A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Name Rank and Number

Post 1

Ancient Brit

Should specific information be presented in a researchers Personal Space ?
Would researchers be happy if some information was mandatory and what would be acceptable ?

Name Rank and Number

Post 2

KB

Other than username so you know whose space it is, I'd rather leave it entirely up to the individual what they want to include. I don't see any point in having name, location, gender, whatever else. If someone wants to tell all that it's up to them. smiley - ok

Any specific reason you ask?

Name Rank and Number

Post 3

Ancient Brit

Simply because the the language thread has generated quite a bit of interest.
The details can be searched for in any event, but there are occasions when if the info was readily available it would further contact and better understanding.
Anonymity smacks of secrecy. Transparency is called for in many respects.

Name Rank and Number

Post 4

Effers;England.

One of the joys of this place is that you can be totally creative with your ps. All you have is a name.

I couldn't stand Noesis as it was basically a form to fill in about yourself.

I don't see what the language thread has to with this subject.

You can't have transparancy AB..what are you on about? This isn't real life..People can be as creative with the truth as they want.

I prefer to trust people to say what they want or not. One of the joys of h2g2 you mostly don't get other places.

smiley - 2cents

Name Rank and Number

Post 5

Secretly Not Here Any More

Nothing wrong with anonymity.

Removed

Post 6

Ancient Brit

This post has been removed.

Name Rank and Number

Post 7

Effers;England.

I find that a very unpleasant thing to say to someone..at least I find it so.on a thread predicated on the idea of transparancy and name rank and number.

I yikesed it telling them that. It's still there now though.

Who knows what does or does get disappeared with this new lot though.

It's not something I'd ever dream of saying to someone online.

Or in any situation.

Good luck with the rest of your thread though AB..and hug to yourself all that knowledge about me.

I know virtually nothing about you. I am more than content with my ignorance.

Name Rank and Number

Post 8

Maria

Ancient Brit, I also find your post 6 quite rude, even bulling, and without doubt, annoying.

Me neither can find the conection of this thread with the language thread.

smiley - erm

Name Rank and Number

Post 9

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

I'm definitely with Effers on this one, and I've said so before. On h2g2, we have two fields to fill in: a name, and a massive Personal Space. You can define yourself in terms of whatever's meaningful to you. If you think your age, your sex, your job description, your education, and your political viewpoint are important things to mention about yourself, you're free to do so. If, on the other hand, you'd prefer to define yourself in terms of your hair colour, your shoe size, and a description of the last tree you climbed, you're free to do that too. I love that.

Some people leave their PS blank. That's an option too.

TRiG.smiley - 2cents

Name Rank and Number

Post 10

U14993989

Perhaps the region where they were living and their native tongue.

Name Rank and Number

Post 11

anhaga

If we had been required to make visible anything more than a self-chosen online name back in 200? when I signed up, I wouldn't have signed up.

If we are suddenly *required* to `provide more, how do I delete my account?

smiley - cross

Name Rank and Number

Post 12

KB

Let's not jump the gun Anhaga, someone simply asked a question. smiley - smiley

Name Rank and Number

Post 13

anhaga

And I was providing my answer.smiley - smiley

Name Rank and Number

Post 14

KB

But it seemed like a slightly alarmed or alarmist response.

Name Rank and Number

Post 15

aka Bel - A87832164

I agree, KB. Would have looked different if it had read:

If we were suddenly *required* to `provide more, how would I delete my account?

Name Rank and Number

Post 16

Effers;England.

smiley - offtopic ish

I see post 6 has now been hidden.

Thanks mods. It really felt very intimidated by that remark...and disturbed.

I'm fairly upfront about where I live and open about that..because I feel safe here. But it's an incredibly sensitive subject, and I love it that h2g2 gives us so much freedom about that.

Nothing is required other than a 'name' and email.

I think that creates a good atmosphere from the start..and you can gradually be more open or not..and people will get to know you slowly like in real life through posts.

Name Rank and Number

Post 17

Effers;England.

Obviously email to h2g2 people..not publicly.

Name Rank and Number

Post 18

Ancient Brit

That is the connection to the language thread Stone Art.
I would have no objection whatsoever to anyone speaking to anyone else in their own tongue in their own space. Knowing their native tongue and country of origin I may well have reason to approach them.
For the record before I get involved with anyone on h2g2 I more often than not check them out. It often has some bearing upon how I respond.
I feel it is the ability to do this that makes h2g2 the society that it is and not just another chat line.
PS - Because one or two researchers seem to think that my notion is not a good one I should point out that Post #6 has nothing to do with me.

Name Rank and Number

Post 19

Effers;England.

> I should point out that Post #6 has nothing to do with me. < AB

It was your name attached.

>For the record before I get involved with anyone on h2g2 I more often than not check them out.< AB

How do you check them out?

Name Rank and Number

Post 20

anhaga

Sorry. I just wanted to make clear what a mistake I think imposed transparency would be.

Key: Complain about this post