A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What questions are you expecting to see on ASK as a consequence of the influx of new researchers at the film release?

Post 41

Amy: ear-deep in novels, poetics, and historical documents.

"Old fogeys" are generally considered anyone with a 5-digit user number or a user number with 6 digits beginning with 1 (1XXXXX).

As for questions - probably ASL, will there be a book? smiley - headhurts, and where are the chat rooms? (seeing as newbies already ask the first and the last all the time).

What questions are you expecting to see on ASK as a consequence of the influx of new researchers at the film release?

Post 42

Baron Grim

smiley - dontpanichttp://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/dontpanic

Post 43

Runescribe

I don't think I count as an old fogey, but I have a definition of 'newbie' for you:

Anyone who thinks the purpose of Hootoo is to talk about Hitchhikers.

As opposed to the enlightened who know it is to research, discuss and write about anything and everything that springs to mind.

Post 44

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

<>

Like the guy who started the Trite Crap thread (wherever the Hell it is)?

Post 45

You can call me TC

F55683?thread=93045

A "Search Conversations" for "ginger biscuits" soon brought that up.

Post 46

Baron Grim

BRILLIANT! smiley - cheers

Going to read the backlog. smiley - run

Post 47

You can call me TC

And can anyone answer my question: just how much will this site be plugged in the publicity surrounding the film?

BTW - if you haven't seen it - you might like to subscribe to this forum (in fact I might even find the answer to my own question there)

A2642384

Post 48

Ged42

Reads the adventures Xolin....

Quite fascinating, i can see us seeing more like that, but i hope not.

It's weird seeing all these hootooers i never met, now long gone. I think Trillian's Child and Jwf were the only ones i recognised.

Post 49

chupito

Changeling,
I definitively like your definition of "newbie"
I guess I'm just somewhere in the middle

Post 50

Baron Grim

There did seem to be alot more passion here abouts back then.

Post 51

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

It's the impact on peer review that I'm worried about. I expect a lot more weak Hitchikers pastiche, plagarism, clearly unfinished work, and bizzare personal theories in peer review over the coming months.

But I also expect that we'll attract lots of promising new researchers who will enrich the various sub communities as well as the edited guide, given the right encouragement.

Let's all stay patient, polite, and positive smiley - smiley

Thanks for the link TC (who incidently is one of the first people I spoke to on h2g2 and said some constructive things about my early PR stuff smiley - ok).

Strange to think that there was once a time (pre BBC) when the editor/head italic could tell a researcher to go and stick his head in a pig. Though I'm sure the temptation hasn't gone away...

Post 52

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

Ah, what I'm sure would have been the good old days.

Post 53

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

smiley - groan If PR gets any more percentage of those kind of entrys I think I'll have to unsuscribe from the PR for a while, tnot that i comment on entrys that Much, I have too much a sens ethat I ought to know something about hte subject in question smiley - dohsmiley - doh I must get back to do more wirting soon <doh.

Post 54

You can call me TC

Amazing! I can't believe I was here before Otto - (and I can't for the life of me remember what entry I commented on?)

Quite honestly, while I love this place, I still think it's a bit full of itself and that it needs more people like Xolin (that post was a bit untypical - he was a very discerning and intelligent poster after that)

The reaction of Mark Moxon is also typical of the complacency of the PTB at the time. Nothing against Mark - I had a nice conversation with him at a meet soon after and asked him why we were such a homogenous community, and he agreed that more variety would be desirable, but you take the public you can get - those with computers and those who are going to have any idea about the HHGTTG limits the type of people you will attract.

What I object to is that the general idea was then, and is now, that we'd love other people to come and join us, but they must still be on our wavelength, and fit in with our general standards.

Arguments are going to get boring if we all use the same starting point. Sometimes I want to be kicked out of my little Western European/middle class/WASP box and made to take a fresh look at the world and my position in it. This can be done without resorting to swearing, textspeak or inanities.

Hootoo's doing something right, though - look at us :

6 years on Thursday and still going strong. smiley - bubblysmiley - bubblysmiley - cheers

Post 55

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

>>Hootoo's doing something right, though - look at us :

6 years on Thursday and still going strong.<<

. . . because the British taxpayers are paying for the site. Remember, this site falied as a commercial venture.

Post 56

You can call me TC

Yes, quite, but people aren't coming here and contributing because they feel they have to get their money's worth out of their licence fee. Most of us don't (i.e. can't, because we don't live in the UK) pay the licence fee and come here all the same. Because we like to.

During Rupert some of us were even prepared to carry on even if it cost us a couple of quid. Lots of us were put off when the BBC took over, what with all the limitations that brought with it. But the spirit of the place lived on and won in the end.

Nothing's going to stop me celebrating with the rest of them!

smiley - cheerssmiley - cheerssmiley - cheerssmiley - cheerssmiley - cheers

Post 57

Small Rabbit

Amy said "Old fogeys" are generally considered anyone with a 5-digit user number or a user number with 6 digits beginning with 1 (1XXXXX).

Ooh, so close - I'm 200XXX (can't remember the other three digits). Guess I'm just a fogey, rather than an old one!

Post 58

Feisor - -0- Generix I made it back - sortof ...

Small Rabbit,

I just went to your space and noted that, even though you have been here since 2002 you haven't opened your space - can I ask you why not? I know that it's not compulsory, I'm just interested ....

smiley - biggrin

Post 59

Mol - on the new tablet

*waves to Small Rabbit*

Post 60

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Congrats on the 6, Trillian! smiley - bubblysmiley - cake

Mine's coming up this year, as well. My U-number is ALMOST a 5 digit, only missed it by 86!

I'm guessing that just might almost qualify me for fogeydom...smiley - biggrin

SC

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more