A Conversation for Ask h2g2

2nd & 1st person

Post 521

Phil

'Cos his mouse click has less far to travel than yours perhaps, wandrin'gurustar.

2nd & 1st person

Post 522

Is mise Duncan

I don't think so, as our firewall is in Parsipany (US) so my internet connection has to travel the Atlantic twice. I think its due to my brevity, conciseness, absence of etra words, tightly formed posts etc.

2nd & 1st person

Post 523

Phil

That and your absence of eXtra letters as well smiley - winkeye

Still there is a huge amount of UK <-> US bandwidth, so the trip time shouldn't be too great for the loop across the atlantic.

2nd & 1st person

Post 524

Is mise Duncan

True - trunaround is at least 10 times faster ireland<->US tahn Ireland<->Poland, and that was before the French blokaded the IP ports

speed = distance/time ?

Post 525

Phil

Well distance on the internet is a strange concept anyway.

2nd & 1st person

Post 526

Munchkin

So, what are the French demanding now, the use of more é letters in postings that travel across their territory or something?

Gahd! This little Englander attitude is infectious! smiley - winkeye

2nd & 1st person

Post 527

Kaeori

Ok: "Romeo, Romeo, why are you Romeo?" No, even worse than before.smiley - bigeyes

Tell me, why do you Brits get so irritated by the French?

2nd & 1st person

Post 528

Phil

Just because smiley - winkeye

I have heard it's because we're (brits and french) as arrogant as each other and are sure the world revolves around our respective countries/cultures.

2nd & 1st person

Post 529

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

AND we've been fighting each other for centuries......
Remember Agincourt????????

smiley - smiley
'G'

2nd & 1st person

Post 530

Phil

Remember Hastings smiley - winkeye

Still for a while the crown was joined.

2nd & 1st person

Post 531

Is mise Duncan

That's all in the past now chaps - the reason we hate the French these days is the Anelka foul on Owen in last weeks "friendly" smiley - winkeye.

Context

Post 532

threesecondmemory

Context is the key.

Stay lucky...

2nd & 1st person

Post 533

Potholer

A possibly timely cartoon can be found at

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/getfuzzy/archive/cal-35.html

(the Sunday 27th one)

(if this posting is more than a month old, the link won't be useful)

2nd & 1st person

Post 534

Straw Walker

Cats don't burn sheep or blockade the channel ports either!

2nd & 1st person

Post 535

Wand'rin star

Take this bit of the conversation to my new question "Why do the English hate the French?" I've changed it from "British" becuase the Scots,Northern Irish and Weksh seem to put up with the Frogs withour too much bother.

2nd & 1st person

Post 536

Kaeori

Someone in the office explained that the French *feel* superior to the English, whereas the English *are* superior to the French!smiley - winkeye

From what little I know about local history, the Scots and the French used to be close buddies, plotting against the English.

2nd & 1st person

Post 537

amdsweb

I have a Scottish friend, and he is sure that the Scots hate the French almost as much as the English do, and almost as much as the Scots hate the English. I think its probably a case of everybody hating everybody. I doubt anybody can come up with a particularly good reason why though.

2nd & 1st person

Post 538

Wand'rin star

To get back" a nos moutons" (French for get back to what we were talking about), having just spent a day being an oral examiner, I'm wondering why we say "oral" rather than" speaking"Other collocations for "oral" suggest dentistry and it is, incidentally, fiendishly difficult for Chinese students to pronounce.

2nd & 1st person

Post 539

Is mise Duncan

I was trying to reply sensibly but am totally stupified by the image of hundreds of Chinese students trying to pronouce "oral" - what a mental image smiley - winkeye

2nd & 1st person

Post 540

Kaeori

smiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyes

Oral examiner! Dare I ask?

smiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyessmiley - bigeyes

Key: Complain about this post