A Conversation for Ask h2g2

A word for...

Post 1

You can call me TC

I just saw this book on offer on Amazon and the picture on the cover made me laugh, it's so corny. I wonder what the equivalent word for a modern-day "bodice-ripper" would be. Sorry, it's in German - it's probably a translation of an English language book. Would be interesting to see what the cover of the English version is.

http://www.amazon.de/Wie-gewaltiger-Sturm-Samantha-Towle-ebook/dp/B00NF0BLLO/ref=lp_7252977031_1_8?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1449125775&sr=1-8

I will NOT be buying this book, nor any other with a similar cover. Not even to read on the Kindle, where no one can see what you're reading.

Is there a word for this genre of book, or does it just go under "chick lit"?

A word for...

Post 2

Cheerful Dragon

TC, it does seem to be a translation of an English language book. The cover's the same on Amazon UK. The book's described as 'contemporary romance', which is enough to put me off regardless of the cover.

If you think that cover's bad, you should see some of the covers that appear on the Google+ Book Club community forum. Men with shirts open for no other reason than to display a rippling six-pack, women who are scantily clad for no reason at all. It sometimes feels as though book covers are designed to attract a certain readership. Unfortunately, some do judge a book by its cover, and I wouldn't be seen reading books that look like those no matter what the story was about or how well written it was.

A word for...

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

If you don't behave yourself in this life, you go to a place with eternal flames, where elderly people are required to stay naked, and young people fully clothed. smiley - devilsmiley - evilgrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more