A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Snobs... RANT

Post 1

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

...class system, superiority etc.

I am 'working-class' in that my parents are manual workers. I will be 'working-class' when I attain independence, because my chosen career is likewise a skilled manual one. IMHO the only use for the class system is to categorise jobs.
However, I never even considered that the class system still existed (in form of opinions) until I heard certain people discussing their middle-classness, and generalising and slagging off those 'below' them.

The other day I was in a VERY fancy curtain shop buying silk that had to be spesh'ly ordered in. I was wearing a large fleece thing and old boots, (as opposed to shiny court shoes and a feminine coat) and had walked a fair way so I was not at my polished best. However, I'm hygeinic. One of the women who served me- despite being shorter- looked down at me and proceeded to inform me, in a sniffy voice, that my order had not been placed cos I hadn't paid a deposit. I said I'd specifically asked if one was needed, and had been told it wasn't necessary. She said, well you have to pay one, and that the man who'd taken my order didn't know that. He works in carpets, apparently, and didn't know what to do re. curtains. I thought, it's not my fault your staff are incompetent, and don't look at me like that. Then she looked at the order book and said, 'I bet he hasn't even spoken to them.' I told them I'd left my phone number in case there was a problem- no one had checked for 2 weeks? or thought to inform me? ah, but since the man didn't know owt about curtains, he couldn't be blamed. Fine. I said I'll pay yer deposit. And was then told that small orders couldn't be placed on their own. I said I'd asked what the minimum amount was, and been told I'd get a call if there was owt wrong. But of course... the man didn't know that, you see! joy.

I don't think I've ever felt so common.
Next time I go in, I'll be wearing my best frock and fancy coat, and see if they like me any better.

Ok, it was nice to rant about that. smiley - smiley Feel free to feast on.

Snobs... RANT

Post 2

Dorothy Outta Kansas

Ahem "Excuse me, but I would like to use my money in your shop. Please allow me to purchase this material." [The posher the accent, the better the service!]

Try "Could I take your name, please? I would like to speak to the manager."

Generally, the more you sound as if you have the right to be there, the better the service. Next time you're there, remember you *deserve* to have them lick your boots. And while you're at it, try the simple exercise of making believe they're inferior to you!

And never forget that the Upper Classes [sic] go for walks with old clothes on, let alone fart and swear.

Have a good time, and let me know how you get on!

x x Fenny (UT)

Snobs... RANT

Post 3

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

Mostly, someone making a point of their Middle-Classness (correct usage since it's how they describe themselves) makes me feel superior, because they're showing what a goon they are.
The curtain shop was the only time I've felt common. In that situation, I end up speaking/acting as non-posh as possible, to make them feel uncomfortable. (the way I talk at the moment is all over the place, which is fun.)

Ta for vote of confidence. I noticed the idea of class being mentioned in other threads, I don't want it to spread on this site.

Upper-classes (so-called); they're the commonest of the lot!

Snobs... RANT

Post 4

Cheerful Dragon

Snobbery has nothing to do with a person's class. I'm of working class parents and regard myself as classless because I'm a software engineer, which isn't regarded as a 'working class' job. I went to the best school in Coventry (academically) because I got a scholarship. It was regarded as 'the snobs' school' because a lot of the kids' parents could afford to pay fees. The kids were better behaved than at some of the local comprehensives, but not by much. There was no snobbery in *them*. I don't know whether the attitude of the people who called it 'the snobs' school' was inverted snobbery or jealousy.

You'll find the attitude you encountered in places other than fancy fabric stores. It's not uncommon in car dealers, and not just expensive ones like BMW and Mercedes. Walk in in jeans and a T-shirt and some salesmen (who can be as working class as you) will act like you're not there, regardless how much money you have to spend. Walk in smarlty dressed and they're all over you.

Snobs... RANT

Post 5

Tube - the being being back for the time being

How about:
"Look here good woman. I came here to buy this fabric to decorate the offices of my company. I did not come here to discuss the internal organisation of the shop you are working in." smiley - winkeye

Snobs... RANT

Post 6

I'm not really here

Have you ever seen Pretty Woman? The same thing happens to her.
'I don't think we can help you' or words to that effect.
Go back in and tell them you're an eccentric millionaire and are going to order it off the net now.

Snobs... RANT

Post 7

Conceited Little Megapuppy - Inbound traveller and Unas Matriarch

I can relate to the inverted snobbery issue.

I went to a local comprehensive school, which was populated by people from New build estates of owned homes, bought out council homes and rented council homes.

We lived in one of the new build estates, which was sitting on the outskirts of one of the supposedly 'posher' parts of the School's catchment area. Now, whilst we were comfortably off enough to afford to live on that estate, this was through my Dad working hard and managing to obtain promotions at his office; not through some form of privilege or anything (do I sound bitter? I hope not, 'cos I'm actually very proud of my Dad for doing that - he's retired now and by gum he's earned that retirement).

Unfortunately for us, and anyone else who came from there, the older parts of the area were occupied by quite grand homes and wealthy people (also in the main people who had worked for their money).

This was instant social suicide for us at school, as the kids in the council estates would have nothing do do with us as soon as they found out where we lived.

And (this is the good bit) they called *us* snobs!smiley - yuk

On the issue of class, it's something I've never considered, as my parents did their best to instil the virtue of accepting all people as equally valid (I'm really grateful for that, by the way). I'm not presumptuous enough, or arrogant enough, to believe that I am completely free of prejudices - I'm not; but I try very hard to be. All forms of snobbery deny us the chance to meet great people and experience new things.

If I *had* to pigeonhole myself like that, my lifestyle would proclaim me as middle class - but what about the fact that I support myself by working? Doesn't that qualify my as working class too?

The joy (?) of social stereotyping!

smiley - musicalnotesmiley - dog

Snobs... RANT

Post 8

Cloviscat

There is never an excuse for staff in shops to be rude.

(Having said that, unless the staff are rude to you, it's not always fair to be rude to them: to have a go at someone who's not in a postition to have a go back is called bullying. NOT, Mandragora, that I'm accusing you of bullying, I've just been on the receiving end of it from customers in my time)

I work with a rather bizarre bunch of people, among which are three peers of the realm, and I've found that the people who really are v high up blue blood wise are utterly charming, it's the ones lower down, who are trying too hard to prove their status, that are uppity - anyone else found that?

...I take vicarious pleasure in going into Laura Ashley in my scruffiest clothes and have them follow me into the changing room, then come back in a power suit and see the difference - very funny....

Snobs... RANT

Post 9

Orcus

Hmmm, find another curtain shop and tell them so too. Preferrably the shop's manager.

That was just rudeness.

Snobs... RANT

Post 10

Kaz

Or maybe a letter to your local paper, that can have quite an effect, and if its a slow news week, they might want to follow it up!

Snobs... RANT

Post 11

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

I've run across the same thing, Cloviscat. Generally people who have money and are used to it are some of the most gracious, delightful customers. It's the wannabes and newly wealthy who seem to feel that part of what they're paying for is an opportunity to torture the salespeople. I guess it makes them feel important. smiley - laugh I was always enchanted with the pretentious fools who came to the CHANEL counter and told me that everything they own is CHANEL, and then they bitch at me for ten minutes because they think it's ridiculous to pay $21 for a lipstick. hehehe I never was one of those snobby cosmetics people, but I sure learned how to play the part once a customer displayed that sort of behavior. I loved telling them that CHANEL is a luxury item, that there are plenty of more cost-effective products on the market, and it's their decision whether they felt they deserved it, but the prices are NOT negotiable.

Snobs... RANT

Post 12

Tube - the being being back for the time being

smiley - laughsmiley - ok

Snobs... RANT

Post 13

Dorothy Outta Kansas

Ooh, if you write to your local paper, Mandragora, make sure the words aren't too long!

x x Fenny (UT)

Snobs... RANT

Post 14

Mother of God, Empress of the Universe

By the way, I didn't mean to imply that ALL people are like that. Most of the customers are a pleasure to work with, no matter what their circumstances are. And I have seen plenty of the type of prejudice that Mandrake was talking about in her initial rant. It's not right, whichever direction it goes in.

Key: Complain about this post