A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How many icons/things on your PC desktop?

Post 21

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

I don't think it can ever* have been the fashion to have green brick effect cushioned wallpeper in one's kitchen. I think the people who had the house before me were off their trolley smiley - wahsmiley - erm
I'm now down* to only 40 items on the desktop smiley - erm

Post 22

Now down to 27 items and some of those left are proving awkward to deal with; Must remember not to Install* programs directly to folders on the desktop smiley - headhurts

Post 23

azahar

I think an overly cluttered desktop only becomes a problem when the icons stop being the 'easy access' thing they are meant to be.

I don't have that problem with my desktop with 35 icons - they are all set up clearly and easy to use.

az

Post 24

Yeh... Problem was I had too many individual documents, soudn files and such like that just hadn't found a home; Though I do like keeping a couple of audio files on the desktop as its handy to quickly hit enter and play soemthing to check out audio related things smiley - headhurts I realised in organising it more that there were tons of shortcuts to applications that I ahrdly ever use, or if I do use I get to from a differnt route smiley - headhurts Another consideration is that when I download something, e.G., a new bit of software or audio plugin it useually gets straight to the desktop from wehre I run it/install it/move it to where its ment to be, and then frequently forget to delete the origonal zip file or whatever it is, so having less on the desktop to start with makes it easier to sort out and find these and delete em once they've been installed properly smiley - headhurtssmiley - run

Post 25

Cheerful Dragon

I have 3 icons on my desktop: Recycle Bin, Windows Explorer (prefer it to My Computer, but then my Windoze experience goes back to 3.1.1smiley - yikes), and a game that won't install properly, so it's not in the menus but I can still play it smiley - erm. Anything else is accessed through the Start menus.

Post 26

I'm not really here

I had windows explorer as a short cut on the pc. smiley - biggrin Now I've just got a link to the folder I use most, but it opens the same. I think the first pc I had had windows 3 something on it. I didn't like the menu system, and I've disliked it more each time I upgrade to a new windows, which is why I put everything on the desktop as if I still have that original icons based system thingy.

I don't like the look of the launchy, cos that looks even more annoying!

Post 27

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit at w**k
"Here I have two icons, Recycle bin and one folder.

At home I have five on the XP, just three other folders more.
On the Linux box several dozen, I hardly ever use the desktop as it requires using windows and the machine is still fast used from command line. smiley - magic "

Post 28

Br Robyn Hoode - Navo - complete with theme tune

I keep my games shortcuts on the desktop, along with my computer, recycling bin, and folders to catch downloads (such as the odd file checked my way, not torrent files or anything huge)... I tend to have a folder called, say 'music' on the desktop which will lead to all the music-containing folders, same for pictures. Oh, and uTorrent.

I think I have about ten on my desktop but it's a new laptop and I'm still not sure what I'm doing with it cos it was my brother's and half the stuff I've no idea what it does!

Post 29

Whisky

I tend to use my PC desktop in much the same way as I use my real desk...

Start with it all neat and tidy and wait for it to become completely overrun by junk - then dump the whole lot in the waste bin or an archive and start again...

Must admit, the system works far better with the PC desktop than it does with my 'real life' desk... I've yet to figure out how to get Google Desktop Search to tell me where a certain piece of paper is in one of the dozen filing boxes stacked in a corner of my office.

Post 30

Well I've managed to reduce the desktop to the essentials which is 17 items smiley - erm Took ages to move the bit of software I'd installed on the desktop to the drive route, until I figured out I needed to alter the line in the .ini file that was pointing to the .exe file in the folder on the desktop location smiley - doh
Now I have:
My documents.
My computer.
Recycle bin.
Internet explorer.
My music (shortcut to the folder).
H2G2 (folder with stuff in).
Security (folder with shorrtcuts to all the security software)
Razorlame (shortcut)
Drumsynth (shortcut)
Sonarle
Sonar home studeo.
Three work folders
Guitar tuning fork.
Firefox
My network connections.
err not sure whatelse smiley - erm

Post 31

I keep things like firefox on my startbar, but that's just me smiley - smiley

Post 32

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I haven't clicked an icon since installing Launchy! smiley - smiley

Post 33

But I do like the desktop as its quick to launch things.....
windwos key plus M (takes one to the desktop)
PG down or end (takes me to the last item), hit enter, and I've got sonar running.
Hit M a few thimes and I cycle through mydocuments, music etc or the letter 'G' enter and its the guitar tuning fork I for IE, F for Firefox etc smiley - ermsmiley - blush Mind I still think I much prefered it when I'd just type 'WP@ or 'lotus' etc., from the C prompt smiley - geek (I used to like writing those little batch files foo for launching things) smiley - geeksmiley - erm I probably ought stop using the old PC as a coffee table and set it up and try linux out seeing as how I went to the effort of installing it on to the thing smiley - doh

Post 34

Crescent

None. No taskbar or start button either. Only a system tray. Litestep as a shell with a custom minimal setup - ideal for a dual screen multi-desktop environment. Right click anywhere on the desktop to bring up a customizable, floating start menu. Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 35

I'm not really here

Rumour has it you shouldn't have any files on the desktop, because in the event of a crash they are much harder to recover. I have a lot of shortcuts to folders, although for some reason the contents look different whether I look at them through the shortcut or through the file manager system. Very peculiar. They didn't do that on my last pc.

Post 36

hm... I suppose I could move the folders and just put shortcuts on the desktop...

Post 37

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

Post 38

Menthol Penguin - Currently revising/editing my book

normally its 3 6's that scare people...

Post 39

Researcher U197087

I use this to get Vista to keep its folder settings and otherwise behave properly. http://xenomorph.net/?page_id=336

Post 40

I'm not really here

Just thought I'd update you all - I've got 25 on there now, so it's starting to look more like home! Two are actual files, rather than shortcuts because they are only temporary.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more