A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What did you learn today? (TIL)

Post 101

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I hope the smiley - doctorsmiley - doctor and smiley - nursesmiley - nurse have given you some good pain meds. smiley - bruised

Post 102

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

I hope you will recover quickly

Post 103

The "What did you forget today?" thread would be short -- just one response: "I cant remember."

smiley - winkeye

Post 104

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Assuming anyone remembers to post there. smiley - winkeye

smiley - pirate

Post 105

Caiman raptor elk - Inside big box, thinking.

Alternatively there could be a thread "What do you need to remember?" so that you can look up what it was. Or "What do you want to forget?" although that might lead to a smaller chance of forgetting it.

Post 106

If I posted something in a "What do you want to forget?" thread, I'd be reluctant to check back in lest I be rmeinded of what I want to forget. smiley - flustered

Post 107

ITIWBS

I learned today I'm very inhibited about remembering things I want to forget.

Can't remember a single one.

Post 108

Baron Grim

Ah, crap....

I just remembered something I wanted to forget...

I just lost The Game. smiley - facepalm

Post 109

ITIWBS

I'd even forgotten that, but now I'm reminded.

Post 110

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GmgvqO4MkY

smiley - evilgrin

smiley - run

Post 111

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

http://xkcd.com/391/

smiley - pirate

Post 112

Baron Grim

When some Oxford students heard that Rudyard Kipling, author of "The Jungle Book" earned 10 shillings per word, they sent him 10 shillings and asked for one of his very best words. Kipling replied with one word:

THANKS

Post 113

"Do you like Kipling?"

"I don't know. I've never kipled.

Post 114

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I have been known to Kiple - but only ever in private.

Today, I learned that I appreciate a brush-cut to the hair at nearly 59 more than I did from ages 3 to 14 or so . . .

Post 115

ITIWBS

smiley - smileyTakes me back, the fight I used to put up to avoid a haircut or bath in my early years.

Reminds me of cat being given its first bath.smiley - biggrin

Post 116

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

( The village blacksmith was also the barber, so you can guess why his speciality was the brush-cut. Skill and finesse levels needed, etc. And it cost a whole dime ! ) )

Post 117

Baron Grim

How to bathe a cat:

1) First …. dress for the occasion. A 4-ply rubber wet suit is suggested, along with a helmet, face mask and welders gloves.

2) A Bathtub with a glass enclosure is preferred to the one with a shower curtain. A frenzied cat can shred one of these in about 3.5 seconds.

3) Have the Kitty Bubbles and towel in the enclosed bathtub area beforehand. No… blow drying the cat after the bath is not suggested.

4) Draw the water, making it a little warmer than needed as you still need to find the cat. Position everything strategically in the shower, so you can reach it even if you are face down or prone in the tub.

5) Find your cat. Use the element of surprise. Pick the cat up, nonchalantly as if you were simply carrying him/her to the supper dish. No need to worry about the cat noticing your strange attire, the cat barely notices you anyway.

6) Once you and the cat are inside the bathroom speed is essential. In one single liquid motion shut the door to the bathroom, step into the shower, close the sliding doors, and drop the cat into the water. While the cat is still in a state of shock locate the Kitty Bubbles and squirt whatever part of him is above the water line. You have just begun the wildest 45 seconds of your life. Remember that cats have no handles and add the fact that he now has soapy fur. His state of shock has worn off and he’s madder than hell.

7) As best, you can, wearing welder’s gloves, try to field his body as he
catapults through the air toward the ceiling. If possible, give another
squirt of Kitty Bubbles with his body now fully exposed.

During the 5 seconds you are able to hold onto him, rub vigorously. No need to worry about rinsing. As he slides down the glass enclosure into the tub, he will fall back into the water, rinsing himself in the process.

9) Only attempt the lather and rinse process about 3 times. The cat will
realize the lack of traction on the glass by then and will use the next
attempt on the first available part of you.

10) Next, the cat must be dried. No, this is NOT the easiest part. By this stage, you are worn out and the cat has just become semi-permanently affixed to your right leg. We suggest here that you drain the tub and in full view of your cat, reach for the bottle of Kitty Bubbles.

11) If you have done step 10 correctly, the cat will be off your leg and
hanging precariously from your helmet. Although this view of the cat is most disgusting, he will be in a much better position for wrapping the towel around him.

12) Be sure cat is firmly wrapped in towel before opening tub enclosure.
Open bathroom door …. put towel-wrapped cat on floor and step back
quickly. Into tub, if possible, and do not open enclosure until all you can
see is the shredded towel.

13) In about 2 hours …. it will be safe to exit the bathroom. Your cat
will be sitting out there somewhere looking like a small hedgehog while
plotting revenge. But doesn’t he smell better?????

Post 118

bobstafford

Well put smiley - laugh but what is the advice foe a multi cat household

Post 119

Icy North

Today I learned that the Chinese cabbage pak choi (Bok choi) is the same species as the turnip, Brassica rapa. It’s a cultivated subspecies.

And this means that it’s perfectly legitimate to serve pak choi at a Burns Night supper.

Post 120

ITIWBS

The 'Vulcan nerve pinch' was performed on the "Sea Hunt" episode "Nerve Gas" in which Leonard Nimoy appeared in a supporting role.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more