The Groob

Random (as in 'sooooooooo random')

pwned

and

my bad

Words That Should Be Used Less

Post 262

Elentari

'Like'. I use it far too much and wish I didn't.

It really gets my goat when people say 'literally' when they don't actually mean it.

Post 263

A Super Furry Animal

>> pwned <<

What does this mean?

RFevilgrin>

Post 264

Baron Grim

It's a deliberate typo of "owned", as in after strafing your buddy in a first person shooter you might say:

Z0MG UR s0 PwNd!!1!1 Kawa11i!!'

Which makes you wish for a internet capable Taser.

Post 265

zaphod (1*(18+9+8+7)=42)beeblebricks

PROACTIVE

let's rephrase Newton's Law "Proaction and Reaction are equal and opposite"

Post 266

Secretly Not Here Any More

Legend.

Post 267

Siskin

An entire phrase that is overused especially by politicians be it local or national is "learn the lessons" after a disaster has happened or they've been found out making a right pig's ear of something.

Talk about empty words. They never do learn the lessons, do they. smiley - erm

--
sis

Post 268

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

I agree sis

I would offer its converse as well, usually uttered in a solemn voice by some self-important, self-opinionated, self-appointed spokesperson/do-gooder/NIMBY/victim's relative/friend...

LESSON MUST BE LEARNED!

Never going to happen, love. There will be another next week and the week after and in your back yard again in about 6 months.

t.

Post 269

Rosie

Any way.....!

smiley - biggrin

Actually.....!

smiley - tongueout

and those little dots that are at the end of all my sentences.............smiley - run

Post 270

quotes

I get fed up with hearing about people who say they "made a mistake" when they slept with their mate's girlfriend/ looted a shop/anything really. These are not mistakes, they are deliberate wrongdoings.

Post 271

The Groob

smiley - applause

Post 272

Baron Grim

They mistakenly got caught and they truly regret getting caught.

A friend of mine posted the following on friendfacester the other day and I could think of a snide rebuttal. "You can't make a mistake twice; the second time is a choice."

Post 273

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

Indeed. Once is an accident, twice is careless, three times is deliberate.

t.smiley - winkeye

Post 274

Mrs Zen

My bo hss has a habit of prefixing some of the things he says with "Now, here's the thing...." it's punctuation really, and attention getter, like clearing your throat.

Now, here's the thing: I'm doing it too!

Post 275

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

I'd imagine these have turned up in the thread before but my world is increasingly plagued by them:

Uplift (increase)
Coming/going on stream (becoming available? Being implemented?)
Bottom out (resolve)
Upskill (train)
Partners (as in business partners, when used to mean sponsors.)
Outputs (results)

The most heinous at the moment is an pointlessly suffixed 'going forward':

'We've got to bottom out the upskilling of our partners before the uplifted outputs go onstream, going forward.'

Such language makes it very hard to avoid tittering in meetings.

Post 276

Baron Grim

Mrs Z, I've lived my entire life in Texas and I had never heard people saying, "I tell you what". Its use is similar to what you describe, it's just a punctuation or exclamation. I'd never heard it, or at least never noticed it until King of the Hill came on the TV. Then I was hearing it everywhere. It was always there, I just hadn't noticed it. Of course, now even I say it. smiley - headhurts

As to words that should be used less often, one that has been bothering me for the last couple of decades is the use of "grow" as an active verb specifically in business and political speech. "We want to grow the economy." "We'll grow our market share."

The word 'expand' was just fine. Plants and animals grow just fine on their own, nothing needs to "grow" them. Of course, if you want to grow okra in your garden, go ahead.

Key: Complain about this post