A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What are some Essential Jazz Recordings!???

Post 1

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

List, please.... essential jazz recordings. If possible, please include the name of the artist or band, album title, and record label.

smiley - musicalnote

Post 2

DoctorGonzo

Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is pretty essential, I would say. Have a look at the mojo4music website, there may be a buyer's guide. smiley - smiley

Post 3

the autist formerly known as flinch

Chet Baker: "Chet" (Riverside Records, RLP-1135) A terrific instrumental LP, on my turntable at the moment...

Post 4

::waits for a mention of Louis Armstrong or Ella Fitzgerald::

I think "Fine and Mellow" by Billie Holiday is noteworthy. I made a funny. smiley - winkeye

Post 5

Dancer (put your advert here)

The Birth of Cool - Luie Armstrong
Saxophone Collosus - Sonny Rollings
Anything by Charlie Parker or Theloneous Monk.

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 6

Dearheart, Miles Davis did the Birth of Cool.... smiley - hug Unless this is another birth....!??

Post 7

the autist formerly known as flinch

You can buy a cd box set of Louis Armstrong's complete Hot 5 and Hot 7 recordings, it's five cd's and costs about £12 - the reproductions great and the mastering fine, it's the cheekiest, swingingest, and god damn jazziest little bargain you'll ever lay your hands on - get to the shops now! (it doesn't have his pop hits (What a WOnderful World, Hello Dolly, Caberet etc) - get the Greatest Hits album for tat stuff, but this is far better.

Also get the "The Definitive Charlie Parker" set, 8 LP's which cover all of his Verve recordings as a band leader - there's a lot of repetition (not the tune "Repetition" you understand, that's just on once!) but the different solo's make that more than worthwhile. The albums are on Verve or Metro, depending on which issue you get.

Post 8

Dancer (put your advert here)

Oops sorry, 't was Miles Davis.

BTW, there's a series of "Modern types of Jazz" called The rebirth of cool. It's worth a listen, I like the 6th compilation the best.

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 9

Gullibility Personified

Take Five, Dave Brubeck
And any others of his, there's one I like in particular but I can't remeber the name.

Post 10

YAY!!! I love that one... just listened to it only a couple of ties this morning... smiley - winkeye

Charles Mingus, Count Basie, and Jelly Roll Morton are among my favorites...

Yesterday I saw a commercial for Time Life's Jazz Collection... Talk about smiley - musicalnote timing... smiley - winkeye

Don't you sometimes wish you had thousands of dollars to spend on music, and then the time to listen to it?!?

Thanks for all the input... keep it coming.... smiley - winkeye

Post 11

Knifee, Thingite in charge of stuff you shouldn´t run with. Back from being away

i would say that ´Quintette Du Hot Club De France´ by Stephane Grappelli & Django Reinhardt is pritty essential. Maybe not quite the same as the jazz listed above but its such a great album....

Post 12

....yeah... he's cool... Gypsy guitarist...

If I ever have to own a dog, I want to name it Django or Hejduk(Hay-duke). Hejduk is currently an Avalanche(Colorado Hockey) player. YAY!!

Post 13

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Dave Brubeck - Unsquare Dance
Herbie Hancock - Cantaloupe Island
Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance
Pat Metheny - James, First Circle, Last Train Home
Dave Grusin - Mountain Dance
Bob James - Angela
Gershwin - Summertime, Rhapsody in Blue, Nice work if you can get it (the Larry Addler/Sting version is pretty good!)
Weather Report - Birdland

And many many more...

Key: Complain about this post