A Conversation for Ask h2g2

I do not like Xmas

Post 1

a visitor to planet earth

I haven't enjoyed Xmas for years. Does anyone else out there feel the same way?

I do not like Xmas

Post 2

Midnight Angel (ACE / G~A / GODDESS)

Personally, I think i wouldnt realy bother either if i was on my own but you have to make the effort when you have Children, and try get in to the Christmas spirit.

I do not like Xmas

Post 3

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I do* enjoy Christmas in some respects, and only* because of a couple of things.
First, I have no* Christmas decorations, and do not decorate my house with tree etc or anything.
Second half my friends have never bought Christmas presents for each other.
Third, and mainly, I leave my house and go to my FAthers at Christmas, he does* do the decorations and such like, and it just kinda makes more sense him doing it relaly, I guess cause he always has since we all were kids and such like.
Mainly as I'm back at my FAthers I get to go to loads of pubs I know relaly well, meet loads of people I know that I don't see rest of the year round....
I do* like buying presents for people, unfortuantly I've never useually got many to buy for smiley - sadface though I have bought more this year which is good smiley - smiley I hate spending money on stuff for myself, I get bored with it too quick smiley - erm

I do not like Xmas

Post 4

Odo

I'll send Master B to join you visitor, he hates the festive season to.

I do not like Xmas

Post 5

Beatrice

Well, the thing about it is, you can't really avoid it!

(Bit like your 40th birthday - it'll happen whether you cannot bear the thought of itsmiley - sadface, or embrace it with all its joys and possibilities smiley - somersault)

So accept it's gonna happen, nowt much you can do about it, and try to find one thing about it you like - whether that be the roast turkey, carol singing, the silly jokes inside crackers, time spent with family, a day or 2 or 3 off work, the thought of the January sales, midnight mass, stilton and port, The Great Escape on telly.......

....and anyway, it'll all be over in a couple of weeks smiley - cheerup

I do not like Xmas

Post 6

aka Bel - A87832164

I would probably like christmas if I could spend it the way I'd choose, but as it is, I hate it, same with new year's eve, I'm counting the days till it'll all be over

I do not like Xmas

Post 7

Oh mi BoB that was awful; I was just put on hold on the blower and forced to listen to that awful Christmas song by Slade or some such group smiley - yuk I feel physically sick smiley - ill

I do not like Xmas

Post 8

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I am also Anti-Christmas. I am not a Christian, and do not understand why one day a year gives everyone the right to force false bonhommie on people and expect the recipient to be ecstatic about such effusive praise. I feel that there is a huge amount spent in the build-up and, working in retail, by the beginning of October I am saturated. It is a blessing when the 25th arrives. It is a quiet couple of days for me, although I am going away, for the first time in 15 years, this year.
I do not want to appear 'Bah Humbug', it just seems unfair that those who are not inclined towards an alleged 'Immaculate' birth are expected to enthuse about it. Why???
Why do I not get given days off for Hannuckah, Eid, Diwali or any of the other 'Religious' festivities. Would it not be easier to cancel Christmas and give everyone 2-3 days off a year to celebrate their preferred 'religious' festival.
The above is not intended to disparage anyone's religious beliefs, just that, as an agnostic, I don't hold those beliefs myself.

smiley - musicalnote

I do not like Xmas

Post 9

lettuce all celibrate hoovermass instead smiley - zen

I do not like Xmas

Post 10

a visitor to planet earth

The christians hijacked xmas. It was always a time of celebration for us pagans, plenty of food, drink and women.

I do not like Xmas

Post 11

Cuel, so my 'version' of Christmas where I get totally wasted for a few weeks before and till after new years day, is kinda like the origional idea? smiley - stiffdrink

I do not like Xmas

Post 12

redpeckhamthegreatpompomwithnobson

see it as a stepping stone to new year

I do not like Xmas

Post 13

25 september; hoovermass

I do not like Xmas

Post 14

I think of christmas as 'in', turning inwards; new year blows outwards.....3 cheers for new year

I do like Xmas!!!

Post 15

Bambi - Keeper of Crystals and Royal Heart Royal (The Stag of Balwyniti)

Mazin,

I do actually enjoy Christmas, but I see your point of view.

However, the reason why we get 2-3 days off per year is because we *are* a Christian country. No-one would oject to celebrating a Jewish festival in Isreal (except perhaps the Palesinians smiley - winkeye ) etc., so why shouldn't we celebrate Christmas in a Christian country. Before I get flamed, I am not a card carrying envagelising Christian, I don't go to Church and I am of the opinion that much of what the C of E spouts is rubbish, but I respect the views of others and the traditions of this Country.

Nevertheless, modern Christmas has become so commerciallised, starting earlier and earlier each year. Personally, this aspect is something that I hate - why can't we get back to giving small gifts to a few close friends and having a relaxing time with friends and family...?

Bambi smiley - reindeer

I do like Xmas!!!

Post 16

Christmas is a festival for spending money.......yawn

I detest Xmas!!!

Post 17

Artisan

I dont believe it! Far too much emphasis is put on one bloody day of the year.On top of that it's a financial nightmare, no matter who you are.Two legs has the right idea,let someone else do all the work!,and LuckyStar your right it will be over in a couple of weeks,but doesn't it come round again oh too quickly? I'd ban Christmas completely.It has outgrown it's place in a modern world which has turned it's back on the true meaning of the word.Bah humbug indeed!
Yours sincerely
Victor Meldrew

I detest Xmas!!!

Post 18

its a disease for spending money to get love. A big bloody myth. Why else do so many people hate it/

I detest Xmas!!!

Post 19

I've never relaly bought tons of presents for like every relitive or friend etc... This year was a bit different as I got something for everyone on the course I was on (pretty small group), more than anythign though that was because it will probably* have been teh last time we were togehter as a group smiley - erm now I only relaly get me dad and brother something smiley - erm and useually get me lodger a bottle of alcohol or some such thing smiley - erm

I detest Xmas!!!

Post 20

2legs if you can't be bothered to type legibly don't expect a proper answer. Well done for your stupid present buying spree

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more