A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Do you call a pound a bob? (UK centric)

Post 41

WanderingAlbatross - Wing-tipping down the rollers of life's ocean.

I carry an old plastic IOM pound note around in my wallet but we only issue £1 coins.

Post 42

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

About the advert...

I'm lovin it!!smiley - run

Post 43

Alfster

On a similar note of Americans not knowing British words...or a British script-writer being naughty is in an episode of 'Mork & Mindy' (nan-oo-nan-oo).

They had a horrible landlord in one episode called 'Mr w@nker'. Sitting watching it in about 1990 and 4.30pm on a weekday at Uni we all looked at each and said...did they say what I thought they said...yes they did...

Post 44

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

It was also the maiden name of Peggy Bundy in Married With Children. Her husband Al would dread thanksgiving when all the w@nkers would come to stay smiley - rofl

Post 45

Taff Agent of kaos

lets take McDonalds at their word

go into a Mccy Ds and order loads off the £1 saver menue and when they tell you how much it is, hand over 50p saying there you go thats a, ten bob bit!!!!!!!smiley - winkeye

smiley - bat

Post 46

Icy North

Not to mention Paul Hogan's stunt man, Leo W.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpmyw2ZDRfo

Post 47

Kymeraent

Never! Never! Never have I heard a single soul call a pound a bob! I've twittered about this myself.

As others have mentioned, a bob was originally a shilling (12p in old money, twenty shillings to the pound). After decimilisation, 5p was called a bob because, for a while afterwards, the old shilling was traded as a 5p piece. Ten bob was fifty pence.

Bloody americans (lower case, delberate)! Our colleague was correct when they said if we said "A dime, also known as a dollar", out collonial cousins would have the biggest hissy fit since our mental King George decided to make a few bob on tea leaves!

Post 48

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

The one thing to remember in all this is that we are British (other national options also exist).

Let us chortle over the crass error and the consequent digging of even deeper holes by the PR folk at McD's without ever falling into the trap of taking this seriously.

It's an advertising agency for a world wide American fast food chain and the public relations department of that company. That's three organisations that no sane sentient human can take seriously.

Post 49

Rod

Dear pebblederook,

While I agree with your sentiments regarding McD's, I would have you know that:

This is my language they're messing about with and it's not only them nor is it only recent and I want my U back.

Yours sincerely

RodthePedant

smiley - grrsmiley - puff

Post 50

pebblederook-The old guy wearing surfer beads- what does he think he looks like?

Ah now that is different Rod. The vanishing U is another matter. That is a concerted attack by an entire nation and not to be countenanced.

I am with U on that one.

Post 51

Queeglesproggit - Keeper of the evil Thingite Avon Lady Army and Mary Poppins's bag of darkness..

Only ever use it when I say something is "only a few bob", which to me means not a lot of money, nothing specific, but certainly not £3.

They mucked it up. We should all go and ask the McDonalds staff if we can have 20 burgers for £1 smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post