the Laughing Gnome surely one of his best collaborations, didn't hear much after about the gnome though (it probably had a small part in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy) perhaps it retired to a "Nursing Gnome"!

Collaborations

Post 13

WattDabney

Lou Reed's Transformer: Despite Lester Bangs protestations this is a great great record that would have been radically different without Bowie and Ronsons involvement.
Iggy Pop/The Stooges: The story behind Bowie producing Raw Power is kind of interesting but the sleave notes to the 90s Iggy supervised remix says it all. The day I got it I also got The boy with the arab strap by Belle and Sebastian and you would find it hard to find two more differing records in term of mood. I rarely listen to Raw Power as it makes me want to trash the room...in a good way!
Mott the Hoople: All the Young Dudes is a great song.
Queen & Under Pressure: Poor song that Bowie thought was pretty much rush released at the demo stage. He must like it though as they played it recently on tour. Never liked it myself.
Placebo: Awful band. Bowie produced a single of theirs I think.
Pet Shop Boys - Hallo Spaceboy: Pretty good.

Collaborations

Post 14

WattDabney

Iggy Pops 70s solo Albums The Idiot and Lust for Life are fantastic. If you like Bowies 70s stuff and you haven't heard these then rush out and buy them. The Idiot has many echoes in Bowies albums of the time with songs like Sister Midnight featuring on Bowies album Lodger with different words as Red Money.

While credit on Lust for Life should be shared with the rythmn section of Ricky Gardner (who came up with he riff for the Passenger) and the Sales brothers (for their clattering accompaniment) despite the unmistakable background vocals to me it is the least Bowie souding of the two. Still one of my favourite albums ever though. Passionate, raucus, full of humour and optimism. A real ray of sunshine after the Idiots darker industrial tones. Some of the sound textures are similar though to tracks on Low such as Be My Wife and Sound and Vision. And the cover is great with Iggy beaming from ear to ear.

Key: Complain about this post