This is the Message Centre for Number Six

Hopefully not lost for words...

Post 1

Number Six

I'll be doing my first ever full match on-air commentary tomorrow. Brentford v Yeovil Town, live from Griffin Park on BBC Somerset Sound 1566AM. I'm looking forward to it, but a bit nervous.

I've done lots of off-air commentating over the last year - where BBC London would record me but only use it when there'd been a goal, so when you're doing that you don't have to commentate during the dull bits when nobody looks like scoring.

Equally, I'll have a pundit alongside me, which I've never had before. It shares a lot of the load - it's quite hard to carry an entire 90 minutes on your own.

It's one of those situations where the component parts are nothing I've not done before, it's just a question of putting it all together for the first time.

smiley - mod

Post 2

psychocandy-moderation team leader

Good luck!

I wish I could listen to one of your commentaries sometime.

Post 3

Danny B

smiley - wow

Hope it goes well and you get plenty of action to comment on! smiley - football

Post 4

Number Six

smiley - cheers

smiley - mod

Post 5

broelan

Best of luck, Six! Let us know how it goes - those of us who can't listen in...

smiley - cheers

Post 6

Trin Tragula

Yes, good luck! smiley - boingsmiley - goodluck

Post 7

Danny B

Do you know who your pundit is yet? Anyone we might have heard of..?

Post 8

Otto Fisch ("Stop analysing Strava.... and cut your hedge")

Ron Atkinson?

Good luck with it.. and enjoy!

"He's got football pie all over his shirt!"

Post 9

McKay The Disorganised

All the best 6 - Looking forward to you replacing TFT Baker.

smiley - cider

Post 10

Mu Beta

Here's hoping your pundit isn't David Pleat. smiley - cheers

B

Post 11

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Maybe it'll be Derek Pololol...thingy smiley - tongueout

You'll breeze it mate smiley - ok

Post 12

Trout Montague

Can i-tune in anywhere?

Post 13

Trout Montague

Good luck. Ronald Reagan used to make it up.

Post 14

Trout Montague

Exciting end, especially for you cider-swillers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_div_2/5373432.stm

ooh-arr.

How did you go?

Post 15

Trout Montague

Is that Marcus Stewart the one that used to feature in sentences containing prolific and Ipswich?

Post 16

Number Six

It certainly is. He's doing rather well since being farmed out on loan by Bristol City. It went OK - could have been better, could have been worse - and all-in it's a good thing to have got my first one under my belt.

You can hear the post-match interviews I did here...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/sport/audio_archives/yeovil_town_audio_archive_0607_feature.shtml

All four of them. Interviewing's the best part of my game at the moment, I've done a lot of pre-match stuff since I came down here.

I'll see if there's anything else out the on t'interweb.

smiley - mod

Post 17

Number Six

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/bristol_aod.shtml?bristol/sport

You can hear the last hour and a half of Bristol Saturday Sport on the above link. I'm just listening to it now, it starts at five o'clock and the second thing on is my commentating on all three goals.

I'm going to listen to it now to see what else is on there - I think all four of my interviews got on, but not until just before six. So it'll be interesting to see what's in the middle bit.

smiley - mod

Post 18

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Good stuff.

So the question on everones lips (or on mine at least!) is when will you get to do the mighty Greens?

Post 19

Number Six

It'd be very difficult to replace Sparksy... like Martin O'Neill with Alex Ferguson, I'd much rather be the bloke who replaces the bloke who replaces him.

Anyway, I've got a bit of work on to convince the Yeovil fans the way things sound. I'm listening to a couple of callers on the phone-in, who disagree with the way I called the game. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, and if I'm wrong I think I'd put my hand up and say I was.

But having watched football from a variety of positions around various grounds, I know you see a completely different game of football when you watch from an 'end' - and I was viewing the proceedings from high in the main stand level with the halfway line where you get a very good idea of the balance of play. Yeovil did well, and it's not like they didn't deserve the win, but the fact remains that excluding the first ten minutes and the last five, Brentford had much more possession and created more chances. So I'm a little bit miffed to hear people think I was talking nonsense.

It doesn't help that I'm not used to this level of scrutiny. Having previously been on BBC London, where there are something like 13 teams to get round, the phone-ins only get one or two callers on per club. Yet having followed Argyle for so long, I should have been expecting it - even the legendary Gordon Sparks on BBC Radio Devon still gets his share of people complaining about him.

I suppose it's the spin you put on things. I'll learn. If I'd said something like 'Yeovil did well to absorb long periods of pressure from the home side' rather than 'Yeovil rode their luck at times' it would probably have gone down a lot better...

smiley - mod

Post 20

Ferrettbadger. The Renegade Master

Well I think yhou have to call what you see. In the long run the fans will respect you more that way.

Key: Complain about this post