A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Can anyone recommend a damn fine book to read?

Post 101

kasese<a rather confused individual, desperately seeking Harmony>

I'm a bit late on entering my thoughts about Thomas Hardy- I devowered his books years ago when I was a young teenager- Jude the Obsucure, being my favourite. Wuthering Heights? I've read it about 4 times!- Don't like Margaret Atwood. Happy Holidays! smiley - smiley

Post 102

DoctorGonzo

Even if you're not interested in journalism, I'd still recommend My War Gone By, I Miss It So by Anthony Loyd. Harrowing yet compelling.

Post 103

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Mina bought me 'Fast Food Nation' last year.

Then spent the rest of the year complaining that I only go into McD's under extreme protest these days...smiley - laugh. She also refused to read it on the grounds that she didn't want to put off fast food...smiley - laugh

<shark.

Post 104

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

It's by Eric Shlosser btw.

And it's nearly as good as George Monbiot's 'Captive State'.

smiley - shark

Post 105

DoctorGonzo

Both suggestions by BS seconded. And if you like those, try anything by John Pilger too. Feargal Keane is an excellent writer too.

Post 106

Hybrid vortex -With teeth

'Satan wants me'.. by Robert Irwin, also author of Exquisite corpse.
Described as Adrian Mole on LSD -Surreal and Brilliant!

Perfume by I forget who, disturbing and brillient, can lead to obsessive smiffing of babies heads.

Post 107

There are sooo many damn fine books-

Wasp Factory (Ian Banks)
THe History of the World in 10 1/2 chapters (Julian Barnes ) - All of his books actually.
A man in self (Tom Wolfe)
Sailor Song (Ken Kessey)

Post 108

Hasslefree

I enjoyed Perfume too, but can't remember the author either.
Years ago I read a book I think was called Chess, which was about the maths of music creating the universe.
No author again
Can anyone recognise this? I'd love to re read it

Post 109

Mycelium

wasp factory; a truly awesome book. i'd also recomend philip k dick's 'ubik' and jeff noon's 'vurt'.

i'm reading michael moore's 'stupid white men' at the moment. good book, both shocking and funny, but hardly life-changing; i've been cynical for years...and it's a conspiracy, i tell you....they're all in on it....they planned it from the beginning....

no, my one recomendation would be 'the tao of pooh & te of pigglet' by benjamin hoff.

Post 110

White Hart

'Perfume' is by Patrick Suskind. I've never read it, though it has been recommended to me in the past.

Post 111

Holda, Goddess of the Wild Hunt

"perfume" smiley - winkeye is a great book, I agree.

"Hitler's War" by David Irving is also an excellent book. Opens your eyes to the real facts behind WW2.

Also, "Grenadier" by Kurt Meyer - what a hunk !!!

smiley - magicsmiley - witchsmiley - diva

Post 112

JD

I will second "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff. That book really did change my life. I wasn't so big on "The Te of Piglet" but it was a very good book also. I'm not sure why, but Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises" made a huge impression on me as did Woolf's "To The Lighthouse." Perhaps it helped that I studied them in a course I was taking, but I got a lot out of those two books.

- JD

Post 113

Hasslefree

Aren't books woinderful things?
I only hope someone has had the presence of mind to buy me one for Christmas (or 2)
Happy Christmas
smiley - holly
smiley - snowball

Post 114

If you're into Theoretical quantum phenomina and cranial carnage-

I recommend
End Of time By John someone or other,
Hyperspace - Machio Kaku
John Gribbin - Schrodingers Cat /Kittens to follow and if you can get hold of Q is for Quantum it's Amaizing..

But the cream has to be GEB ( Godel Esher Bach and the eternal Golden Braid by Hofstander (spelling ack)

By the by Merry Chrimbo, beware of cosmic alligators and deviant christmas minx.

Post 115

Luvkitty69 (heaven is my home)

do not read 'the handmaid's tale' by margaret atwood

the only people who like it are the 30yr olds who like harry potter
or those ppl who read geri halliwell's biography and say its changed their life

it is possibly one of the worse books out there - margaret atwood wat were you taking when you wrote that book?

Post 116

Really.. I saw the flick about 10 years ago.. It wasn't nearly as pukesome as HP and his ludid secretions (Thank you Virgin Radio for that brief inspired radio tale)

Post 117

White Hart

I think 'The Handmaid's Tale' is an amazing book. I thought that the first time I read it, when I was 19.

Of course, I still like it now, and I'm 28, and I *do* like Harry Potter - well, it wouldn't be the first thing I'd go for, but it passes the time nicely between meatier books.

I wouldn't be seen dead reading Geri Halliwell's autobiography though.

'The Handmaid's Tale' is a totally different kettle of fish though. I thought it was very scary in places, definitely thought-provoking...I probably wouldn't say it was Atwood's best book (and I've read most of them...for best I'd probably pick 'The Robber Bride'), but it's certainly worth reading.

What's your objection to it, Luvkitty69?

Post 118

Mycelium

on a similar tip to 'the tao of pooh' and, if anything, more influential is d e harding's 'on having no head'. it's the only book to convince me that i have no head. i know, it sounds daft, but the book discusses the 'headless' way and has methods by which it can be (temporarily) achieved. more zen than tao. (not as if there's much difference)

aww, damnit, there's just too many good books out there, innit?

Post 119

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

I've managed to place myself in the unenviable position of having to wait for the next Margaret Atwood - I've read all the others!
The Handmaid's Tale was one of my set texts at school - and it and The Great Gatsby I emerged still enjoying. I think it's fantastically perceptive, and the freedom to do things vs freedom from things debate is intriguing.

but then I also love Harry Potter...

Post 120

Luvkitty69 (heaven is my home)

the problem wit the handmaid's tale is if you've read any good books before it u realise how rubbish it is - anyone who reads harry potter does not count in this arguement cus that is also rubbish if you know anything about anything
the handmaids tale is very well thought out unfortunatly atwood does not have the ablity to write it, the historical notes at the end of the book conflict with the actually way the book is written - atwood wants you to believe that the story is on tape and was written after the events took place when you read the book it is impossible to believe that - the book is written to emphasis the dramatic irony and doesnt work - its unfortunate that atwood isnt the best writter in the world ( and if she is it doesnt come across in this book) i think that the idea for the book is good its just not well written

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more