A Conversation for Genesis - the Band

And now for something completely different...BISHMILLAH !!

Post 41

alicat (Patron Saint of Good Taste)

Good tune,TM. Love the lyrics. *smiles* Happy Groundhog Day.smiley - fish@


And now for something completely different...BISHMILLAH !!

Post 42

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

Nice one TM.

I think you have just given me th inspiration to write a choon for the two scousers that I work with. All about nicking car wheels etc, their joke not mine - I wouldn't want to type cast scousers - well, not much anyhowz. Harry Enfield has been there and done that far better than I.


And now for something completely different...BISHMILLAH !!

Post 43

TowelMaster

Did you check out this one then ?

http://www.h2g2.com/forumframe.cgi?forum=12367&thread=37892

TM.


Yes, I remember

Post 44

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

Try Dream Theatre. I believe their music is of this ilk, although I have yet to hear any. Any researchers out there that could recommend some of their work for a try out?


Yes, I remember

Post 45

TowelMaster

"Not about you" by DT is quite good, nice solowork. I'm not at home atm so I don't know the mane of the album but it's only a couple of years old.

TM.


Yes, I remember

Post 46

alicat (Patron Saint of Good Taste)

Just dropped in to say hi TM. Hi TM. smiley - smiley


Yes, I remember

Post 47

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

alicat.

It seems I bump into you all over the place. I suppose that's the point of being here though!


Yes, I remember

Post 48

TowelMaster

Hi ya all..

TM.


Yes, I remember

Post 49

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

Well TM, This seems to be going nowhere right now, so I'll have to think of a new thread......


Yes, I remember

Post 50

TowelMaster

Go on Bassman, make my day... smiley - winkeye

Just so you tell me where it is o.k. ?

TM.


Yes, I remember

Post 51

Obscure

I'm still waiting for a reply, or have the times of talented musicians died, or am I just too old?


Yes, I remember

Post 52

TowelMaster

Reply..... smiley - winkeye

Reply to what Obscure ?

TM.


Yes, I remember

Post 53

Obscure

Sorry we have a crossed connrction, I had been saying in another forum, about how there were no bands this day that have, for lack of a better word, concept albums, like Genesis and Yes, the days of long, singular tracks have gone, even in this day of 'retro' music, this has not been re-created, is it that its all been done, or are the new artists (hack, hack) are only in it for commercial reasons?


Yes, I remember

Post 54

TowelMaster

Well first of all I think that lyrics on the whole where much better, or at least 'deeper' between 1965 and 1985, than they have been in the last decade or so. And I mean in general of course, there are still plenty of good lyricists around. But you do need good lyrics to come up with a concept-album. After all, they are what defines a concept-album.

In my band I try to do it the other way around : first write lots of lyrics and then try to find the concept. This often works because one's subconsious usually sort of 'links' the songs.

It's basically the way that for instance Klaatu wrote 'Hope'. Side one originally consisted of separate songs, but when the composers heard them, they dedided to link them and write side 2 of the LP so that it would become a concept-album.


TM.


Yes, I remember

Post 55

TowelMaster

Of course in those days most of the lyrics were garbage too, we just forgot about them. Only the strong survive...

TM.


Yes, I remember

Post 56

Obscure

I understand what you are saying, I don't necessarily agree though. Yes many of the lyrics may not have made sense, especially Jon Anderson of Yes, the beginining of one of his verses normally has no relation to the end of the verse, and many times was him just making a sound of some sort. But the compositional element of each piece was harmonious, much can be made of just sounds, whether created by an instrument or a human voice. Most 'classical' pieces have no vocals at all, but the power that can be evoked is incredible. And the mental images (even without the help of various narcotics) can be stimulating.
One of my all time favourites is Scheherazade by Rimsky-Korsakov, and If I have the time to just sit back and listen get mental images of Ali Baba and Arabian nights.
To sum up; inteligible, or deep, lyrics are not everything, they can help, in making a piece of music enjoyable. I long ago gave up trying to read deep meaning into a song. Not to say that many are not poetically pleasant, while also sounding good (Cat Stevens springs to mind).
I'll get off my soap box now.


Yes, I remember

Post 57

Bassman - Funny how people never ceases to amaze me!

Obscure / TM.

I personally have always had difficulty writing lyrics, I think I just tried too hard to make them deep and meaningful. I suppose I always envisaged myself writing for a band like early Genesis or early Marillion. What chance would I have against wordsmiths such as them!!


Yes, I remember

Post 58

TowelMaster

Yes. And you have spoken English from the day you were born(sic).
Imagine what it must be like for a 'foreigner' to write lyrics...


Obscure : I was referring to bad lyrics, like everything by Boney Z...
And what about Smokey, Tina Charles, etcetera ? I'm very sorry, I think that's a disgrace to lyrics-writing.

TM.


Yesterday a warning came a smile upon your face
Caesar's Palace, Morning glory, Silly human race
On a sailing ship to nowhere leaving any place
If the summer changed to winter yours is no disgrace...


Key: Complain about this post