A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Tibet...Action

Post 1

chaiwallah

New Year and good resolutions fast approach. Here's one you can do, won't take long, and may actually help.

In 2004, Ireland has the Presidency of the EU for the first six months. In February, senior Chinese officials come to Dublin for the EU-China Human Rights Dialogue ( which has made no significant difference to the plight of Tibetans, not to mention Uighurs, Chinese Falun Gong followers, "free" trade unionists, "free" journalists, unapproved Christian churches, environmental activists, advocates of democracy, etc.) under Chinese rule.

smiley - earthWhat You Can Do Now For Tibetsmiley - earth:

Send a card to Mr. Bertie Ahern, TD, the Irish PM ( Taoiseach )
saying,

Dear Mr. Ahern,

Please implement the request made by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, on behalf of his six million Tibetan family, that the EU appoints a Special Representative for Tibet.

Best wishes
(NAME)
(POSTAL ADDRESS)

Address and post the envelope to:

Mr. Bertie Ahern TD
St Luke's
Drumcondra
Dublin 9
Ireland

NB. Bertie Ahern has been quite supportive of Tibet, but all the EU countries tend to hide behind each other, rather than rock the boat, or upset China.

Tibet...Action

Post 2

pdante'

Duly noted,and immenant attendance to your request

Tibet...Action

Post 3

dasilva

I did get a reply from my local MP (England) when I sent an e-mail as part of an online petition (part of a Greenpeace or Friends of the Earth thing I think) - Only Palace of Westminster marked envelope I've had smiley - bigeyes

Anyway, my point being, _someone_ reads these things at least! smiley - laugh

Noted and will act on smiley - zen

Tibet...Action

Post 4

chaiwallah

Thanks pdante and daSilva. If you can, spread the word and the action.
smiley - ok

Tibet...Action

Post 5

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

I'm on my way to the post box. smiley - run

JTG

Tibet...Action

Post 6

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Is it still helpful doing this if one doesn't live in Europe?

Tibet...Action

Post 7

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

I'd like to know that also.smiley - smiley

Tibet...Action

Post 8

chaiwallah

Dear Kea and Abbi,

Yes indeedy, it is perhaps even more helpful if it comes from abroad, shows the scale of the interest. So, pen to paper and write a.s.a.p., and tell your friends, esp on h2g2.

Thanks,

Cheers and a very Happy New Year,

Chaiwallah.

Tibet...Action

Post 9

abbi normal "Putting on the Ritz" with Dr Frankenstein

smiley - ok
Hope you have a Happy New Year too!

Tibet...Action

Post 10

pdante'

Happy new year to you too abbi (i'm just about to watch the film whence came your namesake.looking foward to it as it's sometime now since i've seen it <musicalnote"Puttin on the Ritz"smiley - laugh
Posted my card just now One of Tibetan Prayer Flags(took some time to sort through three postcard albums ,but if you're going to do something every little helpssmiley - magic

Tibet...Action

Post 11

chaiwallah

Thanks, pdante.

As you say, every little helps. And 1 real card posted to a politician is reckoned worth 100 emails, means that 10 probably almost wrote, and shows that at least 1000 people are directly concerned.

Tibet...Action

Post 12

pdante'

smiley - magic(pass it on)

Key: Complain about this post