A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What should we name our story2?

Post 1

Siguy

If you have been following the ongoing story that has been going on in this forum for weeks then you know that it has gotten quite large. It started with one simple thread and then turned into a new thread entitled chapter 2. We are now in chapter 3 and after my suggestion (I love being able to say that) the writers have decided it should have its own guide entry. However we are unsure what to name it. So if you've written in the story or just liked reading it then tell us in this conversation what it should be named. (It may not have to be a title for the story, maybe it would just be a forum devoted to several online evolving stories)

Post 2

Siguy

Just some basic ground rules I think might work for this forum entry about our title. Please atleast read some of chapter 3 before voting. Don't just suggest a name for something you don't even know about. Read some and just try to get a feel for the story. Also the names that are suggested don't really have to be about the particular story. It changes so quickly that we may want a more generic title like "never ending story" or "ongoing stories." The new guide entry that your picking the title for might also have other new stories start in the forum so that is another reason to try not to make it too specific. Ofcourse all titles that are remotely relevant are welcome.
As for how the title will be chosen, well I thought we could have an election of sorts. We have people suggest names for a week or so and then have everyone vote once over a two day period for their favorite. We tally up the votes and then start our new forum and continue the story.
I hope this works out and people don't just do their own thing because it would be terrible if some of the great writers (and insane ones) got split up and ended up in different forums. So please keep your replies relevant and have fun.

Post 3

aPerson, An Angelastic (and alliterative) Acronymaniac

Well, I might as well mention my idea in this thread too... (it's altered a bit in case the guide entry gets other stories started)

How about, 'The amaziing plotless stor(y/ies) which just keep(s) going and going and going... with not one, not two, but a whole heap of superfluous characters - order now and get a FREE dictionary of collective nouns!'

I know it's a bit long, but since the story is neverending I think it needs more than a few words to do it justice. Maybe getting a thesaurus and looking up every word for 'crazy' would be a good description. Well, okay, it would make an awful title but sll, it'd be pretty accurate. Or to quote an ad I rather like, 'Here's to the crazy ones...'

Oh by the way, I'm a she, not a he. :^D

Post 4

Rickshaw Splat

How about simply "Possibly Arthur" with the subtitle suggested by aPerson.

Post 5

Garius Lupus

How about: "The choose your own whatever story"

Post 6

Anonymouse

Speaking of "Ground Rules"... Here's another.. I think we need to be careful about copyrighted titles... "Never Ending Story" as one example. We might actually get on the front page. smiley - smiley

Okay.. My suggestion (and pardon if it's been said, as this is as far as I've gotten in this thread thus far) is....

*drum roll*

The h2g2 Storytellers

Post 7

Notsteve (who is a bo selector)

Okay, the original story started under the name:
"Is this a good idea..."(blah de blah)
We could name the story that.

It could be called "A Story"
Simple I know but rather good I fancy.

Or how about:
The [INSERTSOMETHING HUMOUROUS HERE] Tale.

I like the idea of having the word 'Tale' somewhere in the title.

I also like the aforementioned suggestion of 'Possibly Arthur'

I also like chicken.

Post 8

Anonymouse

Hmm.. I think we're trying to name two different things here... Our story, and an eventual Guide entry to post it and others from... My last suggestion, obviously, was for the page itself.. as to the story? ... Tahlula's Boy? (Which is an atrociously wrong spelling of PA's possibly father, but you get the idea.)

Post 9

Anonymouse

Or "Tales of T's Boy" .. oops.. sorry there. smiley - winkeye

Post 10

Afgncaap5

How about we name the story one thing, and the Guide entry another (and don't tell me that you already thought of that, I know you did, so drop it!). Now, as this story may end one day (sad, but true) we may actually want a new story. So, we just set up a page with a descriptive name for our collection of stories (what's the collective noun for (story?) I rather liked the "The H2g2 Storytellers" for the page name, and for the story itself? We could name it, "Gulliver's Travels Untaken." No, that's probably copyrighted. Hmmm . . . How about, "How to get out of a gam." Okay, I can't think of any good names! I like my page idea, but I can't think of a good name for the story. Oh, wait! How about, "The Transdimensional, International, multi-planetary, time travellers of now!" Fine, don't say it! I can't write names.smiley - smileysmiley - fish

Post 11

Anonymouse

Hmmm.. I think you're onto something with that Gam thing, though... smiley - smiley Uhm... besides that one, some suggestions to circular-file at random smiley - winkeye:

The Gam's Afoot
Dimensional Shifting (A dangerous gam.)
Gams Galore
The Sausage Gam
Gam Followers
Gam Riders in the Sky
 (Yes, I know, too close for copyright comfort, but I thought it was cute. smiley - winkeye)
Gams Aplenty
Gam's Delight
The Gam -- A Noble Breed

Okay, I could go on, but I'll spare you and I won't. smiley - winkeye

Post 12

Anonymouse

Oh! Oh! Oh! *waves paw excitedly* One more, one more! Pweeze, pweeze, pweeze, pwetty pweeze!! Then I promise it will be the last one (at least for a while smiley - winkeye)... Okay, fankoo!

The Gam Danish

*blushes*

'Nonnie

Post 13

Well the person who first had the idea for a story said it was a party game for children... The Guide entry could have (as well as The Story) things other than stories which are sort of games within the forums... you know, sort of theatre-sports stuff but in writing. Then it could be entitled 'h2g2 gaming' or something. h2g2 party gams. The mauve gam room.

Oh, and I like that idea about calling the story Possibly Arthur... (though in fact since Merlin isn't that Merlin, he's Impossibly Arthur) mostly because it would have my idea as a subtitle. smiley - winkeye These gam/game puns could be interesting though.

Actually, the title may as well happen the same way the story did. We could have a forum conversation in that entry called 'The title of this Guide entry' but instead of it discussing what the title should be (like this one does) it could actually have us adding to the title one word at a time until it gets ridiculously long. And every so often whoever created the entry could update the actual name of the entry to be the same as in the forum. Of course, this could mean a huge amount of horizontal scrolling so maybe it should just be a subtitle.

Are we really going to vote on this? It seems the way this conversation is going we'll all agree on something or have at least narrowed the possibilities down just from commenting on them in subsequent posts.

Post 14

Notsteve (who is a bo selector)

How about:
"The story with an irrelevant title"?

Post 15

Afgncaap5

I actually like that. For the story title. For the Guide Entry title, I like "The Mauve Gam Room". I think I'll stand behind that decision, until I have one I like better.smiley - smileysmiley - fish

Post 16

Siguy

I'm starting to think that you are right about the just agreeing thing. There are only a couple of us here and I don't think anyone is violenty pro anything. I like a vague title like the H2G2 story tellers or something like that. I know this wasn't suggested but Afgncaap5 wrote this: "Okay, I can't think of any good names!"

I just think that might be a good humorous title.

Post 17

Hehe... yeah, that would actually be a good title - except that between us we have actually come up with quite a few good names, (you see, I'm sort of torn here because the post right before yours says that my Mauve Gam Room suggestion was good... I don't know who to agree with now!) so maybe it could be, 'Okay, I can't think of any good names!' but with a subtitle saying (unless you think these ones are good) and then list the other suggestions.

Post 18

Anonymouse

Whatever the article's going to be, it probably should be put up before we're in chapter six. smiley - winkeye

Post 19

Garius Lupus

I love the Mauve Gam Room. The only problem is that it is an inside joke - noone else would know what the heck it meant. It would be nice to have a name that could attract new writers (and readers). How about "The Mauve Gam Storytelling Room".

Post 20

Vakuum

Øh.. sorry for asking, but would someone please tell me what a "Gam" is?? I've never seen that word before...

Key: Complain about this post