Post 1

KB

Why does salt sting a wound?

And why does it sting a slug?

Why does salt sting?

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Are there billions of tiny bees in it? smiley - tongueout

Seriously, salt contains sodium and chlorine. Chlorine makes my eyes sting. I know this from my experience in swimming pools.

I'm afraid that I'm answering one question by posing another one, e.g. why does chlorine sting? Sorry

Why does salt sting?

Post 3

Baron Grim

The question about slugs is the easier of the two. Salt kills slugs simply by dehydrating them. Slugs use osmosis to bring in water into their bodies. Salt reverses the osmosis and leaches (pun intended) the water out of their bodies.

The question about why salt stings wounds is less clear. I'll just leave this link to a Reddit /askscience discussion.

http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/j5akk/why_does_table_salt_applied_to_a_wound_cause_pain/

Why does salt sting?

Post 4

KB

I know about the dehydration thing. But salt does seem to make slugs hurt and recoil in a way that other desiccants don't. Talcum and sawdust, for example. I thought there might be a chemical reason.

Why does salt sting?

Post 5

Baron Grim

Well, that might be related to the reasons discussed for the wound question, that it makes the tissues hypertonic (full of electrolytes) and reacts with pain receptors in a similar way to capsaicin.

Why does salt sting?

Post 6

Baron Grim

I do know the answer to an unrelated salt question, why salt makes beer and soda water foam up.

Salt crystals have "perfect cubic cleavage" with 8 sharp corners on the cubic crystals. rough surfaces and sharp points create "nodes of nucleation", points where the carbon dioxide molecules can release from solution and return to gaseous form. It's not a chemical reaction, it's physical. If you dropped a bit of sponge or scouring pad into the beer or soda it would have a similar reaction.

Why does salt sting?

Post 7

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

why on earth would anyone want to put a scourer or a sponge into beer.... smiley - erm soem people... such a waste... smiley - alesmiley - erm My moneys on teh bees hidding in the salt.... smiley - zensmiley - scientist

Why does salt sting?

Post 8

Wouldn't you know, the silliest thing I could think of to say ended up being taken seriously. smiley - online2long

Why does salt sting?

Post 9

Bluebottle

I'm still wondering who talcum powders slugs - presumably that is the finest, perfumed variety?

<BB<

Why does salt sting?

Post 10

Baron Grim

Wait... Also, do we actually know that slugs don't recoil at talcum and sawdust?

Why does salt sting?

Post 11

Bluebottle

What we need is somewhere where you can find talcum powder, sawdust and slugs all in the same place. Any ideas?smiley - huh

<BB<

Why does salt sting?

Post 12

Baron Grim

Wherever you find slugs, you can bring the talcum powder and sawdust to them. Or bring all three together in a lab.

I'm reminded of our local Texas Horned Toad Lizards, which when frightened or startled can squirt blood from their eye sockets. I've seen it stated about the horned lizard "if it is sufficiently frightened it can squirt up 1/3 of its volume of blood out of a pore near the eye (Middendorf and Sherbrooke 1992)."

Apparently these guys Middendorf and Sherbrooke must have taken a few of our cute little "horny toads" and scared teh bejeezus out of them in increasing stages of scariness.

http://youtu.be/pI5t_VmHWWI

Why does salt sting?

Post 13

I have a sunflower in my back yard.The other day I saw a big slug on it, but I threw the slug away. I might not be able to find it again, nor do I have sawdust and/or talcum powder. smiley - blush

Why does salt sting?

Post 14

Bluebottle

Why is it that everywhere you'd expect to see a vast quantities of sawdust, ie places that do flat-packed furniture, such as Ikea, or DIY supplies, such as B&Q, are surprisingly spotless, but there's always somewhere nearby that sells hotdogs? Are the smiley - hotdog secretly made out of sawdust, and if so, can we see how the slugs react to them?

<BB<

Why does salt sting?

Post 15

I expect that any slugs here froze last night.

Why does salt sting?

Post 16

Baron Grim

Salt acts as an antifreeze.

Why does salt sting?

Post 17

I'll remember that when my driveway ices up this winter....

Why does salt sting?

Post 18

KB

Post 9 did actually give me the first full-on bellylaugh I've had for ages. smiley - laugh

Why does salt sting?

Post 19

Pink Paisley

I'm losing track of this discussion.

It's cold out. Do I need to go and rub slugs on my car windscreen?

PP.

Why does salt sting?

Post 20

bobstafford

You have to run them through a blender firstsmiley - run

Key: Complain about this post