A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Advertising stupidity - now with added Title

Post 2521

Bright Blue Shorts

The "Ed Lewis" advert where he's emailing his daughter through her childhood from day of birth to current.

I guess technically the net has been in common usage enough for him to have done that the past 10 years ... but the technology/email all looks 2011, not 2001 onwards ...

Post 2522

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

I interpreted that as 2011-2021 (or whenever it is supposed to finish). The issue of the interface never changing in appearance did occur to me, though.

Post 2523

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

what is with the old spice adverts?

this is what your man could smell like if he used old spice

Really? because the only person I know who ever used old spice was my grandfather and I don't think he bought it for himself

Post 2524

Orcus

Not one from the broadcast media but I'm growing weekly more irritated by a large billboard at a roundabout near me in Cardiff announcing that this Sunday will be...

Splott* Meerkat**/Market...
/Car boot sale.

It's the originality of it which initally attracted me. I wonder what spark of genius must have thought that one up all by themselves. smiley - rolleyes

I'm thinking of seeing what a certain car insurance comparison websites' legal team think about this just out of spite as it annoys me so much.

* Yes, here we have a suburb called Splott!
**with the word Meerkat crossed out.

Post 2525

Xanatic

There´s a shop that sells martial arts stuff here, which have a clothing brand called "TapOut". Now as I understand it, tapping out in martial arts is a way of saying you give up. Who names their brand after that? That´s like having a brand of running shoes called "Slow".

Post 2526

Orcus

Well according to wikipedia it's also a mixed martial arts magazine and tv show so I guess it's pretty well linked in with its market. smiley - shrug

The Japanese sell a drink called Sweat after all smiley - winkeye

Post 2527

Orcus

There's an advert in the UK for First (choice) buses that has all the passengers and drivers jumping about and singing all the way to work and back whilst on their bus journey.

This is clearly disconnected from the reality of any bus journey I've ever been on.

Maybe this is a Hare Krishna bus services or perhaps you get free drugs when you climb aboard. smiley - winkeye

I know you have to give them a little license to portray themselves in a positive light. But - puhlease smiley - laugh

Post 2528

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

The only people that sing on the buses I get are drunk. Or teenagers confusing 'rebellion' with 'being annoying'.

Post 2529

Titania (gone for lunch)

Hmmm... here in Sweden, possibly (drunk) smiley - football supporters after 'their' team won. Otherwise, it's quite like a grave, which I find very restful in the morning.

Post 2530

Malabarista - now with added pony

I know a tour guide who starts singing when he runs out of things to say smiley - headhurts And he always tries to get a coachload of tired tourists to sing along, which never works.

Post 2531

Orcus

Oh that's possible but they're not a tourist coach service they're a residential bus service. smiley - rolleyes

Post 2532

Bright Blue Shorts

Just seen some bizarre Eurostar ad with men sticking their heads through an arena thinking about the opening ceremony for 2012 Olympics (or something). Absolute bizarre.

And what was about this ad? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz50_1Y2pXU ... anyone else find it creepy?

Post 2533

Dr Anthea - ah who needs to learn things... just google it!

that is a really odd car advert,
now whenever i see one of those I shall mentally shudder....

Post 2534

You can call me TC

Got the usual "Unfortunately, this UMG-music-content is not available in Germany because GEMA has not granted the respective music publishing rights. "

Post 2535

Just Bob aka Robert Thompson, plugging my film blog cinemainferno-blog.blogspot.co.uk

smiley - yikes Next time I sleep, I will see that creature in my nightmares...

Post 2536

Pit - ( Carpe Diem - Stay in Bed )

TC, even worse: the very German preemptive obeisance.
"...not available in Germany because it might (!) contain..."

Post 2537

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

oh my goodness, that ad is so bizzare.
What is the term for a visual version of earworm I wonder?
A mindworm perhaps?
That ad is a mindworm and I'm stuck with it now.
smiley - vampire

Post 2538

Cheerful Dragon

One ad I find stupid is the one currently running for Michelin tyres. Its premise is that Michelin tyres grip better in wet conditions. OK, fair enough, I can't comment on that. My gripe is that the Michelin man only throws two tyres at each car, both of which go on the near-side of the car. So, grippy tyres on one side, not grippy on the other. Those cars are going to do circles in the wet, if I'm not mistaken.

Post 2539

Titania (gone for lunch)

I'm surprised that nobody at either the advertising agency nor the Swedish Cancer Society had the intelligence to realise the results of a TV commercial...

The commercial is for a bank card that enables you to donate 10 SEK to the Cancer Society each time you make a purchase with it.

Picture this: smiling man at supermarket checkout buys an apple (that costs somewhere around 2-3 SEK) and pays with his card (and 10 SEK flutters off in the air), buys another apple, pays, another apple, pays... you get the idea. Both the man and the cashier look as if they are both blissfully happy with how 'generous' the man is.

I'm not surprised it got pulled (I only saw it once) - did they really think the supermarkets want their customers to act like that? Ending up paying for their customers' donations without making any profit? Idiots!

Post 2540

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

2005. I started this thread in 2005 and it's still going!

2005!

Crikey.

If I achieve nothing else in my life I have achieved this.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more