A Conversation for Ask h2g2

leather

Post 1

visualblondie

hi how do you make new leather shoes softer cant stand anymore blisters boo hoosmiley - wah

leather

Post 2

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

I usually break shoes in slowly at home before wearing them out for long periods. I sometimes put 2 pairs of socks on to stretch them a little. This alows feet to harden slowly to new shoes. I try to buy a comfortable make like Hush Puppy which need minimal, if any breaking in.

leather

Post 3

azahar

You can try stuffing wet newspaper into too-tight shoes. When the paper dries it expands and also stretches out the leather.

az

leather

Post 4

swl

Pee in them smiley - biggrin

Other than that, suffer for a few days. It's worth it.

leather

Post 5

Famous_Fi

Vaseline in the sore bits. On the shoes it will soften the leather. On your feet it will help stop the rubbing. Sorted

leather

Post 6

Effers;England.

You can buy something called 'Surgical spirit' from a chemist which when applied to the skin, toughens it, so my mother taught me.

leather

Post 7

swl

Pee's free smiley - biggrin

leather

Post 8

azahar

Gives SWL a *thwack*

Are you helping???

az

leather

Post 9

Primeval Mudd (formerly Roymondo)

Piddling in 'em is a well known technique. My Dad told me about it years ago (which might be why I rarely wear shoes).

leather

Post 10

swl

Has anyone else noticed how often Az hits me?

leather

Post 11

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

You can put a little rubbing alcohol on the leather to break it down a bit (make sure you do it from the inside so you don't damage the finish) and then pound on it with a wooden mallet. Protect the shoe from scuffing with a piece of cloth before you pummel it. That'll take the stiffness out and make it easier to stretch.

leather

Post 12

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

Too long spent in the Romance lands... Very passionate and physical people those continentals.smiley - winkeye

leather

Post 13

U1250369

Buy a professional quality shoe stretcher from your local cobbler. For ladies' shoes, the stretchers go by shoe size and are designed for both low heel and high heel shoes, with bunion attachments smiley - erm

Get a bottle of liquid shoe stretch to spray on your shoes while using the wooden shoe stretcher. If previous posts are to be believed, the liquid shoe stretch will be 100% ammonia.

Or, take the shoes to a professional shoe repair shop. They often use a stretching machine to apply specific pressure and heat precisely where the shoe hurts

leather

Post 14

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Leather? smiley - bigeyes In shoes? Real leather?
Do they still do that?

smiley - footprints
~jwf~

leather

Post 15

Stealth "Jack" Azathoth

As ong as you don't buy your shoes from the likes of Clarks [Clerks?] or "Chav-Feet"... Yes.

leather

Post 16

Effers;England.

Well it's 5 days since this thread was started so I reckon the foot skin must have toughened up by now.

leather

Post 17

U1250369

Else she's got bunions

leather

Post 18

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Leather .. and people hitting each other.... in the same thread.... why wasn't I invited smiley - ermsmiley - blush I find shoes geneally just wear in in a few days walking about, though I do spend most the time without shoes on and so probably have hardened me feet a tadge and can't say I've noticed any trubble with new shoes since yonks back when I got some hiking boots though, having said which, once worn in are the most comfetable pair of shoes I've ever had smiley - ermsmiley - footprints

leather

Post 19

Tabitca

since when did you require an invitesmiley - laugh ?

leather

Post 20

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Good point... p Pass me that leather, think we need to test it smiley - evilgrinsmiley - handcuffs

Key: Complain about this post